[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas or Charcoal

broncosn05

PD, you are so right. I have relinquished to the Weber Genesis out of pure laziness. It is much more conveneint and a little soaked chips can add some flavor. I know its lame, but the fam sure seems to enjoy. I'm pretty good with gas, so I can only imagine the magic I could make with charc. Maybe I'll see the light soon.

By the way, love me some panthers. How do you think Meyshawn will fit in.

It was CD's post, and just go to the main forum and read the NFC East thread, as I've broken it down in there for all to see.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. You all know my take on this, though I must agree with Bier that you can make great food with gas/propane. However:

Grilling and smoking food is so much more than the propellant you use. It is about the sensory experience, the primeval responsibility to "make fire". And the real question is, do you want to "make fire" like a man, or "make fire" like a woman. Because in my world, it's WAY cooler to strike a match and watch the charcoal/hardwood flame up, then slowly die down to produce the optimum cooking temperature. When the caveman discovered fire, did he light his farts and cook with methane gas? NOOOOOOOO..........

He used wood. And he was the creator of delicious food for his family.

And for those of you who are products of the "instant satisfaction" generation and cannot wait a measly 20 minutes to light your fire, well....all I can say is it's time to slow down your lives, light the fire, play with the kids in the yard or drink a cold beer while the fire gets ready. Because ultimately, as men, we have been stripped of most of our manly responsibilities. If we don't have to kill our food, at least we can still "make fire" and fulfill our destinies as men.

:D

cd,

i've read this somewhere....not sure where...but somewhere.

baiscally, some things i agree with, some things i don't.

-i like the flavors from woods (smoking and grilling).... and for that, charcoal does a better job holding that. if you have time, go ahead and use charcoal.

-for standard grilling, there is not a tremendous difference between gas and charcoal. as for the caveman stuff..... :D taste is relative.... i imagine cooked was better than raw- and that was about it for options. cooking has evolved. we now have many more options to opitimize flavor.... part of the evolution is convenience. charcoal is not the best way to get "optimum cooking temp-" it's probably worse in that regard because it is more difficult to regulate than a gas gril. with the time i spend in a kitchen, i honestly don't want to play around with charcoal. these days it's been hard to get 2 days off in a row, so some of that day is spent running errands...... sure i'd love to make my salary only doing 30 hrs a week, but that's not a reality for me yet. making fire doesn't make me feel manly...... but if that's what does it for some of you... all the best. but i do like hanging out drinking bier at bonfires on the beach.

-advantages and disadvantages to each. the broad statement of "all gass grills suck" by PD is shortsighted and resulted in a loss of credibility on a culinary level in my eyes. anyone familiar with food knows that there is more than one way to attain similar results.

to both of you guys.... i do hope we get a chance sometime to stand side by side and create some good food!

I actually just made that up when I was typing.

fair enough :D ........ when i have some time i'll try to find, and post what i saw....

iirc- laws of gravity (or physics) where founded by 2 different men independent of each other.

cd,

i've read this somewhere....not sure where...but somewhere.

baiscally, some things i agree with, some things i don't.

-i like the flavors from woods (smoking and grilling).... and for that, charcoal does a better job holding that. if you have time, go ahead and use charcoal.

-for standard grilling, there is not a tremendous difference between gas and charcoal. as for the caveman stuff..... :D taste is relative.... i imagine cooked was better than raw- and that was about it for options. cooking has evolved. we now have many more options to opitimize flavor.... part of the evolution is convenience. charcoal is not the best way to get "optimum cooking temp-" it's probably worse in that regard because it is more difficult to regulate than a gas gril. with the time i spend in a kitchen, i honestly don't want to play around with charcoal. these days it's been hard to get 2 days off in a row, so some of that day is spent running errands...... sure i'd love to make my salary only doing 30 hrs a week, but that's not a reality for me yet. making fire doesn't make me feel manly...... but if that's what does it for some of you... all the best. but i do like hanging out drinking bier at bonfires on the beach.

-advantages and disadvantages to each. the broad statement of "all gass grills suck" by PD is shortsighted and resulted in a loss of credibility on a culinary level in my eyes. anyone familiar with food knows that there is more than one way to attain similar results.

to both of you guys.... i do hope we get a chance sometime to stand side by side and create some good food!

The comment was not meant to step on toes, I have a true affection for charcoal, and my statement was to "broad", I'll give you that, but in no way made me a worse cook for saying it, so please take it with a grain of salt or to if you will, after all, I don't use the grill for everything I cook and I am the grandson of a chef-god rest his soul-Peace PD.

