[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts IDP

Defensive Ends

Robert Mathis becomes the starter opposite Dwight Freeney. I'm not sure how well this is going to work, as the Colts will have the lightest ends in the league. But Mathis deserves the opportunity. He just makes plays when he's on the field. Both are worthy of being drafted. Mathis is probably the better value, as he will come cheaper. And Dwight just doesn't seem to accumulate tackles. But it is a contract year for him. No more special teams tackles to boost Mathis' stats though. Raheem Brock will probably still play some DE, although he has moved to DT. Josh Thomas and Jonathan Welsh are back-ups.

Defensive Tackle

Montae Reagor keeps his starting spot from last year. Raheem Brock moves from starting end to starting tackle. Not a major move, as he would slide in to play tackle on passing downs when the Colts brought in Mathis. Corey Simon is a VERY expensive back-up. He is also nursing a knee injury at this time that may require minor surgery. Darrell Reid and Sweet Pea Burns are back-ups.

Linebackers

Starters are Gilbert Gardner (SLB), Gary Brackett (MLB), and Cato June (WLB). These jobs are pretty safe. Gardner has been a bit injury prone his first few years, but follows in the Colts mode of grooming linebackers to take over when one leaves via free agency. Gardner has shown flashes of being very good in coverage. He was the back-up on the weak side last year. June is probably the best linebacker to get for IDP, but Brackett is a good IDP linebacker as well. The Colts rarely blitz their linebackers, so sacks are few and far between. Gardner's back-up is Keith O'neill and rookie Freddy Keiaho. Brackett's back-up is Rob Morris. June's back-up is second year man Tyjuan Hagler. Hagler spent all of last year out with a sports hernia.

Cornerbacks

What was once a very thin postition for the Colts now has a lot of options. Unfortunately, none of them have really stood out. Nick Harper is pretty much guaranteed of retaining his starting spot, although he has been grumbling about his contract. Currently Jason David (who I might add has added some muscle in the off-season) is the other starter. Last years first round pick Marlin Jackson is pushing him. Jackson looked pretty lousy in the first pre-season game against St. Louis, drawing a pass intereference penalty, and missing a couple tackles. David did not play due to a minor injury. whoever loses that battle will be the nickel back. Kelvin Hayden, Von Hutchins, and rookie T.J. Rushing should all see some playing time. Rushing is currently nursing a foot injury.

Safeties

The best IDP option, IMO, is Bob Sanders. The guy is just fearless. He is not disciplined in coverage (he's always quick to come up on play action), but is improving. He is just a tackling machine. He is better suited to play the strong safety spot, but since Mike Doss is even worse in coverage than Sanders, Bob gets to play free safety. I was really hoping the Colts would move Marlin Jackson to free safety, and Sanders to strong safety, putting Mike Doss on the bench. He really can't cover anyone. And he's always hurt. Back-ups are Matt Giordano at free safety and Dexter Reid at strong safety. Needless to say, if Doss or Sanders go down, the Colts are in trouble. Why they traded Gerome Sapp to Baltimore for next to nothing is beyond me.

Edited by CaptainHook

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linebackers

June gets all the stats in this system.

Cap'n awesome insight all over this thread. This is the only thing I slightly disagree on. I believe like you said that Gardner will be more of a coverage LB so I don't see him stealing too many tackles from Brackett who had 127 tackles last year 92 solo. I think he could do even better this year with really his 2nd year with the starting MLB job. June shined last year and gets most of the plays, but IMO Brackett is very solid this year to get over 130 tackles.

Yes, but he doesn't get as many picks. Last year June had 5. Brackett had 3. And June scored two TD's. Brackett had zero.

And you have to remember, Cato missed three games. Brackett played all 16.

I understand your point, but a novice IDPer would read "June gets all the stats in this system" and think Brackett wasn't a good IDP LB option. Of course, that's not the case.

I understand your point, but a novice IDPer would read "June gets all the stats in this system" and think Brackett wasn't a good IDP LB option. Of course, that's not the case.

Your are correct. I meant that June is the best IDP option of the three. I worded it incorrectly. I will edit.

Edited by CaptainHook

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that I have not been able to keep this up to date. I am in the process of moving, and have limited internet access for a while.

I would like to make mention of one guy who has really impressed in the pre-season. Safety Antoine Bethea. Write it down. The rookie shows some promise. I would not be surprised to see him getting some serious playing time later in the season. Sanders and Doss have had problems staying healthy. Bethea will get in there, and when he does, I'm not sure Doss will have a staring job to return to.

Sorry that I have not been able to keep this up to date. I am in the process of moving, and have limited internet access for a while.

I would like to make mention of one guy who has really impressed in the pre-season. Safety Antoine Bethea. Write it down. The rookie shows some promise. I would not be surprised to see him getting some serious playing time later in the season. Sanders and Doss have had problems staying healthy. Bethea will get in there, and when he does, I'm not sure Doss will have a staring job to return to.

was just gonna ask you about bethea when i started reading this, took him as my last pick in a rookie draft

Word is that Bethea and Doss have been splitting time with the #1 Defense already . . .

