[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Baseball Record is the Most Impressive?

whitem0nkey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to disagree with this. Jimmy Rollins recently went 38 consecutive games, Luis Castillo went 35, Paul Molitor had 39. I know they all fell short but someone will break this record. I believe his name will be Albert Pujols who in 2003 had a 30 game streak in his 3rd, yes 3rd year in the league.

1438337[/snapback]

35, 38 and 39 are not close to 56. Not even remotely. I do think DiMaggio's streak will be broken one day, but it's gonna be a long time coming. Until then, I still think Dimaggio's streak of hitting a round ball with a round bat successfully 56 games in a row is an unbelievable achievement.

Guest Cherni
35, 38 and 39 are not close to 56.  Not even remotely.  I do think DiMaggio's streak will be broken one day, but it's gonna be a long time coming.  Until then, I still think Dimaggio's streak of hitting a round ball with a round bat successfully 56 games in a row is an unbelievable achievement.

1438813[/snapback]

39 games is 70% of the way to the record I hear what you're saying. It's extremely difficult. All I'm saying is that people have and will continue to chase that record whereas the other choices above are virtually impossible to catch. No one's coming close to Rickey, Ryan, Rose. The "easiest" record to break is Joey D's.

The reason I don't like Joe's as much as some of the others, is that a marginally talented player could break it. Get on a hot streak for a couple of months and it's done (granted, it's a very difficult thing to do, but you don't have to be a great player to do it). Hitting 700 homeruns, striking out 5,000 guys, pitching 7 no-hitters, etc. takes a great player.

Just so happens that Joe has the record and was a great player, but if Kenny Landreaux or one of the others in the top 10 could break it, it lessens it's significance a little to me.

35, 38 and 39 are not close to 56.  Not even remotely.  I do think DiMaggio's streak will be broken one day, but it's gonna be a long time coming.  Until then, I still think Dimaggio's streak of hitting a round ball with a round bat successfully 56 games in a row is an unbelievable achievement.

1438813[/snapback]

Didn't Joe D go on a 20 game hitting streak after his 56 game streak ended?

The reason I don't like Joe's as much as some of the others, is that a marginally talented player could break it.  Get on a hot streak for a couple of months and it's done (granted, it's a very difficult thing to do, but you don't have to be a great player to do it).  Hitting 700 homeruns, striking out 5,000 guys, pitching 7 no-hitters, etc. takes a great player.

Just so happens that Joe has the record and was a great player, but if Kenny Landreaux or one of the others in the top 10 could break it, it lessens it's significance a little to me.

1438842[/snapback]

That is kind of how I feel about no hitters. Hideo Nomo has what?...two or three no hitters, but you'll never convince me he is a great pitcher. Greg Maddux is probably one of the top two pitchers of this generation but he doesn't have one. I would also add, Ryan stands apart in this regard.

Edited by I Like Soup

Guest Cherni
Can't believe that there is a list like this and Ripken's streak isn't even on it?????  :D NO ONE WILL EVER BEAT THAT ONE, the others are at least a little attainable, albeit some most likely won't happen, but Ripken's is good as GOLD!!!!!!

1438936[/snapback]

Taking nothing away from what he accomplished, there were times when he SHOULD have been sitting but didn't. I'm not going to go as far as calling him selfish, however there were instances where it would have been better for his team for him to be riding the pine. However he was chasing the record. They were few and far between but it happened.

Even though it's been shaken somewhat in the last decade or so, I still love baseball. Even football can't generate discussions like this, with about 10 different records contending for "most impressive", all with a genuine claim.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Even though it's been shaken somewhat in the last decade or so, I still love baseball.  Even football can't generate discussions like this, with about 10 different records contending for "most impressive", all with a genuine claim.

1439207[/snapback]

:D

My wife wants to write in and vote for Nolan Ryan's 5,714 career strikeouts.

1439168[/snapback]

Tell her that's okay as long as she makes us a sammich :D

Oh and I looked at that stat yesterday. Given the games played Clemens is just as impressive in this regard IMO. Ryan played 807 games for 7.08 k's per game. Clemens has 4,502 in 672 games for 6.70. However, Clemens strikeout/walk ratio is 3-1 while Ryan's is 2-1. We have been very lucky to watch a pitcher like Clemen's entire career. I watched the last 10 years or so of Ryan's.

Guest Cherni
Even though it's been shaken somewhat in the last decade or so, I still love baseball.  Even football can't generate discussions like this, with about 10 different records contending for "most impressive", all with a genuine claim.

1439207[/snapback]

That's the beauty of baseball. Good point there Ursa. :D

Were all stat people since were at a fantasy site, and baseball is the best sport to talk stats.

Its a team sport but its a one on one match up each at bat.

Football is such a team sport that talking stats is harder because individual stats are so tied to the teammates around that player.

1439207[/snapback]

+1

Were all stat people since were at a fantasy site, and baseball is the best sport to talk stats.

Its a team sport but its a one on one match up each at bat.

Football is such a team sport that talking stats is harder because individual stats are so tied to the teammates around that player.

