[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pancakes

Chief Dick

Ok people. My wife has butchered her last pancake breakfast. From now on I am taking over the pancake making in this household. She usually uses the boxed mix.

I need some good tips, recipes, techniques on making the perfect pancake.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok people. My wife has butchered her last pancake breakfast. From now on I am taking over the pancake making in this household. She usually uses the boxed mix.

1455397[/snapback]

My mom-Momma PD always used the BisQuick mix, and they were always fabulous, then again she taught me all I know about cooking and is regarded around all my circles of family and friends as the best cook they know, so try the BisQuick mix CD.

1455397[/snapback]

Bisquick.

Use the extra egg. Fluffier cakes.

Add salt and pepper into the mix. Not a ton...just a resonable amount based on how much you are making.

A bit of Vanilla syrup in the mix is pretty good as well.

I believe the mix calls for milk and not water, but either way milk is the way to go. I wouldn;t mess with buttermilk.

Cast iron IMHO is a must. Use a medium temperature that lets the pancake rise but not burn on the bottom. Flip only once and DON'T press.

And use real butter in the pan, unless you are planning on going gay.

If you really want to go crazy, cook up some bacon first so that it is on the crispy side (but be careful of burning it). Crumble up the bacon and mix it into the pancake mix. Bacon pancakes. It's what's fer dinner.

cd.... i'm going to give you something a little different. it's a big puff pancake. we make it a lot during the winter. you will need a 9- inch pie pan/dish for it.

2 1/2 tbs unsalted butter

1 1/4 C milk

3/4 C flour

3 eggs

1/3 C sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

preheat oven to 400. spray daih with pam or whatever. palce butter in dish and melt in oven. in a blender combine milk, flour, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla.....process until smooth. remove pan from oven and up temp to 425. pour batter into dish. bake 20 min. reduce temp to 325 and keep baking for 8-10 min more. invert with a cutting board or platter.

i often make some carmelized apples for this:

2-3 apples (peeled, seeded, cut into wedges)

2 oz butter

2 oz brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla ext.

melt butter. add br. sugar. stir/cook until thick and bubbly. add cin, nutmeg, vanilla. should incorporate quickly. add apples... cook about 5-7 min. basically you want to make sure the mixture remains syrupy and thick. if it is thin after 5-7 min, with a slotted spoon remove apple wedges and set aside to cool (in refridgerator). keep cooking the mixture until it is thick... remove from heat. add it to the apples....

I'm not sure of the point of pancake mix... the ingredients aren't that exotic to begin with. Flour, eggs, milk...

But, then again, I don't really get the point of microwave popcorn when anyone with a covered pot and a stove can make better popcorn very easily for like 10 cents in 5 minutes.

I use pancake mix because I don't have a "from scratch" recipe.

Now I do.

Anyway, I made some last week with strawberries - sliced 'em up and stirred them in. This week I went lazy and mixed the batter in a blender and just tossed a couple bananas in as well. Turned out OK.

Put some type of chicken lard into it, the tasteless kind.

In Los Angeles, all I heard for years was how the 'best waffles you'll ever have' are located there. Well, I finally went (after 10 years of hearing about this) and it took me exactly one bite to realize that was the best waffle I ever had tasted. How good can a waffle taste? Motherlipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophy!!!ckin excellent, if you get em at Roscoe's.

never tried the lard thing myself but that wass the ingredient that put it over the top. I'd imagine it works fine for pancakes as well.

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure of the point of pancake mix... the ingredients aren't that exotic to begin with. Flour, eggs, milk...

As BJ rightfully noted, "just-add-water" pancake mix is a bachelor's best friend. Even in the unlikely event that a bachelor does have flour in his cabinent and his fridge does contain eggs and milk, you do NOT want to trust that they are still consumable.

One thing that BJ forgot to note though is that the bachelor should make the entire box of pancakes at one time--freezing the extras in ziplock bags so that they can be quickly microwaved whenever a pancake is wanted.

I like Buckwheat Pancakes. I t is very hard to find the mix for them now. I would think in todays healthy world , they would be popular. They were easy to come by when i was a kid. Anyone have them before?

Edited by NSab

cd.... i'm going to give you something a little different. it's a big puff pancake. we make it a lot during the winter. you will need a 9- inch pie pan/dish for it.

2 1/2 tbs unsalted butter

1 1/4 C milk

3/4 C flour

3 eggs

1/3 C sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

preheat oven to 400. spray daih with pam or whatever. palce butter in dish and melt in oven. in a blender combine milk, flour, eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla.....process until smooth. remove pan from oven and up temp to 425. pour batter into dish. bake 20 min. reduce temp to 325 and keep baking for 8-10 min more. invert with a cutting board or platter.

i often make some carmelized apples for this:

2-3 apples (peeled, seeded, cut into wedges)

2 oz butter

2 oz brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla ext.

melt butter. add br. sugar. stir/cook until thick and bubbly. add cin, nutmeg, vanilla. should incorporate quickly. add apples... cook about 5-7 min. basically you want to make sure the mixture remains syrupy and thick. if it is thin after 5-7 min, with a slotted spoon remove apple wedges and set aside to cool (in refridgerator). keep cooking the mixture until it is thick... remove from heat. add it to the apples....

My mother taught me somthing VERY similar. Without the apples... Simple and wonderful with just some fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar.

My mom-Momma PD always used the BisQuick mix, and they were always fabulous, then again she taught me all I know about cooking and is regarded around all my circles of family and friends as the best cook they know, so try the BisQuick mix CD.

Same here. BisQuik at my house has fed THOUSANDS of hungry children pancakes. Sometimes when my four were young and had friends sleep over I'd wake up and go through a couple of the big boxes, I was making so many. I wondered if there was a sign on the road inviting more children in for breakfast.

My secret was to add more milk to the batter to thin it down and make the pancakes thin enough that they could be rolled like a crepe. For some reason this was what put them over the top. Have all the toppings available and, voila, a veritable feast!

I like Buckwheat Pancakes. I t is very hard to find the mix for them now. I would think in todays healthy world , they would be popular. They were easy to come by when i was a kid. Anyone have them before?

This brought back the memories. When I still had my beehives (at one time had 30) I planted an acre of buckwheat for them to make honey. Well, by the end of the season I had a chitload of buckwheat to mill into flour and it was...different. But for pancakes it was the bomb! I suppose they would have been "healthy" for me if I didn't smother them with butter and maple syrup and stack bacon between them. :D

This brought back the memories. When I still had my beehives (at one time had 30) I planted an acre of buckwheat for them to make honey. Well, by the end of the season I had a chitload of buckwheat to mill into flour and it was...different. But for pancakes it was the bomb! I suppose they would have been "healthy" for me if I didn't smother them with butter and maple syrup and stack bacon between them. :D

Good stuff though :D

• 2 years later...