[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Merriman

hooknladder

o.k. Keg. I guess you got it all figured out. Six tackles per game, (very attainable), times 16 games = 96 tackles. Throw in turn-overs, sacks, and scores, (plus FF,PD)...I say top-10.

so now you are basically saying merriman will approach 100 solo tackles?

I am willing to put $20 saying he isnt gonna come close....you care to come up with a number you are willing to stake $20 on? No top 10 or 20 just based on solo tackles

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o.k. Keg. I guess you got it all figured out. Six tackles per game, (very attainable), times 16 games = 96 tackles. Throw in turn-overs, sacks, and scores, (plus FF,PD)...I say top-10.

I can't think of another OLB that averaged 6 tackles last year...

so now you are basically saying merriman will approach 100 solo tackles?

I am willing to put $20 saying he isnt gonna come close....you care to come up with a number you are willing to stake $20 on? No top 10 or 20 just based on solo tackles

Why would you only want to base it on solo tackles? The most attractive thing about Merriman is his ability to make big plays. Personally I agree he probably won't make top 10 even though I think it is possible, but I do believe he deserves to be in the top 20. Also, before you make these types of claims, you should realize that every IDP league doesn't score like Fusion & Dynasty Wars. There are many out there that put less emphasis on the tackle & more on the big plays such as sacks & turnovers. :D

The thing about Merriman is he'll put up top 10 points, but you have to exploit the matchups to get it out of him. He's not going to produce that every week, but if you know your IDP stuff then he can be worthy of starting spot on your roster & can even be played over many regular starters.

Edited by rajncajn

Why would you only want to base it on solo tackles? The most attractive thing about Merriman is his ability to make big plays. Personally I agree he probably won't make top 10 even though I think it is possible, but I do believe he deserves to be in the top 20. Also, before you make these types of claims, you should realize that every IDP league doesn't score like Fusion & Dynasty Wars. There are many out there that put less emphasis on the tackle & more on the big plays such as sacks & turnovers. :D

The thing about Merriman is he'll put up top 10 points, but you have to exploit the matchups to get it out of him. He's not going to produce that every week, but if you know your IDP stuff then he can be worthy of starting spot on your roster & can even be played over many regular starters.

rajn,

I am not gonna dispute that in certain scoring systems merriman can be top 10, but he is saying that he will be top 10 with an excess of 80 tackles so that is why i drew the line at that point

rajn,

I am not gonna dispute that in certain scoring systems merriman can be top 10, but he is saying that he will be top 10 with an excess of 80 tackles so that is why i drew the line at that point

Wrong. I never said based on solo's. I gave you the DEF. scoring in my league. If he's anywhere NEAR 80 tackles, with the other scoring, he's top 10.(in my league).

you know what this would be great for others to chime in with their predictions:

I will throw out a stat line for everyone to work off of:

80 Tackles

30 Assists

16 Sacks

4 Forced Fumbles

1 Fumble Recovery

2 Passes Defended

so that is 110 total tackles and 16 sacks with a couple of dislodged balls and a couple batted passes for good measure

so will Merriman put up better or worse(BoW) stats?

If you say better where do you increase them?

If you say worse where do you decrease them?

I really don't know why I should reply to you. You are always oppositional, so this is an exercise in futility...but here goes...-

I would say a few more tackles and a couple less sacks. he will probably have a couple more FR and maybe a couple int's. He may even score. In my league tackles=1, FR=4,INT=4,FF=2,PD=2,safety=10,INT or FR for TD=12, first 2 sacks =2 if you get 3 or more, then all the sacks for that game become 3. I believe in our system, which is very old and pretty standard, if he stays healthy, he'll be top 10 or close...certainly top 50. :D

i am not always oppositional but I will call out something if i dont agree with it and ask that person to prove what they are saying....

and if you really think merriman will exceed 80 tackles you are crazy

Wrong. I never said based on solo's. I gave you the DEF. scoring in my league. If he's anywhere NEAR 80 tackles, with the other scoring, he's top 10.(in my league).

