[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boss Bailey

Is Boss Bailey really going in the middle?

Moving to the Middle

Boss Bailey Returns to Action with a New Role of Middle Linebacker

By Chrissie Zavicar

Detroitlions.com

July 31, 2006

LB Boss Bailey participated in his first training camp practice after spending three days on PUP.

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- There are a lot of things the Detroit Lions coaching staff is certain of: they want their players to work hard, show passion and know their stuff.

After this morning’s training camp practice in Allen Park, fans know something else the coaching staff is certain of: they want Boss Bailey to start at middle linebacker this season.

Bailey missed five games last season due to an ankle injury and has been rehabbing through the offseason. He underwent initial surgery after being placed in the Injured/Reserve, but had to have another surgery in April due to tendonitis.

The Lions placed him on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list at the outset of training camp, but took him off after just three days. He made his first full-padded appearance in Monday’s first practice on a hot and humid morning.

“I feel like I’m home again,” said Bailey. “It was like I was on a vacation or something being over to the side; it’s no fun to watch everybody get banged up and go through all the blood sweat and tears and you’re not involved in that.

“So it just felt good to get back involved in a little bit of that.”

Bailey being back on the practice field was just as exciting for Lions’ coaches as it was for Bailey himself. He will be an integral part of the Detroit defense, as the coaching staff is choosing to move him to middle linebacker in the absence of veteran Earl Holmes who did not re-sign with Detroit this offseason.

Bailey has never played the middle linebacker position – even in college – but he is excited at the possibilities it presents and the versatility he will have playing in Defensive Coordinator Donnie Henderson’s defensive scheme.

“That’s my dream man,” said Bailey. “I always envied the middle guys because you get the best of both worlds; you get to go both ways. You’re not one-dimensional, so to speak, on the outside. I’m loving it and I’m going to try my best to make it work.”

When Bailey was approached about taking over the middle linebacker position, he was stunned. His first inclination was to think that playing in the middle would take away his strength: running down opponents with his speed.

Bailey is excited to be put in the middle linebacker spot stating it has "always been his dream."

But Bailey’s fears were soon put to rest when he found out that Henderson’s defense calls for just that.

“In a 4-3 defense you can play it two ways: you can either spill runs or you can hammer runs back inside,” he said. “Here we’re going to send everything outside and it’s on me to run it down – plain and simple.

“It plays perfectly to my strength. The way we’re playing it is perfect for a guy like me because we’re sending it all to the outside and with my speed they know I can run it down and make the play.”

As far as his health is concerned, Bailey is feeling good for the time being. He isn’t feeling any pain in his ankle, so he is focusing on building strength.

“You have to play football in order to get into football shape,” said Bailey. “You can’t get into football shape on the sidelines, there’s no way, no how. You’ve got to be out there thinking, you have to know how to change direction, know how to react or you aren’t going to make the tackle; that in itself is going to weigh you down.

“Running on the side is easy - okay go touch the line, come back – you know that’s easy. But, being out there on the field is where you get into football shape.”

As excited as the coaches are to have him back, they also aren’t rushing him into anything. They want to slowly progress him into full strength without re-aggravating his ankle.

“We have to be smart with him – working him in day-by-day,” said Head Coach Rod Marinelli. “He was in the individual drills and 7-on-7’s, [we’re] working him back in slow. It’s a good way to start getting the re-direction and some of those things right now.”

Though things aren’t full-throttle just yet, Bailey’s focus is already centered on his new role as Lions’ middle linebacker.

“I was smiling from ear to ear [when they told me],” said Bailey. “I was like ‘this is going to be my ship and it’s on me to run it.