[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Wallace to the Bulls

CaptainHook

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

now they need to trade that bum chandler.

Chandler is far from a bum in my eyes, he is a better than average rebounder, take him out of the lineup in Chicago this year and they wouldn't have made the playoffs. But needless to say Wallace is a huge upgrade.

Wallace opts to leave Detroit, agrees to four-year deal with Bulls

July 3, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DETROIT -- Free-agent center Ben Wallace is leaving the Detroit Pistons to sign with the Chicago Bulls, a person within the NBA said Monday.

The person, who spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because NBA free agents can't officially sign contracts until July 12, said the Pistons offered Wallace a four-year contract worth about $50 million. That would have made him the highest-paid player on the team next season with a salary of $11.5 million.

Messages were left Monday night for Wallace's agent, Arn Tellem, and a call to Wallace's home in suburban Detroit went unanswered. Wallace told the Detroit News on Sunday that he was disappointed with the Pistons' offer.

"I appreciate everything Detroit did for me and my family," he told the newspaper Monday night. "They gave me an opportunity to make a name for myself and we had an opportunity to win a championship together."

Ben Wallace gives the Bulls a veteran champ to look up to. (Getty Images)

Wallace helped Detroit advance to four consecutive conference finals -- the first team to do so since the Bulls of the early 1990s.

Detroit wanted to keep its starting lineup together, and Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, said late last week that his top priority was to re-sign Wallace.

Wallace, a four-time Defensive Player of the Year, could be a good fit for an up-and-coming Chicago team that needs help with rebounding and defense.

He was just what the Pistons needed when they acquired him and Chucky Atkins from Orlando before the 2000-01 season in a sign-and-trade deal for Grant Hill.

Wallace helped Detroit advance in the playoffs in 2002 -- for the first time since 1991 -- get to the conference finals in 2003, win a title in 2004 and reach the Finals last year. The Pistons won an NBA-high and franchise-record 64 games last season, then lost to the eventual champion Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference finals.

During the past regular season, he ranked fourth in rebounding (11.3), ninth in blocks (2.2) and 10th in steals (1.78) -- the only player among the top 10 in all three categories. The undrafted free agent from Virginia Union became the fifth player in league history to have 100 blocks and 100 steals in six seasons in a row, a list that includes Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Sam Lacey and David Robinson.

Wallace, who turns 32 on Sept. 10, scored 7.3 points a game this season and has not averaged double digits in any of his 10 years in the league. Since beginning his career with the Washington Wizards, he has averaged 6.6 points and made 42 percent of his free throws.

The Pistons center, affectionately known as "Big Ben" by his fans, became the first player to win the Defensive Player of the Year award four times in a five-year span.

AP NEWS

Chandler is far from a bum in my eyes, he is a better than average rebounder, take him out of the lineup in Chicago this year and they wouldn't have made the playoffs. But needless to say Wallace is a huge upgrade.

yeah ive always kinda liked tyson chandler...i used to rep him over eddy curry,you could see he had more heart, from day one...hes a shot altering presence and a good rebounder....its too bad he just isnt smooth around the basket....if you could put currys offensive game in chandler...that would be one beast of a player

Really hate to see him go as he was the face of the Pistons nationally over the last few seasons. One championship and almost another. Dude changed the attitude on this team after coming here for Grant Hill. We went from a finesse team to a much more physical team. Good luck to Ben, his story is a wonderful one.

Given that, I'm glad the Pistons did not offer $15 million/year for 4 years. He didn't have his best season last year and is beginning the down side of his career IMO. His style of play is vey rough on a body and I'm not sure how effective he'll be in years 3 and 4 of the contract. I still think it was a good signing for the Bulls, because they will have a proven winner to show their very talented young nucleus how to win. As much as he brings on the defensive side of the ball, his lack of offensive production combined with his age, makes $15 million too expensive IMO.

its also going to be fun seeing Wallace, Chandler, and Tyrus Thomas at the same time.

but then i saw this i saw some chandler spamshirts on sale, so he may be on the way out.

i would not mind getting rid of Chandler for the 8 million he makes he is not playing the part.

so paxon is not yet done. he wants Garnett.

Daily Southtown: "As part of the deal, the Bulls are believed to have promised to continue their pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves star forward Kevin Garnett, who could be the final piece to the championship puzzle... The Bulls believe they can revive the talks if they sweeten their offer of center Tyson Chandler and forward Luol Deng with recent first-round draft pick Tyrus Thomas, whom the Timberwolves are known to covet."

so paxon is not yet done. he wants Garnett.

Daily Southtown: "As part of the deal, the Bulls are believed to have promised to continue their pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves star forward Kevin Garnett, who could be the final piece to the championship puzzle... The Bulls believe they can revive the talks if they sweeten their offer of center Tyson Chandler and forward Luol Deng with recent first-round draft pick Tyrus Thomas, whom the Timberwolves are known to covet."

Chandler/Deng/ and Thomas? for Garnett? I wouldn't make that trade if I were Chicago. . .

What Puddy said.

There is speculation that Wallace wants a bigger role on offense, and he probably will have the opportunity to prove himself under coach Scott Skiles.

Paxson isn't done, no way. But there is no way he is giving up that much for Garnett. He isn't ready to break up this core group of players. I think the Garnett rumors are BS.

And to anyone who thinks Chandler has done well, he BLOWS. This guy is being paid basically 60 million dollars and he hasn't done anything but regress in his play. In the playoffs his numbers were 1.8 PPG and 4.5 RPG. That is horrible. This guy "is what he is". He isn't gonna be Kevin Garnett which so many people thought he could be. He hasn't bulked up before and I can't see him doing that too much in the future.

