[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Court date tomorrow

KevinL

At this time tomorrow I will be in front of a magistrate.

I am divorced, have 3 kids from my 1st marriage. I am remarried, my new wife has 3 also (think Brady Bunch). Plus we have a 5 month old baby together.

My kids are 9, 8, and 5 and to say they mean the world to me would be an understatement. My ex wife lives about 10 minutes away and we have a great shared parenting plan. I get every other weekend plus 2 school nights per week. This has enabled me to be very involved with their lives, coach them in soccer and basketball, have their friends over for birthday parties and sleepovers, etc.

My ex-wife works in the same town I live in.

Now she is planning to move them about 45 minutes away, to a town where her (drug using) son from her 1st marriage and her (alcoholic) brother live, and where she grew up.

She doesn't have a job there and will be driving back here to work. She doesn't have a home there (yet, closing in mid september) so the 1st step in the renewed custody battle is to prevent her from removing the kids from the school district they are currently in. (The one advantage she has is that the shared parenting plan lists her as the residential parent for school purposes).

Anyhow there's lots more details that I don't have time to get into, but as you can imagine, just the thought of them moving is tearing me up. I know it's not far but I currently have them every 2 or 3 days, and she has stated she does not intend to allow me to have them weeknights during the school year after she moves. (That's a point for me, that she is openly intending to not comply with the court ordered visitation).

Hopefully the magistrate / judge will look at this clearly because I feel the evidence is strongly on my side. I have had my time with the kids consistently over 5+ years and am very involved in their lives and activities.

Anyhow, if you guys (and gals) could say a prayer for what's best for Luke, Brooke, and Rachel, I would appreciate it more than you could possibly imagine.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on you, Kev. The world needs more committed dads. :D

Why is she moving? Sounds like the arrangement is pretty near to ideal, given the divorce. Is the new place more affordable? Since she's bought a house there, sounds like it's going to be tough to come to a compromise about the weeknight visits. That's a lot of time on the road for your kids on school nights. :D

Good on you, Kev. The world needs more committed dads. :D

Why is she moving? Sounds like the arrangement is pretty near to ideal, given the divorce. Is the new place more affordable? Since she's bought a house there, sounds like it's going to be tough to come to a compromise about the weeknight visits. That's a lot of time on the road for your kids on school nights. :D

In my opinion, to spite me. She's a very bitter person (her pastor has said she's the most bitter person he's ever met).

It is almost ideal as is. Hopefully that can be made apparent and the fact that she is disrupting a good situation, with no compelling reason, will be a strike against her.

Good vibes your way. Is it possible to do a week on week off type of schedule as a comprmise that way you have them for longer periods of time and still get to be involved with there schoolwork and other activities? I know the whole purpose is for them not to move, but......

Good vibes your way. Is it possible to do a week on week off type of schedule as a comprmise that way you have them for longer periods of time and still get to be involved with there schoolwork and other activities? I know the whole purpose is for them not to move, but......

Not if she moves that far away and I need to drive 45 minutes each way twice a day to get them to/from school.

Good luck Kevin, but in all honesty I would consider yourself lucky it's not worse. My Brother-In-Law had a similar deal worked out with his ex wife when she married a guy in the Navy & was set to move to England. Luckily the guy was close to the end of his tour there & was relocated to California. Not much better, but at least it's within the country. Now he only gets to see his daughter a few months during the Summer and every other holiday. They fought it in court, but since the Mother had primary custody there was nothing they could do.