[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you regularly call people republican, democrat, conservative, or liberal

proninja

But it was for the good of the country...

It wasn't for the good of the country, it was for the good of the factory owners in the north, who depended on the south to provide raw materials and to buy their over priced goods. Once the south seceeded there were no more tarrifs, and the northern factories couldn't compete with the price of imported goods without the tariffs.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to add that I am too young to know what I'm talking about.

It's not necessarily about age - it's about experience.

You are young, you don't have a real job (career) yet, yuou probably don't pay taxes, and, most importantly, you've closed your mind to everything that conflicts with your own ideas and opinions.

So, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. That's readily apparent from your posts.

You are young, you don't have a real job (career) yet, yuou probably don't pay taxes, and, most importantly, you've closed your mind to everything that conflicts with your own ideas and opinions.

So, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.

I actually agree with you in principal, that is why we should not let anyone who doesn't pay taxes (And I actually mean pay, not pay some and get it all back in deductions) vote. We should have an IQ test as well so that we know that the voters of American are intelligent enought to for opinions based on logic.

You forgot to add that I am too young to know what I'm talking about.

You are not too young to know, you are too young to understand. I asked you in the other thread - do you get the difference between knowledge and understanding?

Edited by proninja

I actually agree with you in principal, that is why we should not let anyone who doesn't pay taxes (And I actually mean pay, not pay some and get it all back in deductions) vote. We should have an IQ test as well so that we know that the voters of American are intelligent enought to for opinions based on logic.

the voting system is all wrong...it should be weighted.

we should get as many votes as tax dollars we pay!!!

It's not necessarily about age - it's about experience.

So, yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. That's readily apparent from your posts.

I pay taxes. Every year up til last year I've gotten full refunds, but not anymore. :D

I have a real job but am not going to make a career out of software testing. I'm still going after my dream of becoming a lawyer. A rich lawyer.

Apparently I am not the only person to close my mind to everything that conflicts with my own ideas and opinions on these boards. You are guilty too.

So everyone should disregard anything I say from now on because I don't have as much experience and therefore I don't matter.

Edited by thecerwin

(And I actually mean pay, not pay some and get it all back in deductions)

You know why the government provides tax deductions, don't you? Because it's in their best interest that we take responsibility for what they oftentimes have to pay for.

We put money into our IRA's and don't rely on them for retirement? We get a deduction, as well as ensuring a great revenue stream for the government in the future once we start withdrawing and paying income tax on every dollar we've earned through a LIFO, meaning we pull out gains first system.

We own a home? Great. Home ownership stimulates the economy as well as helps people be successful so they don't have to be supported by the government.

We give to charity? Well, guess what - charity work augments a lot of government social work. If there were no charity, the government's responsibility would be greater.

We spend money on business expenses? Do I have to tell you why that's good? It creates a taxable event on the sale, as well as income for the selling company they can tax, as well as stimulates your business to create yet more tax revenue.

They don't give deductions away so rich people don't have to pay taxes. They give deductions because it is in their best interest. They're giving us an incentive to take actions that they want us to take. The person who makes a lot of money and gets a lot of tax breaks gets those tax contributes just as much to the greater good as the person who gets no tax breaks. Now shoot man, go find yourself some tax breaks so you don't have to complain about the people who take advantage of the system like they want us to.

You know why the government provides tax deductions, don't you? Because it's in their best interest that we take responsibility for what they oftentimes have to pay for.

We put money into our IRA's and don't rely on them for retirement? We get a deduction, as well as ensuring a great revenue stream for the government in the future once we start withdrawing and paying income tax on every dollar we've earned through a LIFO, meaning we pull out gains first system.

We own a home? Great. Home ownership stimulates the economy as well as helps people be successful so they don't have to be supported by the government.

We give to charity? Well, guess what - charity work augments a lot of government social work. If there were no charity, the government's responsibility would be greater.

We spend money on business expenses? Do I have to tell you why that's good? It creates a taxable event on the sale, as well as income for the selling company they can tax, as well as stimulates your business to create yet more tax revenue.

They don't give deductions away so rich people don't have to pay taxes. They give deductions because it is in their best interest. They're giving us an incentive to take actions that they want us to take. The person who makes a lot of money and gets a lot of tax breaks gets those tax contributes just as much to the greater good as the person who gets no tax breaks. Now shoot man, go find yourself some tax breaks so you don't have to complain about the people who take advantage of the system like they want us to.

