[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay Linebackers

Rotoworld) Green Bay is still considering starting LB Abdul Hodge at MLB to open the season, with Nick Barnett moving to the strong-side.

Impact: Such a move would be a huge boon to Hodge's IDP value, while Barnett's would sink badly. Hodge is currently lining up as the backup MLB, but Barnett may move outside if the team isn't impressed by strong-side candidates Ben Taylor and Roy Manning.

Published Mon Jul 3 11:10:00 a.m. ET 2006

(Rotoworld) Green Bay is considering moving Nick Barnett to strong-side linebacker.

Impact: With quality third-round pick Abdul Hodge behind him at MLB, Green Bay would get their three best linebacker on the field by moving Barnett outside. This would crush his IDP value and currently makes Barnett a risky re-draft pick.

Fantasywise - I think this might cut Hawks value a little as well as sinking Barnett's value and Hodge will be the winner in all of this. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

I like Taylor, but Hodge will become a starter by midseason if not training camp. With Hawk being penciled in as an every down LB, he will probably overtake Barnett as the Packer to draft.

Hodge could be the steal of the draft if this happens(round 3).

I traded Hodge becasue I already have a couple of two down MLB's. This hurts Barnett, no two ways around that, IF it happens. Two down MLB's just aren't very good, FF-wise. There are a few that score respectably, but they are the exception.

I traded Hodge becasue I already have a couple of two down MLB's. This hurts Barnett, no two ways around that, IF it happens. Two down MLB's just aren't very good, FF-wise. There are a few that score respectably, but they are the exception.

I think this concept is extremely overrated. To me, it seems like "veteran" IDPers want to give themselves one more thing to analyze when rating the linebackers -- which is good -- but I'll still take 90% of the two-down MLBs over 90% of the 3-down OLBs in the game.

Plus, unless you watch most of the games a given team plays, it's impossible to really know which LBs leave the field and when. Even watching every Packers game last year, I couldn't tell you on any given Sunday which LB was going stand next to Barnett in the nickel. :D

Also, if it's a nickel or dime defense, that means it's 3rd-and-long and the offense will probably be passing the ball -- how many snaps per game are we talking about here, anyway? 10? Maybe 12? And, of those 10 or 12, how many times is the play going to be near the LBs' area? It's just not relevant enough to make much of a difference to me.

Either way, Green Bay's defensive scheme is friendly to the MLB position, so if Barnett moves to SLB, Hodge will be the highest-scoring IDP on the team. :D

It's not just 3rd and longs, it could be a nickel in 2nd and ten. 1st and 15. Depends on the scheme and the team, really. Some two down linebackers can be on the sideline for as much as half the D snaps, depending.

It's not just 3rd and longs, it could be a nickel in 2nd and ten. 1st and 15. Depends on the scheme and the team, really. Some two down linebackers can be on the sideline for as much as half the D snaps, depending.

:D

The Titans, for example, spend an inordinate amount of time in the nickel ...

Rotoworld) Green Bay is still considering starting LB Abdul Hodge at MLB to open the season, with Nick Barnett moving to the strong-side.

Impact: Such a move would be a huge boon to Hodge's IDP value, while Barnett's would sink badly. Hodge is currently lining up as the backup MLB, but Barnett may move outside if the team isn't impressed by strong-side candidates Ben Taylor and Roy Manning.

Published Mon Jul 3 11:10:00 a.m. ET 2006

(Rotoworld) Green Bay is considering moving Nick Barnett to strong-side linebacker.

Impact: With quality third-round pick Abdul Hodge behind him at MLB, Green Bay would get their three best linebacker on the field by moving Barnett outside. This would crush his IDP value and currently makes Barnett a risky re-draft pick.

Fantasywise - I think this might cut Hawks value a little as well as sinking Barnett's value and Hodge will be the winner in all of this. :D

Wow, good info here

The Titans, for example, spend an inordinate amount of time in the nickel ...

