[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Septic Tank Questions

spain

We moved into a new house last summer that has a septic tank rather being on city sewer system. I have never lived in a house that was on septic. What do we need to do to maintain this system? i have heard that you are supposed to pour some sort of bacteria laced chemicals down all of your drains once per year but I am not sure. Anybody with Septic tank experience?

We moved into a new house last summer that has a septic tank rather being on city sewer system. I have never lived in a house that was on septic. What do we need to do to maintain this system? i have heard that you are supposed to pour some sort of bacteria laced chemicals down all of your drains once per year but I am not sure. Anybody with Septic tank experience?

That's what I heard too, but I think it depends on the type of system you have - sand mound vs. traditional in-ground? :D

Hopefully one of our experts can clear this up! :D

By contrast, I don't think I've ever lived in a house without septic.

You can buy some bacteria/chemical laden stuff to flush down into your septic system once a year, but it's really not necessary. I wouldn't recommend super heavy use of bleach, as that will tend to kill off the 'good bacteria' but I wouldn't even worry about that too much either.

You need to have a service come to pump it out periodically. How often depends on how heavy the usage at the house is. You could probably go every other year, unless you have lots of adults at the house all the time. Arrange not to be home when they come to pump it out, it's seriously Cliaz level disgusting. :D

Had a new septic system put in when we bought this house. Been about 15 years or so I guess. Have never poured any thing down the drain of the nature you are talking about.

There are definite rules for sure, but on the whole maintenance is pretty easy and isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Biggest thing you need to worry about is for clogged drains. They happen from time to time.... and you must ensure that you use septic safe drain cleaners. Same goes for laundry soap and TP.

All in all.... having a septic vice city sewer isn't going be a burden for maintenance.

You need any more than that... gimmie a call or a PM.

You need to have a service come to pump it out periodically. How often depends on how heavy the usage at the house is. You could probably go every other year, unless you have lots of adults at the house all the time. Arrange not to be home when they come to pump it out, it's seriously Cliaz level disgusting. :D

Hmmm..... Guess I can go along with this for a house with small kids. We had ours pumped at the 10 year mark and the guy said we didn't really need it. Next door hasn't had theirs pumped either and it's been around 5-6 years since they moved in. They have 2 kids.

Guess it all depends, like you say, on the usage.

Spain, as Czar said, it is important to have your septic tank pumped regularly. The primary purpose of the septic tank is the retain "solids" and prevent them from entering the subsurface absorption area. If solids enters the absorption area, they will clog the media (sand or stone), and your system will either back up or bubble up to the surface. Neither situation is good, and will cost much more to properly repair then pumping your septic tank. With a family of 2 adults and a couple of young kids, you should probably pump it every 3 or 4 years.

Also, there is biological activity going on in the septic tank. Most of the solids are actually broken down through this biological activity. Therefore, don't dump stuff down the drain that will kill the little bacteria, etc. that are working in there. That means acidic solutions, paint, lots of cleaners. Regular household cleaners in normal concentrations are not a problem. Just don't dump a gallon of bleach down the drain all at once. I don't believe that you should ever have to add any of the commercial enzyme solutions. Over course, the enzyme people will tell you differently. Doesn't hurt to add them, but it doesn't eliminate the need for system maintenance.

You should also have a good idea where your absorption area is. Don't build a shed over it, pave over it, park heavy vehicles, etc on it. You don't want to compact the ground over the absorption area. Also, I have seen trucks crush septic tanks. Not cheap to repair.

And finally, don't let Polk or Cliaz use your bathroom.

If your drain field is near any trees, it would be wise to have someone periodically keep the lines clear of roots that can get into older pipes. We learned this the hard way. I have a guy come out every 3-4 years to pump it out and rout the pipes, just in case.

Having raw sewage come back up in your yard is kinda ruins the whole "backyard 40th birthday party with 50 guests on our deck while a stinky gieser shoots 15 ft in the air when someone hammers in a horseshoe stake" thing. :D True story. He hit a tile that had a little pressure built up.

I've also been told not to put a whole lot of "helper" chemicals down. There is enough bacteria naturally to do the trick.

Check your filter every 6 months and clean or change it, especially if running a garbage disposal.

We're required to have a 2 zone system here, i would assume that is the norm, if so, change your leach bed zones every year.

I put in product call RID-X every month to help reduce waste backing up system.

I'd recommend having a backwater valve installed to prevent back up of system into your home.

Check your filter every 6 months and clean or change it, especially if running a garbage disposal.

We're required to have a 2 zone system here, i would assume that is the norm, if so, change your leach bed zones every year.

I put in product call RID-X every month to help reduce waste backing up system.

I'd recommend having a backwater valve installed to prevent back up of system into your home.

We use RID-X. Our house is 7 years old and never been pumped. I thought backflow preventers were code everywhere. We actually want our system to fail so we can replace it with an aerobic system, but it seems to take everything we've thrown at it so far.

dont use a garbage disposal... ever with septic.. compost it

try not to dump grease down the drain

pump it at least everyother year

no need to add bactteria if it is not "cleansed" with chemicals like drain cleaners etc

Ok, here is the deal. We had an alarm for the septic tank go off a couple times in the past month. So, I start to get worried and call the Septic Tank Company or Honey Dipper as they are commonly called. Dude tells me over the phone that its $250 to come out and empty it. I agree. He comes out and digs up my back yard and immediately discovers that my pump isnt working. So, he calls the plumber that he uses alot. Plummer comes out and agrees that the poop pump is broken and runs back to the shop to get one. They empty the tank, put in a new pump, then pull out a big jar of vasoline for yours truly. Cost for the Septic Tank guy was $500 and cost for the plummer and pump was $950! I am glad I got the problem fixed but boy does my butt hurt! :D

Your septic tank has an alarm on it? :D I suppose that's a good idea.

When we had ours pumped a couple years ago, they told me the something or other flap was broken. I too expected to have my yard excavated and to be writing a check with 4 figures to it. Turns out it's some little diverter thing for the solids that they could reach just going through the access pipe.

Take heart Spain...most people don't have this kind of trouble with their septic and it should be fine now (assuming they put a decent pump in there).

I have public sewer, but I have a grinder pump with an alarm. Usually if the alarm goes off its because the float got weighed down and didn't allow the pump to start when needed.

when those grinders break down watch out.... not a good thing :D

Having raw sewage come back up in your yard is kinda ruins the whole "backyard 40th birthday party with 50 guests on our deck while a stinky gieser shoots 15 ft in the air when someone hammers in a horseshoe stake" thing. :D True story. He hit a tile that had a little pressure built up.

and then the party really got started ....

:D