[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Fresh" Lobster

Gonkis

My neighbor had live lobster, dungeness crab, and clams flown in from Maine. (Actually as a gift). They arrived yesterday morning/afternoon sometime. He got home from work at 6pm and removed them from the styrofoam and packaging and put them in plastic bags in the fridge.

A. They are not alive now, but were when first opened.

B. They have been kept cool, but not frozen.

We're eating them tonight, but...

1. Will they be OK to eat? How will I know?

Any other tips?

TIA

get them on ice! now! they do not need to be frozen, just kept very cold.

how do they smell.... salty, but fresh is fine....

seafood is fine for about 4-7 days if propperly handled. my biggest worry is how high of a temp and how long between arrival and 6p (when he got home)...... you want food held at 39 degrees or below.

Thanks, Bier. They're now on ice in the fridge. It's the overflow fridge in the garage (4 kids... I need a walk in cooler). That fridge will freeze a bottle of water, so it's good and cold.

He said they were cold, but not alive when he got home.

I'll smell them when I get home. :crossesfingers:

Should I yank the legs off the Dungeness before I cook them or after?

Thanks, Bier. They're now on ice in the fridge. It's the overflow fridge in the garage (4 kids... I need a walk in cooler). That fridge will freeze a bottle of water, so it's good and cold.

He said they were cold, but not alive when he got home.

I'll smell them when I get home. :crossesfingers:

Should I yank the legs off the Dungeness before I cook them or after?

weel,did you puke nonstop for last couple days or did everything turn out for the best? :D

Another added plus about icing fresh lobsters first is that they don't flip and splash when they go in the pot. The cold puts them asleep and slows them down. Nothing worse than a fresh fiesty one going in boiling water. I learned my lesson the hard way once! :D

My 2 and 4 year old love seafood. They couldn't get enough of the lobster tail, but I couldn't bring myself to let them see me put the bastard in the water.