1439682[/snapback]

Which is why Barry Sanders is a better RB than Emmitt Smith. :D

Sorry, I know this is a baseball thread but I couldn't help it.

Guest Cherni
I have to go with Sam Crawford's 309 career triples.  It not something you see every game so pretty impressive to hit over 300 of them. :D

1441265[/snapback]

As the most impressive feat in baseball? Sam Crawford???? :D

EDIT: Ty Cobb had 295 triples as well as the hit title for a very long time. If you're going to go with Crawford you HAVE to go with Cobb as his accomplishments far eclipse Crawford's.

Edited by Cherni

As the most impressive feat in baseball? Sam Crawford???? :D

EDIT: Ty Cobb had 295 triples as well as the hit title for a very long time. If you're going to go with Crawford you HAVE to go with Cobb as his accomplishments far eclipse Crawford's.

1441360[/snapback]

Well, I think the thread was what record is most impressive regardless of who accomplished it. With Cobb being close to Crawford's career triple total, that kind of makes it less impressive since someone approaches the record.

Edited by I Like Soup

I have to go with Sam Crawford's 309 career triples.  It not something you see every game so pretty impressive to hit over 300 of them. :D

1441265[/snapback]

That was more indicative of that era when the playing fields were a lot bigger. Now a lot of those hits would either be doubles, as it would hit the fence sooner or the fielder has less space to cover getting thg the ball sooner, or the longer hits would be home-run balls.

Most impressive non-streak stats (I bolded the ten hitting and the ten pitching stats that I thought were the most impressive and least likely to ever be broken):

Hitting:

.367 career batting average -- Ty Cobb (note: only one other player is over .346 career, Rogers Hornsby at .358)

755 career home runs -- Hank Aaron

2297 career RBIs -- Hank Aaron

2295 career runs scored -- Ricky Henderson

4256 career hits -- Pete Rose

1406 career stolen bases -- Ricky Henderson (note: 2nd place is 938 by Lou Brock)

792 career doubles -- Tris Speaker (note: only four players have more than 665, second place being 746)

309 career triples -- Sam Crawford

.690 career slugging percentage -- Babe Ruth (note: only two other players are above .611...Ted Williams at .634 and Lou Gehrig at .632)

14,053 career at bats -- Pete Rose (note: only one other player has more than 11,988 at bats...Hank Aaron with 12,364)

15,861 career plate appearances -- Pete Rose (note: only one other player has more than 13,940 career plate appearances...Carl Yastrzemski with 13,991)

3,562 career games -- Pete Rose (note: only one other player has more than 3,298 games...Carl Yastrzemski with 3,308)

2,335 career walks -- Barry Bonds (note: only one other player has more than 2,062 walks...Ricky Henderson with 2,190)

2,597 career strikeouts -- Reggie Jackson (note: only one other player has more than 2003 career strikeouts...Sammy Sosa with 2,194)

.482 career on base percentage -- Ted Williams (note: only one other player is above .443...Babe Ruth at .469)

1,477 career extra base hits -- Hank Aaron (note: Stan Musial with 1,377 is the only one other player has more than 1,356)

Pitching:

511 career wins -- Cy Young (note: Walter Johnson is the only one other pitcher over 373 wins...and he had 417)

.182 career ERA -- Ed Walsh

5714 career strikeouts -- Nolan Ryan

1251 career games -- Jesse Orosco (note: only one other pitcher has more than 1071...John Franco at 1119, and he's still pitching)

815 career games started -- Cy Young (note: only one other pitcher has more than 756, Nolan Ryan at 773)

7456 career innings pitched -- Cy Young (note: only two other pitchers have more than 5404.1 innings...John Galvin at 6003.1 and Walter Johnson at 5914.1)

749 career complete games -- Cy Young (note: only one other pitcher has more than 554, John Galvin at 646)

110 career shutouts -- Walter Johnson (note: only one pitcher has more than 79, Grover Cleveland Alexander at 90)

7,092 career hits allowed -- Cy Young (note: only one pitcher has allowed more than 5,601 hits...John Galvin with 6,405)

2,795 career walks -- Nolan Ryan (note: Steve Carlton is in second place on this list with 1,833)

Edited by muck

Hitting:

.367 career batting average -- Ty Cobb (note: only one other player is over .346 career, Rogers Hornsby at .358)

You forgot Joe Jackson (Shoeless Joe).

Pitching:

110 career shutouts -- Walter Johnson (note: only one pitcher has more than 79, Grover Cleveland Alexander at 90)

The one I picked!

1441826[/snapback]

Guest Cherni
Well, I think the thread was what record is most impressive regardless of who accomplished it.  With Cobb being close to Crawford's career triple total, that kind of makes it less impressive since someone approaches the record.

1441723[/snapback]

That makes sense. I just don't think the record for triples in itself is an impressive record. Compared to all the other accomplishments listed in the thread this one is by far the least impressive. Speed is a god given talent. Rickey made the most of his speed (and skill) by stealing over 1400 bases. Crawford just ran like a maniac when he got a hit. Is it impressive, sure, but is even close to impressive as any of ther other records? IMO I don't think so.