[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1997 Barolo (infanticide or drink now?)

wiegie

Would it be a waste to drink a '97 Barolo sometime in the near future? (I'm talking about Barolo's that got 90+ ratings by Wine Spectator). Thoughts?

Absolutely not. I've had a bunch so far and they're drinking very well already. To be honest, I think that vintage got incorrectly labeled "vintage of the century" or whatever and should have been "great unpaid friendty wines that should be killer for the next ten years or so." I really don't think they'll end up panning out to be classics but they're sure good now.

Oh hell, I misread your title and was referring to 97 Brunello. Sorry about that. Well, anyone out there sitting on those knows how I feel, I guess (for what that's worth).

Actually, I think the same sort of applies to the Barolos only they weren't quite as lauded as the Brunellos so it shouldn't come as a surprise. Barolos had a great run from 97-2000, but 97 and 99 were more regarded as better for early consumption while 98 and 2000 are supposed to be classic age worth vintages.

I mean, it is almost 10 years old so it's maybe adolescenticide anyway.

You should be good to go.

Hell no. This is why I'll always buy a minimum of 2 bottles of a particular wine.

One to enjoy right away and the other to sit.

Actually, I usually by 3 ... one to try now and the other 2 for later (one just doesn't seem to be enough to go around the table and enjoy)

Actually, I usually by 3 ... one to try now and the other 2 for later (one just doesn't seem to be enough to go around the table and enjoy)

We had a party a few weeks ago and I was showing a some people my collection and this guys wife was like, "What a waste of space you have 6 bottles of the same wine." :D

Side note: My collection has dwindled immensely. Too much drinking, not enough buying. :D

We had a party a few weeks ago and I was showing a some people my collection and this guys wife was like, "What a waste of space you have 6 bottles of the same wine." :D

Side note: My collection has dwindled immensely. Too much drinking, not enough buying. :D

I feel your pain ... with all the increases in prices, just can't replace the good stuff! :lol:

Hell no. This is why I'll always buy a minimum of 2 bottles of a particular wine.

One to enjoy right away and the other to sit.

We drank a 97 Barolo during our New Year's dinner a couple years ago and it was already drinking well. I would have expected the bottle to be good for another 5-6 years from that point.

well, I opened up a bottle of 1997 Mauro Molino Barolo Vigna Conca that I picked up in Italy a few years ago for Bier and me to sample last night. It seemed pretty tight to me when I opened it up around 5:00, but by the time we got back around 10:00 it had softened up quite a bit. Bier thought the wine was "smooth" and got chocolate and tobacco up front and then got cherry on the finish. I didn't quite get the chocolate and I think I got some leather up front, but I did get the cherry on the finish. (I will say that I thought the finish, though not short, was shorter than I had expected it to be.) I almost think the wine was better on the nose than in the mouth, but that's not a hugh knock as it did smell great.

(Wine Spectator had given it a 95, which seems somewhat high to me--Luckily there is still about 1/2 a bottle left for me to drink tonight to see if my impressions have changed.)

Perhaps Bier will comment if he gets the chance.