[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hopkins vs. Tarver picks.

Spion

I am going to pick Hopkins to win the title from Tarver. All the factors are against him from being 41 years old to having to add weight being the smaller guy.

Despite these challenges Tarver could be a little distracted from his movie career in Sly Stallone's Rocky 6. Tarver gained weight to play heavyweight Mason Dixon and has been working to get that weight off. I know Tarver isn't taking Hopkins lightly, but a similar thing happened to Lennox Lewis after his bit in Oceans 11 when he fought Hasim Rahman and was kayoed.

Also Hopkins I feel was jobbed in his first fight with Jermaine Taylor. Having his middleweight title taken from him in such a fashion makes this challenge all the more important to Bernard.

I think Aggressive fighters give Tarver trouble. The new Roy Jones that throws 40 punches a fight was perfect for Traver to pick apart and hurt with Power shots. I think Hopkins has to really lose that give away the first 5 rounds major slow start mode that he was succesful with in the past. It hurt him vs Taylor and would hurt him here. Should be an entertaining fight.

As much as I dislike Tarver, I think his size will give BHOP problems. Remember, Hopkins is moving up from Middleweight (160) to Light Heavy (175) in this fight. I think it will be a very close fight, and possibly a split decision IMO. I don't see a KO by either guy. I'd love to say BHOP...but I think Tarver wins by being a little more active, and using his natural size advantage. Hopkins will give him fits though, and I think it will be one of those fights that people argue over who really won.

Edited by Hitman

tarver tires very easily late in fights....bernard picks it up...bernard doesnt have to drop any weight for this fight...tarver does

i dunno...either way...ill be buying cotto/malignaggi for 40 bucks instead of paying 50 for x/tarver...which i can see for free the next week on hbo before taylor/winky

:D Glad to see someone who even knew who Cotto/Malinaggi were. I hope Hopkins wins, and I think Cotto will be too strong for Paulie. Paulie is a superb boxer, but he hits like a girl. Cotto is robotic, much like Trinidad, but his punching power is an equalizer as well.

I'm not sure about the Winky/Taylor fight. Tough to say who wins there. I'll pick Winky by UD. Taylor is still rough around the edges, (but does have E. Steward training him now) and Winky is a bigger guy than Hopkins was. I think Winky wins a boring fight by decision. :D

:D Glad to see someone who even knew who Cotto/Malinaggi were. I hope Hopkins wins, and I think Cotto will be too strong for Paulie. Paulie is a superb boxer, but he hits like a girl. Cotto is robotic, much like Trinidad, but his punching power is an equalizer as well.

I'm not sure about the Winky/Taylor fight. Tough to say who wins there. I'll pick Winky by UD. Taylor is still rough around the edges, (but does have E. Steward training him now) and Winky is a bigger guy than Hopkins was. I think Winky wins a boring fight by decision. :D

hitman, did you see this pic of cotto and paulie?

http://www.fightnews.com/cot_mal.jpg

He also got a good laugh when he pulled out a bottle of water and said "Mmmmm. This tastes good. You want some Miguel?" alluding to Cotto not being able to drink water to make weight.

cotto looks like an aids patient with no t cells left

but like i said im buyin the cotto/paulie ppv...ill watch the x/tarver replay before winky/jermain( i like winky....i was at his last fight against sam soliman at mohegan sun)....plus the undercard is much more entertaining...and ill have fun watching my boy tommy zbikowski from notre dame

im throwing down on paulie and x saturday...theres big potential to make some good money....if paulie loses and x wins...ill cover my ass and still make a couple bucks....if they both lose(which i can see happening)...ill take a little hit....cotto is a good puncher...but paulie will frustrate him...box him from the outside...punch from different angles...and when they get in close and cotto tries to dig them hooks, paulie will tie him up..and frustrate him all night...this is a huge step up for paulie...but if hes a good of a boxer as i think he might be, and is good as he thinks he is...ill take him over the puncher....ive always thought cotto was overrated anyway....a guy like jose luis castillo would wipe the floor with cotto IMO

