[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Series Cardinals/Tigers

Primetime9287

About 50 times the amount of people who give a chit about the Stanley Cup. And I'm a hockey fan.

Can't really defend that one. But that's mainly because most of mainstream America are a bunch of Rosie O'Donnell that would rather watch a bunch of out of shape cheaters throw a ball around than a real skill/contact sport like hockey.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really defend that one. But that's mainly because most of mainstream America are a bunch of Rosie O'Donnell that would rather watch a bunch of out of shape cheaters throw a ball around than a real skill/contact sport like hockey.

Now you are dissing football. It's about time. I'm sick of everyone sucking off the NFL. :D

The NHL might be more watchable if they didn't completely change the rules every two or three years.

• 2 weeks later...

The NHL might be more watchable if they didn't completely change the rules every two or three years.

:D One major rule change in 50 years. The nerve of them. And FWIW, the rule changes are basically an attempt at pussifying the league so more semi-retarded people will watch the sport because goal scoring is main stream and fighting is barbaric, at least according to the semi-retarded people who imposed the rule changes. With all due respect.

:D One major rule change in 50 years. The nerve of them. And FWIW, the rule changes are basically an attempt at pussifying the league so more semi-retarded people will watch the sport because goal scoring is main stream and fighting is barbaric, at least according to the semi-retarded people who imposed the rule changes. With all due respect.

I thought that they changed the size of the goalie's pads a couple of years ago? :D

Perhaps the constant talk of changing the rules over the past five years had just made it seem that way. Either way, it makes the league look completely clueless.

Agreed 100% that the rule changes pussify league big time... and that's one major reason why I don't bother watching anymore. I can deal with the year-long lockout (as I did with MLB), but I can't deal with OT shootouts, two-line passes, and the resulting 7-5 games. It's like watching the freaking NHL All-Star game every night.

I thought that they changed the size of the goalie's pads a couple of years ago? :D

Perhaps the constant talk of changing the rules over the past five years had just made it seem that way. Either way, it makes the league look completely clueless.

Agreed 100% that the rule changes pussify league big time... and that's one major reason why I don't bother watching anymore. I can deal with the year-long lockout (as I did with MLB), but I can't deal with OT shootouts, two-line passes, and the resulting 7-5 games. It's like watching the freaking NHL All-Star game every night.

To be fair, there were some minor rule changes, like pad size, that were implemented prior to the strike, but the big ones all came at once, and it did pussify the league. It seems that all non-hockey people where b*tching about the game and league accomodated them by changing all the rules. As a life long hockey fan, and player, I just couldn't understand why they'd change the game to accomodate non-fans while telling th purists to go F themselves.

To be fair, there were some minor rule changes, like pad size, that were implemented prior to the strike, but the big ones all came at once, and it did pussify the league. It seems that all non-hockey people where b*tching about the game and league accomodated them by changing all the rules. As a life long hockey fan, and player, I just couldn't understand why they'd change the game to accomodate non-fans while telling th purists to go F themselves.

I completely agree. What the NHL did was the equivalent to MLB allowing players to use aluminum bats.

I didn't start watching hockey until I was in college (when Messier won the cup with the Rangers), but really got into it at that point. It speaks volumes that a casual fan such as myself would drive for three hours to watch Lemieux's comeback in standing-room-only nosebleed seats. I still watch the playoffs, but it's just not the same. The NHL losing their partnership with ESPN also hurt them big-time.

The NHL losing their partnership with ESPN also hurt them big-time.

Very true, on all levels, both for the purists and casual fans. They had a great set of reporters, with Pang, Engblom, Melrose and Thorne. They had a national audience. They were broadcasting in HD which is a tremendous advantage especially for non-hockey fans because it makes the game easier to follow. I commend OLN for taking the NHL last year, and Versus for taking it this year, but it's just not the same.

Oh well, hockey will NEVER be mainstream, but that's fine by me, I actually kind of prefer it that way.

Very true, on all levels, both for the purists and casual fans. They had a great set of reporters, with Pang, Engblom, Melrose and Thorne.

I really miss Barry Melrose (and his mullet). He was a big part of the viewing experience. And Gary Thorne is probably the best play-by-play guy out there.