LOL! just to add insult to injury..... I have Peter Sirmon on one roster. Even if he holds onto the starting MLB spot, he's not a starting LB on any fantasy team that wants to make the playoffs. Hartwell is another starting 2 down MLB that isn't worth much. Some guys like Trotter break the rules, but I honestly don't think Hodge is one of them.

I agree -- teams will go to a nickel on 2nd-and-long sometimes, as well. However, my point remains. Other than a couple of teams (like the Raiders last year, or the Titans, according to Beaumont), the amount of plays in a nickel defense just isn't very significant to me.

No matter what else you believe, most top LBs get their 10 solos in a game on RUNNING plays. Most offenses don't run the ball when the defense is in the nickel, so it really matters little which LBs are on the field when the offense is passing. :D

I agree -- teams will go to a nickel on 2nd-and-long sometimes, as well. However, my point remains. Other than a couple of teams (like the Raiders last year, or the Titans, according to Beaumont), the amount of plays in a nickel defense just isn't very significant to me.

No matter what else you believe, most top LBs get their 10 solos in a game on RUNNING plays. Most offenses don't run the ball when the defense is in the nickel, so it really matters little which LBs are on the field when the offense is passing. :D

I would think if the offense is passing the linebackers that are on the field that drop into coverage at least have the chance of coming up with the big plays - interceptions, forced fumbles in tackling the WR, fumble recoveries. All very hard to predict but nonetheless. Somewhat important information. It would seperate the linebackers who just get tackles and those that have the opportunities for the big plays that jack up the fantasy scoring weekly.

If he is going to be only a 2 down linebacker (which is still speculation)- his value won't be real high. Of course AJ would be the player to go after as he sounds like he will be on the field at all times. Hodge will get his opportunity at MLB and has the talent - but as a 2 down linebacker won't score the points to be a top linebacker. In a 16 team dynasty he was drafted at 2.02 - that would compare to your 2.06 pick. If you want Hodge you'll have to go early. I'm sure someone will take a chance that he'll be a 3 down MLB.

Other good linebackers would be Sims and Greenway and D Ryan - rumor has it they are moving him to MLB - he also went early as did D'Qwell Jackson ILB for Browns. In my 16 team Hawk went late 1.13, Greenway at 1.12 and Sims at 2.03. All top linebacker prospects went in the late 1st early to mid second.

Hope this helps and as a Packer fan - I love the idea of all 3 linebackers on the field all the time! Personally i would target AJ or Greenway or Sims even Ryan before Hodge. JMO.

This is how our 16 team dynasty rook draft went in mid-May:

1.01 1 Beaumont's Petro-Chems Bush, Reggie NOS RB

1.02 2 Cimmerians - DKF Addai, Joseph IND RB

1.03 3 High Voltage - jgcoach Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