i conceeded that based on scoring system that Merriman could be top 10, but when i threw out a baseline that i quoted above you then said a FEW MORE TACKLES(then 80), I then said you are crazy if you think he will get 80+ tackles, you then said 6/game was very attainable(96 total) and used that to then say TOP 10...you went from a few more then 80 tackles to 96 being very attainable...with that i said I was willing to lay $20 he wasnt gonna accumulate the solo tackles you are saying that he will, so you either believe he will or wont produce tackles like you said, WHICH IS IT?

i conceeded that based on scoring system that Merriman could be top 10, but when i threw out a baseline that i quoted above you then said a FEW MORE TACKLES(then 80), I then said you are crazy if you think he will get 80+ tackles, you then said 6/game was very attainable(96 total) and used that to then say TOP 10...you went from a few more then 80 tackles to 96 being very attainable...with that i said I was willing to lay $20 he wasnt gonna accumulate the solo tackles you are saying that he will, so you either believe he will or wont produce tackles like you said, WHICH IS IT?

I truly do not know the exact number of tackles he will get. Do you? -I was merely stating that the TOTAL number of fantasy football points he gets this year likely puts him in the top 10. I'm not going to put any scratch on Merriman...I have enough riding on him already.

I truly do not know the exact number of tackles he will get. Do you? -I was merely stating that the TOTAL number of fantasy football points he gets this year likely puts him in the top 10. I'm not going to put any scratch on Merriman...I have enough riding on him already.

no i dont but i dont project him to get over 80 like you said...if you dont want to put the scratch up thats fine, just let this thread die and if you are right i will bump it next yr and :D to you

Merriman had a career game vs one of the worst OL in the NFL. Lets see how this plays out over the next few weeks, before we starting bringing up top 10 at the LB position.

Sure if you only score pts based on sacks, he will be in the top 10, but standard scoring where tackles are worth 2 or even 1 pt, I doubt he makes the top 30.

Last year Merriman had 41 solo tackles, 13 assists, and 10 sacks. 8 DL outscored him based on any category you want to score, as at least 8 had more sacks, tackles and assists than Merriman in 2005.

If Merriman gets 50 solo tackles at 1 a piece and 20 assists at .5 each, plus 15 sackes at 3 pts each he will total 105 pts. Those stats are 20 % more tackles 33% more sacks and 40% more assists than as a year ago. Which is a pretty significant jump from year 1 to year 2.

There will be over 15 LBs who have 90 solo tackles or more, not counting assists, sacks, etc. And at least 10 more who have a combo of either 80+ tackles /25+ assists, and still that is not couting any sacks. So in this scoring Merriman is probably outside the top 30.

You up those numbers to 2 pts per tackle, and 1 per assist, Merriman scores 165 and is even further down the rank of LBs. Every LB who has 83 tackles or more outscores Merriman, and last year that was 24, and that is not counting assists. YOu add every LB that scores 70 tackles, which is 140 pts, and 25+ assists, and Merriman is outside the top 40. And this is not counting sacks for these players.

In Fusion scoring, 71 LBs outscored Merriman. 18 DL who score much less than LB's also outscored Merriman

I project Merriman will have 50 solo, 20 assists, and 15 sacks this yr. Which is 105 pts at 1 pt per tackle, .05 per assist, and 3 per sack

Those same stats at 2 pts per tackle, 1 per assist, and 3 per sack = 165 pts. In Fusion scoring last year, that puts him around the 46th LB. Throw in the fact Rookies Sims, Ryans, Hawk, and Thomas Howard I project to outperform Merriman, put him just outside my top 50.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

if nobody else mentioned it- Merriman is the fantasy equivilent of the late Derrick Thomas.

You are going to get a lot of 1-0-0 lines, and then the random 4-0-2 games.

Depends on your scoring an wether or not you can take the all or nothing stuff on how valuable he'll be from a fantasy standpoint.