He said in the tribune today that he thinks he is gonna be an All-Star next year. This guy sucks, plain and simple. Get rid of the last piece from the Krause era.

I would in a second.

Gordon, Hinrich, Ben, Garnett, and Nocioni, that is excellent starting lineup

While I agree that would be a he11 of a line-up I dont like the idea of letting Thomas get away. The combo of Wallace and Thomas in the lineup =no inside offense for the opponent period.

Having watched Thomas down here at LSU I think he may be the most exciting young prospect to come along in a while.

I would in a second.

Gordon, Hinrich, Ben, Garnett, and Nocioni, that is excellent starting lineup

You kill cap space and there is no way you would be able to sign Hinrich and Ben to long term contracts. The young core is gone.

I love Luol and I think he could be an all-star one day.

You kill cap space and there is no way you would be able to sign Hinrich and Ben to long term contracts. The young core is gone.

I love Luol and I think he could be an all-star one day.

Stranger things have happened. Who knows what KG would do to come to a contender - especially when it's his hometown. Now, are the Bulls a contender? ESPN's crew seems to think so.

Deng is a good role-player that I couldn't see making an All-Star team. Nice player, not All-Star level.

Chandler is gone, yes. No more pieces from the Krause era; good riddance.

Link

Awesome. Pretty nice trade. Brown is ancient but will pair nicely with Wallace in the middle to teach the youngsters.

Smith is young and has some upside. Problem is, he's somewhat similar to Deng as swingman.

It'll be interesting to see how these older vets mesh with the kids and younger players like Deng, Hinrich and Gordon.

Really hate to see him go as he was the face of the Pistons nationally over the last few seasons. One championship and almost another. Dude changed the attitude on this team after coming here for Grant Hill. We went from a finesse team to a much more physical team. Good luck to Ben, his story is a wonderful one.

Given that, I'm glad the Pistons did not offer $15 million/year for 4 years. He didn't have his best season last year and is beginning the down side of his career IMO. His style of play is vey rough on a body and I'm not sure how effective he'll be in years 3 and 4 of the contract. I still think it was a good signing for the Bulls, because they will have a proven winner to show their very talented young nucleus how to win. As much as he brings on the defensive side of the ball, his lack of offensive production combined with his age, makes $15 million too expensive IMO.

I agree with Puddy I think the guy has reached his ceiling not saying he isn't a great player but I think his best years are back in Detroit. Could be an interesting team to watch this season :D

Stranger things have happened. Who knows what KG would do to come to a contender - especially when it's his hometown. Now, are the Bulls a contender? ESPN's crew seems to think so.

Deng is a good role-player that I couldn't see making an All-Star team. Nice player, not All-Star level.

Awesome. Pretty nice trade. Brown is ancient but will pair nicely with Wallace in the middle to teach the youngsters.

Smith is young and has some upside. Problem is, he's somewhat similar to Deng as swingman.

It'll be interesting to see how these older vets mesh with the kids and younger players like Deng, Hinrich and Gordon.

I truly don't think Paxson is willing to give up all that for KG. He knows he has some awesome young guys and wants to build around them. This team is going to be a defensive wall; that is what he is trying to build.

There were several games where Deng just exploded and showed what he is capable of doing. People often forget that this guy was the 2nd best recruit in the nation next to LeBron James. The guy can play and he is starting to figure it out. He is long, athletic, and can shoot pretty well (and that will only improve). The guy has talent and is definitely gonna be more than a "role player". When I think of "role players", I think of guys from the Kobe, Shaq Laker teams: Rick Fox, Devean George, etc. Luol Deng is heads and shoulders above those guys.

Brown played very well last year considering he is at the end of his career. He adds more size which we needed and he can play offense. He is suppose to be a great locker room influence which will be great. Wallace is gonna take the spotlight off a lot of the guys on this team, especially someone like Kirk who never really wanted it.

Smith will be lucky to crack Skiles rotation. Look for them to use him as trade bait.

I truly don't think Paxson is willing to give up all that for KG. He knows he has some awesome young guys and wants to build around them. This team is going to be a defensive wall; that is what he is trying to build.

There were several games where Deng just exploded and showed what he is capable of doing. People often forget that this guy was the 2nd best recruit in the nation next to LeBron James. The guy can play and he is starting to figure it out. He is long, athletic, and can shoot pretty well (and that will only improve). The guy has talent and is definitely gonna be more than a "role player". When I think of "role players", I think of guys from the Kobe, Shaq Laker teams: Rick Fox, Devean George, etc. Luol Deng is heads and shoulders above those guys.

Brown played very well last year considering he is at the end of his career. He adds more size which we needed and he can play offense. He is suppose to be a great locker room influence which will be great. Wallace is gonna take the spotlight off a lot of the guys on this team, especially someone like Kirk who never really wanted it.

Smith will be lucky to crack Skiles rotation. Look for them to use him as trade bait.

Paxson's the man. My favorite player of all time. :D He's doing a pretty nice job as GM. Far better than his older brother did in Cleveland (KevinL could attest to that).

You're right, Deng has had some nice games... whether he can do that in stretches remains to be seen.

Where are you getting this info on Deng being the 2nd best recruit in the LeBron class? I know he was a top recruit (hence the signing at Duke) but didn't know he was THAT highly-touted. :D (Edit: Just read up on Deng on Wikipedia... guess he was thought to be - by some - to be the best senior coming out of HS that year)

With Gordon and Hinrich commanding the ball, the emergence of Nocioni and addition of Wallace, who's supposedly going to be integrated into the offense more... I just don't see how Deng will be any more than a 10-12 point a night guy, with nice rebounding totals for a swingman and good steal numbers.

Edited by darin3