[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In ten minutes my boss gets out of a meeting

cliaz

So you all have 10 minutes to calm me down before I get fired. I've been put on a tech refresh task which means I have to come in a couple of weekends and pre-cable up 350 server/firewalls/VPNrouters/Robotic libraries. I asked why our engineering group isn't over here helping us during the week so we don't have to work weekends and my boss told me because they are always super busy.

And that is what we are always told. Engineering can't help because they are so busy, they work late, they get here early, they work weekends. And as a ops guy I do not have access to their building. So I went to security and asked to have access to their building (which I should have anyways since I'm red badged.) and it's given to me. nothing wrong or illegal with that. I go over there and they are having a luau. I walk into their office space and some of them are taking freaking naps.

So I asked the one dude Jon round about question about working late and on the weekends and he tells me "That's what we tell you management because there is no way we're doing shiiiit work." Like they are above that crap! We've been busting our humps for months doing their grunt work for them because we thought they needed the help and those son-of-a-b1tches are wearing straw hats and taking naps. I've missed BBQs and family gatherings because of this. Right before my boss went into this quick meeting I told him I'm not doing it and he told me yes I am and if I didn't like it I can find somewhere else to work because he is sick of people complaining to him. I hardly ever complain to him.

This is the straw that broke the midgets back. I really think I'm going to pre-pay 2 months of cobra and just do free lance work, I can't take the backwards BS here anymore

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you all have 10 minutes to calm me down before I get fired. I've been put on a tech refresh task which means I have to come in a couple of weekends and pre-cable up 350 server/firewalls/VPNrouters/Robotic libraries. I asked why our engineering group isn't over here helping us during the week so we don't have to work weekends and my boss told me because they are always super busy.

And that is what we are always told. Engineering can't help because they are so busy, they work late, they get here early, they work weekends. And as a ops guy I do not have access to their building. So I went to security and asked to have access to their building (which I should have anyways since I'm red badged.) and it's given to me. nothing wrong or illegal with that. I go over there and they are having a luau. I walk into their office space and some of them are taking freaking naps.

So I asked the one dude Jon round about question about working late and on the weekends and he tells me "That's what we tell you management because there is no way we're doing shiiiit work." Like they are above that crap! We've been busting our humps for months doing their grunt work for them because we thought they needed the help and those son-of-a-b1tches are wearing straw hats and taking naps. I've missed BBQs and family gatherings because of this. Right before my boss went into this quick meeting I told him I'm not doing it and he told me yes I am and if I didn't like it I can find somewhere else to work because he is sick of people complaining to him. I hardly ever complain to him.

This is the straw that broke the midgets back. I really think I'm going to pre-pay 2 months of cobra and just do free lance work, I can't take the backwards BS here anymore

Obviously, sounds like a bunch of BS...just don't do anything you'll regret, my man.

Check with Blitz. He is the one all concerned about fair and $hit. :D

The best thing I can do is tell you to look at your checking and savings account balances and stretch that out for the rest of your life. That's one way to avoid the death tax for sure.

Never quit a job unless you already have another one lined up.

Would it be wrong to mention to your boss what you saw over there? I think not - he should be pulling for his people, not sucking up to whomever to prove his guys can work the hardest. If its simple like pulling cable, why can't you get some cheap temp labor to help cut down on the total hours required? Does your boss have a brain?

I'd say you're right about this. Good luck...

Obviously, sounds like a bunch of BS...just don't do anything you'll regret, my man.

Yeah, having a job is still better than not having one. You mentioned freelance work, why not stockpile some cash away, build some clientele first then tell your boss to f'off?

If your company has an open door policy, use it. Go above your "boss" to his boss and have a well documented conversation with him/her about the situation. Stay unemotional and hold your ground - people are any companies primary resource. Even if your boss doesn't see it, his/hers will. If your "boss" is the ultimate boss, it gets a little trickier, you have to convince him/her that he/she is the one who "found out" engineering is slacking or accusing him/her of trying to give them fasto jobs.

Or just refer back to your post this morning about dropping the Cosby family off at the pool and have yourself a laugh.

Don't quit until you have your finances in order and/or talk to the wifey. The credit card bill can't get paid off without the income.

I'll be working weekends too for a lot of the summer...

Yeah, having a job is still better than not having one. You mentioned freelance work, why not stockpile some cash away, build some clientele first then tell your boss to f'off?

He has a big credit-card bill with his wife still at home with the young children. So it is walking eggshells for the time being.

If your company has an open door policy, use it. Go above your "boss" to his boss and have a well documented conversation with him/her about the situation. Stay unemotional and hold your ground - people are any companies primary resource. Even if your boss doesn't see it, his/hers will. If your "boss" is the ultimate boss, it gets a little trickier, you have to convince him/her that he/she is the one who "found out" engineering is slacking or accusing him/her of trying to give them fasto jobs.

Or just refer back to your post this morning about dropping the Cosby family off at the pool and have yourself a laugh.

Get proof first. Install webcams over there when you are working on the weekends and take live video feed. Take pictures. Wear a voice recorder when you talk to the guys.

Heck, screw all that. Ask for a freaking transfer.

Would it be wrong to mention to your boss what you saw over there? I think not - he should be pulling for his people, not sucking up to whomever to prove his guys can work the hardest. If its simple like pulling cable, why can't you get some cheap temp labor to help cut down on the total hours required? Does your boss have a brain?

I'd say you're right about this. Good luck...

Yeah, he should mention something but his boss may not do anything. My wife had an idiot for a boss and for the longest time another senior account manager would take 2.5 hour lunches and then leave early, usually leaving the work for my wife to do. She finally mentioned it to her boss but nothing ever came out of it. She continued to travel and then put in 15 hour days. That was 4 months ago. My wife now has a new job at a great company with a 42% pay increase.

Don't do anything drastic, confront your boss and if nothing happens then look for another job.

thanks all.

But after 7 years of the BS political game here I've finally had it.

Lied to about raises

Lied to about bonuses

Lied to about a million other things

Lost 11k in salary

The wife goes back to work in August and we have plenty of cash to take care of bills until then plus my free lance work. I'm out of here. I've had it.

thanks all.

Lied to about raises

Lied to about bonuses

Lost 11k in salary

The wife goes back to work in August and we have plenty of cash to take care of bills until then plus my free lance work. I'm out of here. I've had it.

Good luck man, it sounds like they've really taken advantage of you over the years. :D

thanks all.

Lied to about raises

Lied to about bonuses

Lost 11k in salary

Ahhh Christ, don't tell me that means you're going to be spending more time at the huddle. :D

I disagree. I've been out of work since last August and it's GLORIOUS

I'm assuming by choice here? It's hard to see someone find an excuse for being out of work right now with a 4.6% unemployment rate.

Yeah...burgers and fries, paying rent, and scrounging for beer money sounds like the life. :D

Yeah, you're right. Sleeping in till noon every day and getting high as soon as I wake up sucks :D

I had an interview yesterday though. My year long vacation is about to end. :D