1.04 4 Inconceivable! White, LenDale TEN RB

1.05 5 Fatman's Fat Sackers Maroney, Laurence NEP RB

1.06 6 Piranha's Pirates Hawk, A.J. GBP LB

1.07 7 KevinL Davis, Vernon SFO TE Mon May 15 5:36:26 p.m. ET 2006

1.08 8 Piranha's Pirates Leinart, Matt ARI QB

1.09 9 Fatman's Fat Sackers Cutler, Jay DEN QB

1.10 10 King Fish Young, Vince TEN QB

1.11 11 The Naked Bootleggers Sims, Ernie DET LB

1.12 12 KevinL Norwood, Jerious ATL RB T

1.13 13 RWings Jackson, Chad NEP WR

1.14 14 Piranha's Pirates Holmes, Santonio PIT WR

1.15 15 Cimmerians - DKF Pope, Leonard ARI TE

1.16 16 Atlanta Apathy Greenway, Chad MIN LB

2.01 17 Los Gigantes Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

2.02 18 Inconceivable! Calhoun, Brian DET RB

2.03 19 High Voltage - jgcoach Williams, Mario HOU DE

2.04 20 skinny hispanics Drew, Maurice JAC RB

2.05 21 The Naked Bootleggers Huff, Michael OAK S

2.06 22 Beaumont's Petro-Chems Jackson, D'Qwell CLE LB

2.07 23 High Voltage - jgcoach Moss, Sinorice NYG WR

2.08 24 Crow Magnum Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB

2.09 25 Beaumont's Petro-Chems Jennings, Greg GBP WR

2.10 26 Steel Flies Carpenter, Bobby DAL LB

2.11 27 KevinL Harrison, Jerome CLE RB

2.12 28 Atlanta Apathy McIntosh, Roger WAS LB

2.13 29 Fatman's Fat Sackers Hodge, Abdul GBP LB

This is how our 16 team dynasty rook draft went in mid-May:

1.01 1 Beaumont's Petro-Chems Bush, Reggie NOS RB

1.02 2 Cimmerians - DKF Addai, Joseph IND RB

1.03 3 High Voltage - jgcoach Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

1.04 4 Inconceivable! White, LenDale TEN RB

1.05 5 Fatman's Fat Sackers Maroney, Laurence NEP RB

1.06 6 Piranha's Pirates Hawk, A.J. GBP LB

1.07 7 KevinL Davis, Vernon SFO TE Mon May 15 5:36:26 p.m. ET 2006

1.08 8 Piranha's Pirates Leinart, Matt ARI QB

1.09 9 Fatman's Fat Sackers Cutler, Jay DEN QB

1.10 10 King Fish Young, Vince TEN QB

1.11 11 The Naked Bootleggers Sims, Ernie DET LB

1.12 12 KevinL Norwood, Jerious ATL RB T

1.13 13 RWings Jackson, Chad NEP WR

1.14 14 Piranha's Pirates Holmes, Santonio PIT WR

1.15 15 Cimmerians - DKF Pope, Leonard ARI TE

1.16 16 Atlanta Apathy Greenway, Chad MIN LB

2.01 17 Los Gigantes Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

2.02 18 Inconceivable! Calhoun, Brian DET RB

2.03 19 High Voltage - jgcoach Williams, Mario HOU DE

2.04 20 skinny hispanics Drew, Maurice JAC RB

2.05 21 The Naked Bootleggers Huff, Michael OAK S

2.06 22 Beaumont's Petro-Chems Jackson, D'Qwell CLE LB

2.07 23 High Voltage - jgcoach Moss, Sinorice NYG WR

2.08 24 Crow Magnum Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB

2.09 25 Beaumont's Petro-Chems Jennings, Greg GBP WR

2.10 26 Steel Flies Carpenter, Bobby DAL LB

2.11 27 KevinL Harrison, Jerome CLE RB

2.12 28 Atlanta Apathy McIntosh, Roger WAS LB

2.13 29 Fatman's Fat Sackers Hodge, Abdul GBP LB

Do you mind sharing a link to this draft???

Here is my teams 8 round rookie draft with scoring and starting details if this helps anyone.

16 Team Dynasty with IDP and contracts

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 DB, 1 flex DL/DB 3LB

Scoring - all TD 6 pts

1 pt per 40 yds passing, 1 pt per 20 yds rushing/receiving, 1 PPR

2 pts tackle, 1 pt assist, 2 pts sacks, 1 pt .05 sack, 2 pt FF, 3 pt FR, 3 pt interception 1pt PD all TD 6 pts