haha come to think of it...i was at paulies last fight too....against camarena at foxwoods....foxwoods is like 15 minutes from my house...mohegan sun is another 10 minutes or so....but yeah i follow the fight game pretty deeply....camarena never wanted to really fight....so paulie couldnt do too much....but his hand is ok right now....lets hope he doesnt hurt it again, early in the fight

haha come to think of it...i was at paulies last fight too....against camarena at foxwoods....foxwoods is like 15 minutes from my house...mohegan sun is another 10 minutes or so....but yeah i follow the fight game pretty deeply....camarena never wanted to really fight....so paulie couldnt do too much....but his hand is ok right now....lets hope he doesnt hurt it again, early in the fight

:D Dropping fight game knowledge.

Now, next topic....PBF vs. De la Hoya do you think it's gonna go down, and who wins if so? :D

If it's at 147, I like PBF alot...not sure Oscar can make that weight...but @ 154, gotta think Oscar has a better chance. I think Floyd is just too fast for Oscar, sort of like Mosley. Oscar has great hand speed, but not PBF hand speed. Floyd's defense will be comparable to when Oscar fought Sweet Pea....hard to hit, and frustrating. Just a bad matchup, but I do think he could win...and by no means will PBF dominate him IMO. Floyd Sr. claims he "created the style" and can "break the style" and "I taught him everything he knows...but not everything I know." Not so sure it's that easy...

Edited by Hitman

:D Dropping fight game knowledge.

Now, next topic....PBF vs. De la Hoya do you think it's gonna go down, and who wins if so? :D

If it's at 147, I like PBF alot...not sure Oscar can make that weight...but @ 154, gotta think Oscar has a better chance. I think Floyd is just too fast for Oscar, sort of like Mosley. Oscar has great hand speed, but not PBF hand speed. Floyd's defense will be comparable to when Oscar fought Sweet Pea....hard to hit, and frustrating. Just a bad matchup, but I do think he could win...and by no means will PBF dominate him IMO. Floyd Sr. claims he "created the style" and can "break the style" and "I taught him everything he knows...but not everything I know." Not so sure it's that easy...

floyd sr is a crackhead...he knows this fight is going to happen and itll be floyds biggest payday..and floyd sr figures he might as well get rich off it too...thats why hes demanding oscar pay him 2 mil to train him for this fight....deep down floyd sr knows oscar cant beat his son....floyd walks around at like 140-147....so putting on a little is nothing to him...and he flaunts it...ive seen him in training camp flaunting it...eating potato chips while doing crunches and drinking cans of coke while workin the speedbag just cause he knew cameras were on....floyd is just too good....even zab got a couple good shots on floyd and had him against the ropes...floyd smiled....covered up...got outta there and proceeded to dominate...

floyd sr is a crackhead...he knows this fight is going to happen and itll be floyds biggest payday..and floyd sr figures he might as well get rich off it too...thats why hes demanding oscar pay him 2 mil to train him for this fight....deep down floyd sr knows oscar cant beat his son....floyd walks around at like 140-147....so putting on a little is nothing to him...and he flaunts it...ive seen him in training camp flaunting it...eating potato chips while doing crunches and drinking cans of coke while workin the speedbag just cause he knew cameras were on....floyd is just too good....even zab got a couple good shots on floyd and had him against the ropes...floyd smiled....covered up...got outta there and proceeded to dominate...

Yeah, I saw that about Floyd Sr. wanting $2 mil for the fight. I think he knows Floyd Jr. would win also. I remember Floyd taunting Gatti about weight also...some funny chit..."going to eat the buffett" while Gatti is just absolutely punishing himself those last few hours to make weight. Floyd is bad azz, and the best P4P no doubt. I don't know what it will take for him to drop one...maybe age eventually...sort of like Roy Jones Jr. But Floyd is just a much more complete fighter than Roy ever was. Mainly his defensive skills are on a totally different level than anyone in a LONG time, including RJ. I just don't see that guy out there to take him. And did you see what Collazo did to Hatton? Exposed him IMO. :D And Hatton has been so hyped to challenge Floyd. :D Probably not the performance HBO was expecting after signing their newest prize. :D

Edited by Hitman

1st thing....Hopkins...this will not be his last fight....

