[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BATTLE OF THE IDPs - Battle #2

Who would you draft/bid on?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Standard Re-draft League

• Roy Williams, DAL
    • Ronde Barber, TB
  2. 2. Keeper/Dynasty League

• Roy Williams, DAL
    • Ronde Barber, TB

Welcome to the second installment of IDP BATTLES, where we take two very similar IDPs and through discussion, determine who the Huddlers think is most worthy of drafting or bidding in auction leagues - both in re-draft and dynasty formats.

Ronde Barber is bar-none the best CB, but not just "any" CB (see below). Roy Williams is a hard-hitting up-and-comer, and has been for a few seasons. Is this the season he really breaks through, fantasy-wise?

Let's first review a few merits of each:

Roy Williams, DAL (darin3)

1. Has not missed one game in his four seasons in the NFL

2. While he has not produced huge tackle totals or INTs, he puts up solid across-the-board stats (passes defensed, forced fumbles, even a couple sacks)

3. Is always ready to make the "big play", which may lead to defensive TDs

4. With the addition of Marco Coleman and Keith Davis, two free safeties that could solidify the Cowboy's deep pass coverage, Williams could potentially play even more to his "extra linebacker" style, increasing his tackle/sack stats.

5. The fact that he's such a hard-hitter lends itself to the possibility of an increased number of forced fumbles

Ronde Barber, TB (keggerz)

1. A CB but not just any CB -- a CB playing in the Tampa Bay Cover-2. Barber is a 10-year vet that has been a mainstay in the top 6 the past 3 years. Like fine wine Barber is getting better with age. (2003 ranked #6, 2004 ranked #3, 2005 ranked #2)

2. Had a career year last year even without taking anything to the house

3. The Bucs play in a running division and that should only continue to help Barber's numbers

4. You still have to be cautious with Barber's age but he does always seem to be a bit undervalued

5. This year I think you will see Barber still crack the top 10 but at some point his age is gonna start to show

-----

In dynasty formats, you gotta think that the younger Williams is the choice. In redraft leagues, though, it may be a bit of a toss-up, especially if your league requires that you start CBs.

Edited by darin3

FlaWWed, come on dude. You cant throw a S vs a CB. I do like the idea here, but kets keep it on an equal playing field. CB's are for the most part in any league have the least value point wise, while FS and a select few SS like Roy/Troy P are worth a ton more. I'd take 3 solid FS's late rather than burn a early pick on RHonde. Yeah, Roy is speculated maybe to float @ CB and a lil LB, but in his case the NFL is coming down hard on his style of play, right or wrong, he has the bullzeye on his ass and his true value is at FS. Just break em down per position and *note the floaters IMO.....

FlaWWed, come on dude. You cant throw a S vs a CB. I do like the idea here, but kets keep it on an equal playing field. CB's are for the most part in any league have the least value point wise, while FS and a select few SS like Roy/Troy P are worth a ton more. I'd take 3 solid FS's late rather than burn a early pick on RHonde. Yeah, Roy is speculated maybe to float @ CB and a lil LB, but in his case the NFL is coming down hard on his style of play, right or wrong, he has the bullzeye on his ass and his true value is at FS. Just break em down per position and *note the floaters IMO.....

:D Most "basic" IDP leagues require you start "DBs", which means you can start a safety or corner. Barber's one of the best - if not the best - CB. Williams is a safety just waiting to have a monsterous season (following up on his '02 campaign). Thought it was an interesting dichotomy, assuming this information is not for the IDP elite, but rather for those just starting out in IDP leagues.

I see your point, though.

I have to disagree.... Barber is in a defensive scheme that actually funnels running plays to the outside. As long as they run that Tampa 2, Barber will continue to put up great numbers. Barber is good, but it's the scheme that makes him worthy of being considered with safeties. The FF points he's put up prove it.

Like a lot of IDP's, the scheme can dictate which player will be an IDP stud. Nothing in Tampa has changed, so Barber, based on his numbers, deserves consideration agianst players like Williams.

:D Most "basic" IDP leagues require you start "DBs", which means you can start a safety or corner. Barber's one of the best - if not the best - CB. Williams is a safety just waiting to have a monsterous season (following up on his '02 campaign). Thought it was an interesting dichotomy, assuming this information is not for the IDP elite, but rather for those just starting out in IDP leagues.

I see your point, though.

I agree. Interesting matchup. While everyone expects both Barber twins to drop off due to age and other factors they keep defying the odds.

Re draft Ronde

Keeper Roy

As mentioned I think what you are doing is great, but we are coming from two different points of view/IDP leagues we may be in. In all 3 of my IDP we start 11.

Teams may play one of the (4) following defensive schemes:

3-4-4---2 DE-1 DT-4 LB-2 S-2 CB

4-3-4---2 DE-2 DT-3 LB-2 S-2 CB

3-3-5---2 DE-1 DT-3 LB-2 S-2 CB-1 FLEX DB, which may be either a S or a CB

4-2-5---2 DE-2 DT-2 LB-2 S-2 CB-1 FLEX DB, which may be either a S or a CB

The 3-4-4 is the lineup of choice because LB's point wise are more valuable, esp MLB/WLB. It really depends on the scoring system you use. I just rather rate them in each position and then compare when you are up. In my case the drop off after Barber would be significant so I would load up on FS any worry on CB #2/3 later.

I have to disagree.... Barber is in a defensive scheme that actually funnels running plays to the outside. As long as they run that Tampa 2, Barber will continue to put up great numbers. Barber is good, but it's the scheme that makes him worthy of being considered with safeties. The FF points he's put up prove it.

Like a lot of IDP's, the scheme can dictate which player will be an IDP stud. Nothing in Tampa has changed, so Barber, based on his numbers, deserves consideration agianst players like Williams.

I agree here. I voted for redraft Rhonde Barber I think he'll keep putting up the points but for dyansty purposes and keeping a player beyond a year you have to go with the younger player like Williams :D

Roy Williams, DAL (darin3)

4. With the addition of Marco Coleman and Keith Davis, two free safeties that could solidify the Cowboy's deep pass coverage, Williams could potentially play even more to his "extra linebacker" style, increasing his tackle/sack stats.

Roy on both accounts. Roy is hands down on the dynasty, but if Dallas can find someone to fill the Darren Woodson role at FS, and they have addressed FS in the off season, then Roy could be huge.