The comment was not meant to step on toes, I have a true affection for charcoal, and my statement was to "broad", I'll give you that, but in no way made me a worse cook for saying it, so please take it with a grain of salt or to if you will, after all, I don't use the grill for everything I cook and I am the grandson of a chef-god rest his soul-Peace PD.

pd- i've been around for a while and don't make a habbit of going off on people. your inference and statement that "the use of propane is amateurish" and that "all propane grills suck" are both ridiculous. honestly, when you put yourself in a black and white world you limit yourself (in whatever realm it might be).... i think you worsen your skills by the box you put yourself in.

i won't comment on this again unless invited to. truce.

pd- i've been around for a while and don't make a habbit of going off on people. your inference and statement that "the use of propane is amateurish" and that "all propane grills suck" are both ridiculous. honestly, when you put yourself in a black and white world you limit yourself (in whatever realm it might be).... i think you worsen your skills by the box you put yourself in.

i won't comment on this again unless invited to. truce.

Bier, you read way to much into the preference of a grill and one's opinion of them for my taste, and remember, one does not need to be a chef to be a damn good cook, but be assured-no hard feelings here-truce accepted :D

:D is that all?

i can't say i find the caveman argument all that persuasive in favor of charcoal. i doubt they had the kingsford briquets, or even untateve's yuppy lumpy coal or whatever. besides, take that argument a little further and next thing you know you're trying to tell me the best steak has to be from a buffalo you killed with a rock after chasing it around in your bare feet for 3 days. no thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

:D is that all?

i can't say i find the caveman argument all that persuasive in favor of charcoal. i doubt they had the kingsford briquets, or even untateve's yuppy lumpy coal or whatever. besides, take that argument a little further and next thing you know you're trying to tell me the best steak has to be from a buffalo you killed with a rock after chasing it around in your bare feet for 3 days. no thanks.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone. I simply feel that lump charcoal offers a better flavor to grilling than propane. I always had a gas grill until I got the Egg. My evidence is anecdotal but it is based on my taste buds. That is what is most important to me.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone. I simply feel that lump charcoal offers a better flavor to grilling than propane. I always had a gas grill until I got the Egg. My evidence is anecdotal but it is based on my taste buds. That is what is most important to me.

If you're talking hard wood (and I know you are) charcoal that adds flavor, then I would agree the taste is better, but ya can't use liquid starter! Kingsford adds no flavor other than the smoke created by fat dripping on the hot coals and the normal pint of napalm used to light it. The smokey flavor that a gass grill gives, is from the fat dripping on the bars/briquettes whatever. If you taste propane whilst cooking on a gas grill, I'd trash it, as there is something wrong, and one day they'll be scraping you off the side of the house! Ex-welders know a lot about GAS!!! Propane should completely burn if the grill is working properly. I've tried mesquite in an aluminum pan placed on the bars, but I found out I'm not a big mequite fan. I haven't tried any others, but I'm willing to try some suggs.

I've tried mesquite in an aluminum pan placed on the bars

Get some apple wood. Soak for a couple of hours. Take a sheet of aluminum foil and lay it out. Put 3 or 4 apple chunks on the sheet, then fold the foil up around it. Take the sides of the foil up first and then just crinkle the ends. You want the foil to resemble a long tube. Poke a couple of holes at either end. Place foil directly on your burners.

I would turn the heat as far down as possible if you really want to smoke something and put the food on the upper rack. Place a cookie sheet with water on the lower rack.

This will allow you to smoke meat on a propane or gas grill, and does a pretty good job. You may even want to make 2 "wood tubes" out of the foil for extra smoke.

I did this on my brothers grill when I was in Hawaii, and smoked some ribs for about 4 hours this way. Worked great.

Get some apple wood. Soak for a couple of hours. Take a sheet of aluminum foil and lay it out. Put 3 or 4 apple chunks on the sheet, then fold the foil up around it. Take the sides of the foil up first and then just crinkle the ends. You want the foil to resemble a long tube. Poke a couple of holes at either end. Place foil directly on your burners.

I would turn the heat as far down as possible if you really want to smoke something and put the food on the upper rack. Place a cookie sheet with water on the lower rack.

This will allow you to smoke meat on a propane or gas grill, and does a pretty good job. You may even want to make 2 "wood tubes" out of the foil for extra smoke.

I did this on my brothers grill when I was in Hawaii, and smoked some ribs for about 4 hours this way. Worked great.

I have tried the apple wood chips, soaked them for about an hour, put them in a foil tub, poked holes in them and it just takes for freaking ever for them to smoke. What am I doing wrong?

edit: Oh, and put them in my gas BBQ and close the lid...almost forgot that step.

Edited by devilwoman

I have tried the apple wood chips, soaked them for about an hour, put them in a foil tub, poked holes in them and it just takes for freaking ever for them to smoke. What am I doing wrong?

edit: Oh, and put them in my gas BBQ and close the lid...almost forgot that step.

Did you put them directly on the burner or on the rack?

You want to remove the rack and place it right on the fire source. (or the metal strip that goes down the middle)

Did you put them directly on the burner or on the rack?

You want to remove the rack and place it right on the fire source. (or the metal strip that goes down the middle)

I put the foil with the chips right on the grill grates where I cook the chicken...do you call that the burner or the rack??