[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let me ask you Smokers these questions

cliaz

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

You have got to be kidding me. Are you really so hypersensitive? Christ, the only recommendation I have for you is to never go out.

Jeez.

I think we should make hypersensitive people have their separate areas to keep them from mixing with others.

When are the best cigarettes?

Meaning when is your favorite cigarette of the day? after you eat? Sex? drink? wake up? before you go to bed?

Someone had told me once that sometimes that cigarette just tastes the best

Sure...if you stand on the other side of my head when I pull the trigger with a sign around your neck saying "second-hand smoke".

I don't drink...how about banning the drinkers from destroying their liver? Then go on to the blacks who get diabetes more than you. Where will it stop until you've destroyed everything you don't agree with?

I will infer from your answer that you would not play Russian Roulette.

Meaning when you said it is okay to smoke cigarettes and shorten your life because "when it is your time to die you will die" you weren't being honest. Otherwise, you would have no problem using the same justification to play Russian Roulette. If today is not your day to die then no amount of Russian Roulette is going to change that.

Or are you going to try and tell me the more immediate nature of Russian Roulette makes a difference?

I think we should make hypersensitive people have their separate areas to keep them from mixing with others.

They'd probably kick me out of that one, too. So much for the presumption of innocence.

Couple of people around here would do well to review Coffin v. United States.

You have got to be kidding me. Are you really so hypersensitive? Christ, the only recommendation I have for you is to never go out.

Jeez.

Yes I understand that you smokers don't have a sense of smell or taste. But, yes I can smell your stink from across the room. And I see you have the typical smoker's attitude ... "so what if I stink, deal with it".

Meaning when you said it is okay to smoke cigarettes and shorten your life because "when it is your time to die you will die" you weren't being honest. Otherwise, you would have no problem using the same justification to play Russian Roulette. If today is not your day to die then no amount of Russian Roulette is going to change that.

Or are you going to try and tell me the more immediate nature of Russian Roulette makes a difference?

I'll make you a deal. In 10-20 years when I post I have cancer, you may say "I told you so". In the meantime, if you get hit by a random bus, I'll say the same. Mmmmkay??

Couldn't this logic be applied to driving a car (lots of fatal accidents every year), eating bacon (heart attacks abound) , drinking alcohol (numerous bad consequenses), and countless other things?

Should anyone partaking in these things, knowing that they might eventually affect their health, be fully willing to play Russian Roulette?

Couldn't this logic be applied to driving a car (lots of fatal accidents every year), eating bacon (heart attacks abound) , drinking alcohol (numerous bad consequenses), and countless other things?

yes

read the sig he he

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

Smokers are more fun as a rule. Smokers have oral fixations, which makes them great in bed. Nicotine will give your brain a boost. And it is a social activity in a world that is increasingly non-social: Smokers can bond in a way with strangers that non-smokers cannot. No, there is no way a non-smoker can understand that.

Yes, it's highly addictive, but I think ironically this current Nazi culture against smokers makes it harder to quit. When you're in the third day of withdrawls, and you go from being curled up in the fetal position in bed to suddenly wanting to break someone's neck because they looked at you funny, you do tend to think ... Why am I going through this, just so I can be one of those judgmental ex-smoking or non-smoking azzholes?

I do enjoy it. I would quit if I knew I would never want one again (which I know isn't true from others who have quit for years) -- so, yeah, I'd press the button. Even though I enjoy it, I'll readily admit it's a stupid habit, and it's the addiction that keeps me going.

TimC's description of a nic fit is pretty solid.

I have other vices as well. Most smokers do. That's why they're more fun as a rule.

Tobacco companies are evil. But understand their point about the health risks: You never see a stat like "1 in 4 smokers will die of lung cancer." Because it doesn't exist. What does exist is a higher probability compared to non-smokers. So, for instance, if smoking makes you "50 percent more likely to die of lung cancer" that doesn't mean half of the smokers die of lung cancer. That means, if in the general population, 10 of every 100 people die of lung cancer, then 15 of every 100 smokers will die of lung cancer. Absolutely an increased risk, but far from an automatic death sentence.

I don't care about the cost to our nation's health. You really think the insurance companies will give you that money back if smoking were wiped off the face of the earth? I care much more about the cost to our nation by the stupid and judgmental. I'd rather our society be exposed to second-hand smoke than blind conformity or ignorance. Ban Paris Hilton, I say. Cancel all reality TV. Don't let Adam Sandler make another movie. Then come talk to me about the evils of second-hand smoke on our society.

Should anyone partaking in these things, knowing that they might eventually affect their health, be fully willing to play Russian Roulette?

The simple fact that you drive a car, eat bacon or drink alcohol (or countless other things) is not a guarantee that you will come to harm. When you light up there is an absolute guarantee that you are inhaling poison and an absolute guarantee that you are doing physical harm to your body.

The simple fact that you drive a car... is not a guarantee that you will come to harm.

