[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BATTLE OF THE IDPs - Battle #1

Who would you draft/bid on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Standard Re-draft League

• Keith Bulluck
    • Zach Thomas
  2. 2. Keeper/Dynasty League

• Keith Bulluck
    • Zach Thomas

Welcome to the first IDP BATTLE, where we take two very similar IDPs and through discussion, determine who the Huddlers think is most worthy of drafting or bidding in auction leagues - both in re-draft and dynasty formats.

With Jonathan Vilma perhaps affected by the Jets' switch to the 3-4, Bulluck and Thomas appear to be the best two LBs, fantasy-wise.

Let's first review a few merits of each:

Keith Bulluck, TEN (keggerz)

1. Posted his 3rd straight 100+ solo tackle season (99 solos in '02 or it would be 4 straight) and there is no reason to expect anything less this year. Actually I expect to see an increase in his overall stats this yr.

2. While the Titans will be a better team in a couple of years this year is going to be a trying year in Titanville. That means more opportunities for Bulluck since the defense will be on the field much more this year. More opportunities for a guy like Keith means more fantasy points.

3. No matter if you are looking at a re-draft or dynasty league I would make Bulluck the #1 LB off the board with no questions asked and no regrets.

4. Bulluck only had 1 week last year in Fusion (BoTH league) that he scored less than double digit points(9 pts). Only Jonathan Vilma and Donnie Edwards scored in double digits every week.

5. Bulluck has only missed 1 game the last six years and that was back on November 4, 2001.

Zach Thomas, MIA (darin3)

1. Was the third-ranked LB in The Huddle's IDP Expert League in 2005, despite missing two games due to injury.

2. Extrapolated out, assuming his average of 23 fantasy ppg, he would have been the #1 LB

3. Has had 100 or more total tackles in all but one of his seasons (had 99 in 2000 when he only played 11 games)

4. BEST seasons have come as he's gotten older

5. The continued emergence of Channing Crowder could free Thomas up to keep making plays

-----

If nothing else, let's use this thread to discuss each player, their schedule, injury concerns, etc.

Check back tomorrow for a rundown on Ronde Barber vs. Roy Williams.

dynasty wise at first it seams like a no brainer condsidering thomas will be 33 for the whole season and Bullock is 6 years younger...but its quite possible thomas still has 2-3 years left to play...depending on how much punishment his body can put up with. I dont think id be upset taking him as my #1 LB though if he is surrounded by some youth.

Redraft I voted Thomas...but i think its basically a crap shoot on which one will be "better", i can see Bullock going higher almost everytime just because of his age...stat wise they seem to be almost identical...tough call to make

I went with Bullock, mostly because I think he'll get more defensive snaps than Thomas. Miami gets a total of 4 games against NY and Buffalo, two teams that will have trouble getting even first downs, nevermind scores. With the rather slow, stay at home MLB that Sirmon is, Bullock will be free to make plays.

I went with Bullock, mostly because I think he'll get more defensive snaps than Thomas. Miami gets a total of 4 games against NY and Buffalo, two teams that will have trouble getting even first downs, nevermind scores. With the rather slow, stay at home MLB that Sirmon is, Bullock will be free to make plays.

Yeah Bulluck is most likely the pick no matter what kind of league you are in. But it was worth noting that Thomas has only gotten better with age and would have been the #1 guy in many leagues/formats (assuming he scored a decent amount of points) had he not got hurt.

I like Bullock as the top LB with Vilma moving to the 4-3. I would be happy with either, but like Bullock better in keeper or re-draft.

I think that Thomas will lose some of his stats to the up and coming play of Channing Crowder. I believe that Bullock will remain strong and it doesn't matter redraft or dynasty. He is one of the top 2 LB in my rankings (Vilma being the other). Thomas may still have a couple of season left and still commands a steep price in dynasty leagues but I think that Bullocks will out point him.

• 2 weeks later...