My picks are in bold

1.01 1 Bush, Reggie NOS RB

1.02 2 Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

1.03 3 Maroney, Laurence NEP RB

1.04 4 Addai, Joseph IND RB

1.05 5 Davis, Vernon SFO TE

1.06 6 Leinart, Matt ARI QB

1.07 7 White, LenDale TEN RB 1st pick team A

1.08 8 Cutler, Jay DEN QB

1.09 9 Jackson, Chad NEP WR

1.10 10 Calhoun, Brian DET RB 2nd pick team A

1.11 11 Drew, Maurice JAC RB

1.12 12 Norwood, Jerious ATL RB 1st pick team B - owner of Warrick Dunn

1.13 13 Hawk, A.J. GBP LB 3rd pick team A via trade

1.14 14 Greenway, Chad MIN LB 2nd pick team B

1.15 15 Young, Vince TEN QB

1.16 16 Jackson, D'Qwell CLE LB

2.01 17 Williams, Mario HOU DE

2.02 18 Hodge, Abdul GBP LB

2.03 19 Sims, Ernie DET LB 3rd pick team B via trade

2.04 20 Holmes, Santonio PIT

2.05 21 Lawson, Manny SFO LB

2.06 22 Moss, Sinorice NYG WR

2.07 23 Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

2.08 24 Jennings, Greg GBP WR

2.09 25 Pope, Leonard ARI TE

2.10 26 Klopfenstein, Joe STL TE

2.11 27 Ngata, Haloti BAL DT

2.12 28 Jackson, Tarvaris MIN QB

2.13 29 Scheffler, Tony DEN TE

2.14 30 Huff, Michael OAK S

2.15 31 Carpenter, Bobby DAL LB

2.16 32 Whitner, Donte BUF S

3.01 33 Wimbley, Kamerion CLE DE

3.02 34 Marshall, Brandon DEN WR

3.03 35 Humes, Cedric PIT RB

3.04 36 Harrison, Jerome CLE RB

3.05 37 Stovall, Maurice TBB WR

3.06 38 Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB

3.07 39 McIntosh, Roger WAS LB

3.08 40 Hali, Tamba KCC DE

3.09 41 Tulloch, Stephen TEN LB

3.10 42 Byrd, Dominique STL TE

3.11 43Hagan, Derek MIA WR

3.12 44 Williams, Demetrius BAL WR

3.13 45 Fasano, Anthony DAL TE

3.14 46 Cromartie, Antonio SDC CB

3.15 47Williams, Brandon SFO WR

3.16 48 Wilson, Travis CLE WR

4.01 49 Croyle, Brodie KCC QB

4.02 50 Howard, Thomas OAK LB

4.03 51 Manning, Danieal CHI S t

4.04 52 Bunkley, Brodrick PHI DT

4.05 53 Hill, Tye STL CB

4.06 54 McCargo, John BUF DT

4.07 55 Clemens, Kellen NYJ QB

4.08 56 Gradkowski, Bruce TBB QB

4.09 57 Allen, Jason MIA CB

4.10 58 Kiwanuka, Mathias NYG DE

4.11 59 Tapp, Darryl SEA DE

4.12 60 Nicholson, A. J. CIN LB

4.13 61 Daniels, P.J. BAL RB

4.14 62 Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK

4.15 63 Hester, Devin CHI WR

4.16 64 Washington, Leon NYJ RB

5.01 65 Bullocks, Daniel DET S

5.02 66 Williams, Jimmy ATL CB

5.03 67 Hass, Mike NOS WR

5.04 68 Smith, Brad NYJ WR

5.05 69 Avant, Jason PHI WR

5.06 70 De'Arrius Howard KC RB

5.07 71 Alston, Jon STL LB

5.08 72 Webb, Jeff KCC WR

5.09 73 Schlegel, Anthony NYJ LB

5.10 74 Ingram, Clint JAC LB

5.11 75 McNeal, Reggie CIN QB

5.12 76 Harper, Roman NOS S

5.13 77 Rodgers, Cory GBP WR

5.14 78 Mills, Garrett NEP TE

5.15 79 Jacobs, Omar PIT QB

5.16 80 Keiaho, Freddie IND LB

6.01 81 King, Jeff CAR TE

6.02 82 Whitehurst, Charlie SDC QB T

6.03 83 Anderson, Mark CHI DE

6.04 84 Green, Skyler DAL WR

6.05 85 Youboty, Ashton BUF CB

6.06 86 Jennings, Kelly SEA CB T

6.07 87 Reid, Willie PIT WR

6.08 88 Dobbins, Tim SDC LB

6.09 89 Robinson, Michael SFO WR