Bethea to start week 1 at Safety

colts notebook

Rookie Bethea likely to start at safety spot

By Mike Chappell

mike.chappell@indystar.com

Antoine Bethea probably will start at safety tonight when the Indianapolis Colts open the season against the New York Giants in Giants Stadium. He'll one-up a few of his more distinguished defensive teammates.

End Dwight Freeney, safety Bob Sanders and linebacker Cato June have appeared in the Pro Bowl, but none started on opening day as a rookie.

In fact, Bethea will be just the fourth defensive rookie since 2000 to earn an opening-day start for the Colts. He joins safety Mike Doss (2003), whose lingering calf injury during preseason opened the door for Bethea to make his move up the depth chart, tackle Larry Tripplett (2002) and safety Idrees Bashir (2001).

"First time on national TV, a really big stage. . . . I'm just ready to go out there and do what I've been doing all week in practice,'' said Bethea, a sixth-round round draft pick.

He conceded he'll likely be nervous prior to kickoff, but added, "once that whistle blows and the ball's snapped, I've got to get all of the nerves and jitters out of my system.''

Coach Tony Dungy has no reservations starting a rookie in such a high-profile game; in any game for that matter.

"It's not something we really think about,'' he said. "(Running back) Joseph Addai will play a lot. They'll do fine.''

Medical update

Defensive tackle Corey Simon (knee) officially has been ruled out of tonight's game and did not accompany the team. Downgraded from questionable to doubtful are tight end Ben Hartsock (hamstring), linebacker Freddie Keiaho (knee) and guard Ryan Lilja (knee).

Wide receiver Brandon Stokley (ankle) did not participate in Saturday morning's short workout and remains a game-time decision.

Giant(s) 'reunion'

Freeney was born in Hartford, Conn., and grew up a die-hard Giants fan.

"I watched L.T.,'' he said of Lawrence Taylor, the Giants' Hall of Fame linebacker. "When I was younger, I watched (Michael) Strahan and he's still there. For me to go to Giants Stadium, it's like a second home.

"Other than being (in Indy), it's where I grew up. That's who I used to watch.''

Told he might agitate Strahan by telling him he grew up watching Strahan play, Freeney smiled.

"Yeah, I already hit him up,'' he said. "Me and him are friends now. I'm like, 'You were a great player back then.' You throw things, little curveballs at him. But he knows."

Freeney is the Colts' career sack leader with 51. Strahan has 1291/2 sacks, the most among active players and No. 9 on the NFL's all-time list.

Call Star reporter Mike Chappell at (317) 444-6830.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, got my internet back up and running. I will be able to keep this updated better.

Sanders missed the game Sunday with a mystery knee injury. Nobody knows what the injury actually is.

Doss played a hell of a game. 9 tackles (7 solo) and an INT. He looked good.

Bethea continues to impress as well. 12 tackles (8 solo) and a very nice play on a ball that he could have picked off.

It will be interesting to see what the Colts will do when Sanders returns. Not sure who will start next to him. Bob will be listed as questionable on the injury report Wednesday heading into Week 4.

Freeney has a strained butt muscle. He didn't practice all week, but played against the Jags. He is not having a great statistical year, but a lot of that is because he is just not healthy yet.

Corey Simon looks like he might be out until after the bye.

Nick Harper strained his groin against Jax. Marlin Jackson replaced him as a starter and rookie Tim Jennings was the nickel corner. Harper will be questionable going into Week 4.

Week 4

Bob Sanders was ruled out Thursday. So was Corey Simon.

Bethea and Doss will start at the safety spots.

Nick Harper is questionable with a groin/ankle. Marlin Jackson practiced without contact. He has to pass a neuropsych test since he had a concussion.

Edited by CaptainHook

Looks like Bob Sanders will be OUT until after the bye week. Corey Simon too.

The Indianapolis Colts' defense will be without safety Bob Sanders for at least one more game, and perhaps without tackle Corey Simon for longer.

Team president Bill Polian said Monday that Sanders, the team's Pro Bowl safety, recently underwent arthroscopic knee surgery that forced him to miss the past two games and will keep him out of Sunday's game in the RCA Dome with Tennessee.

"Bob is on schedule,'' Polian said. "We're anticipating (his return to the lineup) probably after the bye week.''

The Colts are off Oct. 15, then host Washington on Oct. 22.

The outlook for Simon isn't as clear. He hasn't practiced since undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in August.

"Corey? We just don't know,'' Polian said. "We keep running tests and we simply don't have any answers. It's frustrating.''

link

I picked up Doss to cover while Sanders is out but I thought I heard that Doss also may be injured. Is that accurate? and if so who would takes Doss's place? I have to figure Tenn will be throwing a ton while playing catch up so any starting DB for Indy should do well this week. I just want to make sure I'm starting the right guy. Thanks in advance.

I picked up Doss to cover while Sanders is out but I thought I heard that Doss also may be injured. Is that accurate? and if so who would takes Doss's place? I have to figure Tenn will be throwing a ton while playing catch up so any starting DB for Indy should do well this week. I just want to make sure I'm starting the right guy. Thanks in advance.

One of the starters should be the rookie Bethea.