Ask the ozone what it thinks. Inherent to turning an ignition is damage to the environment. Probably significantly more than any cigarette ever could dream of being.

And it is a social activity in a world that is increasingly non-social: Smokers can bond in a way with strangers that non-smokers cannot. No, there is no way a non-smoker can understand that.

That is true though.. here at work if you want something done or want the inside scoop on something you go outside to the smoking circle.

Non-smokers are left out of stuff. most of our management around here smokes and the workers that smoke benefit from their time with them out side. A guy in our department got promoted over me. We both have excellent records and reviews and I miss less work than he does, same college and same education plus skill level. But my manager felt that he knows him better because of the smoking circle. I didn't raise a fuss about it because he doesn't know me as well as the other guy because I don't go outside with him 10 times a day and talk about normal BS.

The simple fact that you drive a car, eat bacon or drink alcohol (or countless other things) is not a guarantee that you will come to harm. When you light up there is an absolute guarantee that you are inhaling poison and an absolute guarantee that you are doing physical harm to your body.

I think you are overstating that. If someone were to eat bad food on a regular basis, drink regularly, or drive a lot more than the average person, the chance of coming to harm from that increases greatly. It just hasn't been measured and studied ad nauseum to the point smoking has.

As I stated earlier in the thread...I smoke, albeit not regularly. I seriously doublt my health will be adversely affected by it in the long run.

People do all kinds of things every day that can adversely affect their health. We just know more about the effects of smoking.

Inherent to turning an ignition is damage to the environment. Probably significantly more than any cigarette ever could dream of being.

You are probably correct, unfortunately I have to work for a living. That means I have to drive to work or I can't feed my family. I would ride DART if it were an option, but it's not and believe you me I checked when the price of a gallon of gas topped $3. Now I'm sure you are going to recommend that I buy a car that is more pollution friendly ... and unfortuantely it's not in my budget either. But if you are willing to buy me a more environmental friendly care I'd be willing to drive it.

I think you are overstating that. If someone were to eat bad food on a regular basis, drink regularly, or drive a lot more than the average person, the chance of coming to harm from that increases greatly. It just hasn't been measured and studied ad nauseum to the point smoking has.

As I stated earlier in the thread...I smoke, albeit not regularly. I seriously doublt my health will be adversely affected by it in the long run.

People do all kinds of things every day that can adversely affect their health. We just know more about the effects of smoking.

Tobacco = poison

Food NOT = poison

If you had a magic button, would you give up drinking purified water? Even though it makes you look really cool, like the Fonz? Even as cool as the early Fonz, before Richie talked him into taking off his leather jacket???

You are probably correct, unfortunately I have to work for a living. That means I have to drive to work or I can't feed my family. I would ride DART if it were an option, but it's not and believe you me I checked when the price of a gallon of gas topped $3. Now I'm sure you are going to recommend that I buy a car that is more pollution friendly ... and unfortuantely it's not in my budget either. But if you are willing to buy me a more environmental friendly care I'd be willing to drive it.

No, I'm just saying that the greater good would be better served by making polulution friendly vehicles less of a strain on your budget. I love DART and ride the train probably around 40% of the time but I understand that it isn't an option.

I've changed my opinion on smoking a lot since we had the baby. When the City of Dallas banned smoking I was pretty put out. I've now seen that it hasn't hurt my favorite bars I'm glad Dallas made the change. If the Applebees in Mesquite and Dallas are equal in distance, I'd prefer my daughter eat lunch with me in the one that has no smoking instead of a smoking section. There are compelling reasons to get people to try and stop smoking. Cigaretts.

The argument i don't buy is what my smoking costs you. I pay higher life insurance. I pay for my own health and disability insurance. If my smoking were such a burden on my health insurance, why isn't nicorette and wlebutrol or whatever covered? If taking care of sick smokers was so expensive why doesn't United Health cover smoking cessation medication?

The argument i don't buy is what my smoking costs you. I pay higher life insurance. I pay for my own health and disability insurance. If my smoking were such a burden on my health insurance, why isn't nicorette and wlebutrol or whatever covered? If taking care of sick smokers was so expensive why doesn't United Health cover smoking cessation medication?

The dirty little secret is that the tax on cigarettes, plus the taxes on the cigarette companies, far outweigh the costs to the nation of dealing with smoking illness.

When you light up there is an absolute guarantee that you are inhaling poison and an absolute guarantee that you are doing physical harm to your body.

I know smokers who never get sick...myself included. I guarantee you I'm healthier than 99% of non-smokers out there. I've missed less than 5 days sick in the past 20 years.

My Grandfather lived well into his late 90s smoking packs of non-filter Camels everyday and was never sick until going to see a doc about his appendix. I only smoke about a half pack everyday though, so I should really increase that and break the filter off.

Edit: Now that I think about it...I'd like to thank GandS for giving me reason to smoke even more. :D:D

Edited by TimC