I take advantage of every tax break that my CPA who spends about 8 weeks a year with me an my company knows of. However, anyone who is getting all of their taxes refunded isn't really in a position to stimulate the economy, unless they are out and out cheating on their taxes. So, what is wrong with saying, if at the end of the year if you don't pay taxes you don't get to vote?

Edit to add: Besides, this was Squeegie's idea, I'm just going along with it in an attempt to be bipartisan.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I take advantage of every tax break that my CPA who spends about 8 weeks a year with me an my company knows of. However, anyone who is getting all of their taxes refunded isn't really in a position to stimulate the economy, unless they are out and out cheating on their taxes. So, what is wrong with saying, if at the end of the year if you don't pay taxes you don't get to vote?

Edit to add: Besides, this was Squeegie's idea, I'm just going along with it in an attempt to be bipartisan.

Are you saying that home purchases, charitable giving, business expenses, and retirement savings don't benefit the government in a very real financial way?

Edited by proninja

Are you saying that home purchases, charitable giving, business expenses, and retirement savings don't benefit the government in a very real financial way?

That is not what I'm saying at all. I agree with you that all of those things are benifitial. What I'm saying is that if you after you deduct all of those things, if you are left paying nothing then you are not really contributing all that much to society. I know of very few if any people that are able to claim those type of deductions that don't still end up paying taxes.

That is not what I'm saying at all. I agree with you that all of those things are benifitial. What I'm saying is that if you after you deduct all of those things, if you are left paying nothing then you are not really contributing all that much to society. I know of very few if any people that are able to claim those type of deductions that don't still end up paying taxes.

So what you're saying is that the only way to contribute to soceity is by the actual paying of taxes? So if you can whittle the number down to $5k in a year, you're cool, but if you make it all go away that's bad?

How can you say in the first sentence that all of those tax deductible items are beneficial, and then in the next sentence saying that if you do all those things and make your income go away you're not contributing to society? That makes no sense.

How can you say in the first sentence that all of those tax deductible items are beneficial, and then in the next sentence saying that if you do all those things and make your income go away you're not contributing to society? That makes no sense.

I'm saying that 95% of those that own their home, give to charities (enough for a meaningful deduction), contribute to IRA's, and have the type of job that they can write off expenses, make enough to where they will still be paying even after the deductions.

Oh, just what society needs most! :D How noble.

I am not trying to become what society needs. I am not trying to be noble either.

Yo Mama is a lawyer, and actually one of the few good kind if I recall. Even if his politics tend to be f'd up :D

I was just wondering ...

Is there such thing as a Conservative Liberal ?

or

a Liberal Conservative ?

:D

Yup. A (fiscally) conservative (socially) liberal type might, for example, believe in the concept of welfare, but also believe that no one should be eligible for such welfare for more than 2 years duing any 5 year period. (I mean, if you can't find a job after 2 full years, chances are you're not trying or its officially time to lower your standards).

Food stamps - good for keeping kids from starving. Bad, because they are easily transferable (i.e. sold for booze money) and therefore rife with abuse.

Illegal aliens - bad and should be prevented. However, we acknowledge that the 12mm that are here are probably here to stay, so we might as well figure out a way to legitimize them and get them paying taxes and integrated into society.

Social Security - good for helping to keep the elderly poor from having to live under bridges. But stupid and pointless to pay it to wealthy old people who don't need it, because it's hasting the social security crisis that is coming sooner or later.

Medicinal Mary Jane - horray! Now, lets tax the crap out of it.

Edited by yo mama

Yo Mama is a lawyer, and actually one of the few good kind if I recall. Even if his politics tend to be f'd up :D

:D Oh yeah. I knew that he was a lawyer... it slipped my mind. I get it now.

I'm saying that 95% of those that own their home, give to charities (enough for a meaningful deduction), contribute to IRA's, and have the type of job that they can write off expenses, make enough to where they will still be paying even after the deductions.

Ok, but the other 5% shouldn't be allowed to vote?

What if someone owns his own home, a couple rental properties, and spent a bunch of cash from the sale of another property that he lived in for two years on remodeling some of the other properties? Let's say $40k in mortgage interest, $20k on remodeling the home, and $10k in business expenses because he's self employed. He made $70k that year from his occupation.

This man, who's doing a heck of a lot more for the economy than a burger king employee making $20k a year and paying taxes, shouldn't be allowed to vote? Do you actualy believe this?

Edited by proninja

Ok, but the other 5% shouldn't be allowed to vote?

No, maybe I should revise what I said. If the deductions you made above (by them selves, not with other deductions that don't stimulate the economy) make it to where you end up not paying any taxes, then let them vote. We'd have to look at the deductions though.