[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

? about Limewire

Mark5

my daughter uses Limewire so we can D/L songs. What is the difference from Napster and the others?

This is my 1st experience with any of these sites but I did a read a few articles on the peer 2 peer sites and all the hoopla involved with them. I like the idea behind them as far as d/l songs you like instead of buying a CD with only 2 good songs and 8 worthless songs (David Gilmours' On an Island comes to mind). What are your PROs and CONs about these sites?

Just made a CD with alot of Bachman Turner Overdrive songs with a few Kid Rock and Alice in Chains songs on it -- Snuff the Rooster is just REALLY good IMO.

my daughter uses Limewire so we can D/L songs. What is the difference from Napster and the others?

This is my 1st experience with any of these sites but I did a read a few articles on the peer 2 peer sites and all the hoopla involved with them. I like the idea behind them as far as d/l songs you like instead of buying a CD with only 2 good songs and 8 worthless songs (David Gilmours' On an Island comes to mind).  What are your PROs and CONs about these sites?

Just made a CD with alot of Bachman Turner Overdrive songs with a few Kid Rock and Alice in Chains songs on it -- Snuff the Rooster is just REALLY good IMO.

1490534[/snapback]

Don't know anything about Limewire so the obvious question is:

Are you downloading copyrighted material without paying for it?

My 18 year old son has been using Limewire for about 6 months. He hasn't had any troubles. Our firewall and anti-virus protection so far has been sufficient to keep out any intrusions. And any nonsense concerning wanting additional information from Limewire, or any of it's subsidiaries, get's a quick click on the "no" button.

my computer guru, who manages my home and business system emphatically told me to stay away from limewire because of the likelihood of picking up viruses.

1490577[/snapback]

Not true, I've used Limewire for years and have never had any problems. However, I've got norton and a solid spyware blocker running at all times.

Edited by Menudo

my computer guru, who manages my home and business system emphatically told me to stay away from limewire because of the likelihood of picking up viruses.

1490577[/snapback]

Well, this is partially true. You should always scan each file you download from said program BEFORE you open or run it. (As in right click on the file...scan for viruses)And that's only good if you have a good anti-virus program with updated virus definitions. I've come across a few files that were infected, but caught them before they caught me. :D

Edited by Hitman

Limewire is similar to the original Napster and Morpheus. There's plenty of stuff that you don't want on your computer or your daughter seeing. A lot of it isn't viruses. Download Napster or iTunes if you want music. $.99 per song is a good deal. If you're really cheap, you can download for $.89 per song at Walmart.com. Of course, there's also Russian MP3 sites that will let you download for pennies per song... just don't give them your credit card. Use a Visa gift card... or so I hear. :D

never, and I mean NEVER use freeware like lime wire, bear share or any of the others. Even if you have a software based firewall and virus scan, it is so easy to install viruses, keyloggers and all sorts of nasty bugs into your system.

I spent the better part of the winter of 2005 fixing all of my neighbor's computers because all of their children got together and started using lime wire. Two of them were beyond repair and I had to wipe them.

all of their children got together and started using lime wire. 

1490853[/snapback]

It's all in the user. With a large majority of adults being complete idiots when it comes to PCs, and teenagers that know just enough to really screw up a PC...but of course they think they know what they're doing. :D It is risky using those type of programs (again, depending on the user), but I wouldn't go as far as suggesting to NEVER ever using it to everyone. Some of the P2P software comes pre-loaded with adware/spyware. There are some that do not. The new thing now seems to be bit torrent. Haven't really gotten into that much myself to know the deal there. :D

Other than opening up yourself to a lawsuit for downloading and sharing copyrighted materials and opening up yourself to numerous spyware, viruses and other bad guys, you should be good. :D

When I first got high speed internet access years ago, I downloaded Bear Share and Limewire. I mean, how else was I supposed to get the entire Pamela Lee video? After downloading a few songs to make a Christmas cd I thought, wow, this is awesome. Then I started reading about the whole downloading controversy with the RIAA. When the RIAA started to win settlements with these p2p companies and with the file sharers themselves, I stopped. Bottom line, whether you agree with it or not, is that it is illegal to download copyrighted material without paying for it.

never, and I mean NEVER use freeware like lime wire, bear share or any of the others.  Even if you have a software based firewall and virus scan, it is so easy to install viruses, keyloggers and all sorts of nasty bugs into your system.

I spent the better part of the winter of 2005 fixing all of my neighbor's computers because all of their children got together and started using lime wire.  Two of them were beyond repair and I had to wipe them.

1490853[/snapback]

All the above is correct.