6.10 90 Wroten, Claude STL DT

6.11 91 Pollard, Bernard KCC S

6.12 92 Thomas, Dave NEP TE

6.13 93 Martin, Ingle GBP QB

6.14 94 Vickers, Lawrence CLE RB

6.15 95 Griffin, Cedric MIN CB Tue

6.16 96 Wilkinson, Gerris NYG LB

7.01 97 Edwards, Ray MIN DE

7.02 98 Gocong, Chris PHI DE

7.03 99 Smith, Eric NYJ S

7.04 100 Hatcher, Jason DAL DE

7.05 101 Watson, Gabriel ARI DT

7.06 102 Hixon, Domenik DEN WR

7.07 103 Bing, Darnell OAK S

7.08 104 Morton, Chad NYG RB

7.09 105 Smith, Anthony PIT S

7.10 106 Daniels, Owen HOU TE

7.11 107 Runnels, J.D. CHI RB

7.12 108 Nance, Martin BUF WR

7.13 109 Ross, Derrick KC RB

7.14 110 Zemaitis, Alan TBB CB

7.15 111 Simpson, Ko BUF S

7.16 112 Dumervil, Elvis DEN DE

8.01 113 Dvoracek, Dusty CHI DT

8.02 114 Anderson, James CAR LB

8.03 115 Orr, Jonathan TEN WR

8.04 116 Mahelona, Jesse TEN DT

8.05 117 Timer Expired

8.06 118 Williams, Jamar CHI LB

8.07 119 Lundy, Wali HOU RB

8.08 120 Bell, Mick DEN RB

8.09 121 Landry, Dawan BAL S

8.10 122 Lowry, Calvin TEN S

8.11 123 Timer Expired

8.12 124 Cofield, Barry NYG DT

8.13 125 Colston, Marques NOS TE

8.14 126 Harris, Orien PIT DT

8.15 127 Shockley, D.J. ATL QB

8.16 128 Hall, Andre TB RB

Edited by Stingers

I drafted Hodge (16 team dynasty) in the early third round, but since then, the reports about him starting, he's bound to go earlier than that now.

I wonder if there is a list anywhere of "2 down" MLB's, and how they scored last year.... hmmmmm....

I would think if the offense is passing the linebackers that are on the field that drop into coverage at least have the chance of coming up with the big plays - interceptions, forced fumbles in tackling the WR, fumble recoveries. All very hard to predict but nonetheless. Somewhat important information. It would seperate the linebackers who just get tackles and those that have the opportunities for the big plays that jack up the fantasy scoring weekly.

Sure, in zone coverage, a nickel LB might tackle a WR coming across the middle, but...it's just not that significant. As I said, MOST of the tackles made by LBs are on running plays.

I wonder if there is a list anywhere of "2 down" MLB's, and how they scored last year.... hmmmmm....

I'd certainly pay attention to a list like that, but it would be an "all-other-things-equal" kind of decision aid. I'll forever maintain that there are football players who just have a crazy tackling instinct and it's those players who end up with the gaudy tackle numbers. Schemes and 2- vs. 3-down designations are good things to consider, but they're overrated.

Another note on that topic -- for as many 1st- and 2nd-and-long situations, there are just as many (or more) 3rd-and-short (and even 4th-and-short) situations when these supposed "2-down LBs" are still on the field making tackles. :D

Another note on that topic -- for as many 1st- and 2nd-and-long situations, there are just as many (or more) 3rd-and-short (and even 4th-and-short) situations when these supposed "2-down LBs" are still on the field making tackles. :D

True