I don't know any great fighters that actually retire successfully the 1st time they've retired unless they had to retire or have had some sort of damage done...

:D I think Hopkins will have his trump card late and make Tarver wear down....

1st thing....Hopkins...this will not be his last fight....

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. Especially if he comes up short. He wasn't supposed to fight past age 40...but took the re-match with Taylor because he felt he got robbed in the first fight.

Good article here.

Edited by Hitman

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. Especially if he comes up short. He wasn't supposed to fight past age 40...but took the re-match with Taylor because he felt he got robbed in the first fight.

I felt he got robbed the 1st fight...but the 2nd he lost by decision...and I agree with that..

Both have had to put on weight, so that won't make a difference. Tarver is a stronger puncher and could take the early rounds if he comes out fast. Hopkins is older, but a more intelligent fighter. He hasn't looked good since 2001, but could wear down Tarver quickly if he can counter, put punches together and stay away from the jabs. The longer the fight goes, the more advantage I would give to Hopkins. In the end I'll take Mason Dixon by decision.

As far as Oscar and Mayweather, Floyd Sr. definitely knows that his son will kill De La Hoya. It's the fight everyone wants, but who knows if we'll get it.

Yeah, I saw that about Floyd Sr. wanting $2 mil for the fight. I think he knows Floyd Jr. would win also. I remember Floyd taunting Gatti about weight also...some funny chit..."going to eat the buffett" while Gatti is just absolutely punishing himself those last few hours to make weight. Floyd is bad azz, and the best P4P no doubt. I don't know what it will take for him to drop one...maybe age eventually...sort of like Roy Jones Jr. But Floyd is just a much more complete fighter than Roy ever was. Mainly his defensive skills are on a totally different level than anyone in a LONG time, including RJ. I just don't see that guy out there to take him. And did you see what Collazo did to Hatton? Exposed him IMO. :D And Hatton has been so hyped to challenge Floyd. :D Probably not the performance HBO was expecting after signing their newest prize. :D

the best thing about floyd is hes a student of boxing...roy relied alot on his reflexes...floyd is so technically sound...yer right....i think it could be age...the thing if he gets this oscar fight...itll really set him up financially....and i think floyd is doing real well there...he might get out of the game before age can catch him...i think a fight with winky would be tough for floyd too...but hes is the man no doubt

Not looking to hijack but since we are bouncing around a little bit what happened to Vernon Forrest ? He no doubt had Shane Mosleys number and showed great skill beating him then lost to Mayorga twice and as far as I can tell dissapeared..Do you guys beleive in the old saying style makes fights ?

Not looking to hijack but since we are bouncing around a little bit what happened to Vernon Forrest ? He no doubt had Shane Mosleys number and showed great skill beating him then lost to Mayorga twice and as far as I can tell dissapeared..Do you guys beleive in the old saying style makes fights ?

forrest is fighting in august i think...on hbo...against ike quartey

i dunno if i always buy into the styles makes fights thing...but i am tonight...that why im getting cotto/malignaggi

forrest is fighting in august i think...on hbo...against ike quartey

i dunno if i always buy into the styles makes fights thing...but i am tonight...that why im getting cotto/malignaggi

Quartey / De La Hoya was awesome.

Btw, it looks like Hopkins is destroying Tarver so far up until the 6th round, according to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=2478658

Thanks for this. I was looking for something like it to follow since I got home late :D

wow..Hopkins 118-109 on 3 cards..according to the espn link he dominated Tarver..To those who saw the fight was that the case?