From an NFL standpoint he's a beast and he's going to disrupt things and force double/triple teams, etc. every week so he's earning his money- but IDP fantasy impact is going to be major peaks and valley's.

Just look at last year for example in my local-

I pt. solo, half pt. assist, 4 pt.s sack:

Weekly scoring:

0-1-2-1-5.5-1.5-9-12.5-12-12-1-5-2.5-13.5-5-6

Nice little run there in the middle but the inconsisitency that is a natural by product of a "rush LB" is evident....

Norton has him at #5 this week, but it is the Titans. This could be another good week for him. I'll start him this week.

Let's see how it plays out.

Sgt Ryan is right of course, he will be inconsistent, but my gut tells me he will be better than last year especially with Foley out.

"Last year Merriman had 41 solo tackles, 13 assists, and 10 sacks. 8 DL outscored him based on any category you want to score, as at least 8 had more sacks, tackles and assists than Merriman in 2005."

That is true, but he started 10 games. He also worked out hard this off-season and is better. He's 270+ now. If they block him wth RB's they'll need an ambulance at the ready.

He's bigger than Derrick Thomas.

"LB Shawne Merriman has gone from being a freak to a monster. He has added 10 pounds while trimming down and appears as fast as ever. He has worked this offseason with a boxing instructor to improve both his hands and his endurance. He has spent many hours in the film room (at the team's complex and at his home) watching for ways he can improve in coverage. Merriman appears poised to improve on his stellar rookie season. "

1 assist, and 1 INT. Most leagues give 3 pts per INT, and either .5 or 1 pt per assist. Today he managed at most 4 pts. This is why he isnt in my top 50. He is so inconsistent and everyone, well almost everyone had him as a best bet today vs the Titans, but I didnt even give him second thought in my top 25 plays of the week for the LB position.

1 assist, and 1 INT. Most leagues give 3 pts per INT, and either .5 or 1 pt per assist. Today he managed at most 4 pts. This is why he isnt in my top 50. He is so inconsistent and everyone, well almost everyone had him as a best bet today vs the Titans, but I didnt even give him second thought in my top 25 plays of the week for the LB position.

Duly noted.

6 points as I got 2 for PD'd, but Brooking had 16, Fletcher 17 and J Peterson 16.5 You are right but I will roll the dice with him again sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

1 solo tackle today, and then 1 sack, which they also count as a solo tackle. So in all he had 2 tackles, one being on the QB behind the line of scrimmage. Week 1 was the exception for this player, not the rule.

I stand corrected. You were right. I thought Merriman's big play potential might make up for a lack of tackles. I actually started D. Ryans in his place today. Obviously you felt the need to call me out @ 1:00 a.m. to make your point , and dredge up my post to prove your point. I've made alot of projections...just like you and we've both been right and wrong... -I respect you Sgt., and your opinion, and I'll spare you of digging up your every forecast...I just wish you'd give me that same latitude.

I stand corrected. You were right. I thought Merriman's big play potential might make up for a lack of tackles. I actually started D. Ryans in his place today. Obviously you felt the need to call me out @ 1:00 a.m. to make your point , and dredge up my post to prove your point. I've made alot of projections...just like you and we've both been right and wrong... -I respect you Sgt., and your opinion, and I'll spare you of digging up your every forecast...I just wish you'd give me that same latitude.

NO no no no, I wasnt singling anyone out here, as many had the same opinion as you after that 1 week. By no means am I talking to anyone specifically. So dont take this personal. Because It definately was not meant to be. I just play in leagues with many here who are trying to sell Merriman right now. And I want them to see this.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

NO no no no, I wasnt singling anyone out here, as many had the same opinion as you after that 1 week. By no means am I talking to anyone specifically. So dont take this personal. Because It definately was not meant to be. I just play in leagues with many here who are trying to sell Merriman right now. And I want them to see this.

I drank about 20 beers last night and I guess I was feeling a little sensitive. I'm starting to get the picture Merriman is'nt gonna have the number of tackles I had hoped. :D