[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interviewing for a Job, if given a choice,

Controller

Got a call last Thursday that I am one of five candidates chosen to interview for a position I applied for.

Was told that the Exec. Director will conduct one interview each day, Mon. thru Fri of this week.

Decision of who they hire to be made Fri. afternoon or the following Mon. morning.

Question: In this situation, would you want to interview first (Monday), somewhere in the middle, or last (Friday)? Why?

Edited by Controller

Thursday. :D

You definitely don't want to go first. That's a lot of time for people to forget about how awesome you are. And you don't want to go last. You don't want to be the guy that they still have to interview on Friday (when they're itching to get out of the office) when they've already got a favorite in mind from earlier in the week.

I've interviewed dozens of candidates for Dow, the company I work for, and I can't say that order has had any effect.

What is important is to make sure that you give each interviewer as much information as possible. I know it will feel like you're repeating yourself, but you'd be amazed at the different perceptions different interviewers can have after interviewing the same person.

Good luck!

I was the first interviewee they called, so I've already made my choice But I will wait for more input before I reveal what I chose.

BTW, this job is for Controller of the homeowners assocation where I live. The commute would be five minutes, if I walk fast. One minute if I drive. Pay is about $5K more than I make now. But it's a non-profit, therefore no bonuses, no real opportunity for advancement, etc.

Appreciate the input from everyone.

When they called last Thurs. my immediate thought was along the lines of what TimC & Az were thinking: I decided to interview on Monday, make the first impression & let the others be compared to me. We'll see if the strategy worked, I guess, if they make an offer or not. I thought the interview went well -- lasted about 2 hours and consisted 1/2 about my experiences and 1/2 about their present situation & problem areas.

It probably wouldn't have mattered (if one of the candidates stood out as better than the rest) but if it was a close call (two or more candidates seem equally qualified) the "timing" of the interviews might be a factor.

They need a Controller because they are like a "master" association that does the accounting for 19 smaller associations. I think there's a total of about 1900 homes plus a lot of common areas, lagoons, trails, etc.

Edited by Controller

Thursday. :D

You definitely don't want to go first. That's a lot of time for people to forget about how awesome you are. And you don't want to go last. You don't want to be the guy that they still have to interview on Friday (when they're itching to get out of the office) when they've already got a favorite in mind from earlier in the week.

Good logic but I would still lean to Friday. People just tend to be in better moods on Friday cuz, hey, it's Friday. It's not like he's interviewing Friday at 4:59 PM. They are also somewhat 'worn down' from the whole process and so less likely to drill you as much with questions/etc as the week wears on. Heck my last interview before I took my job I have now, I had a job interview on Fri and they were in such a good mood I got invited to the beer bust after we were done. :D The interviewer still keeps in touch to see if I'm avail in fact. See liking beer can have advantages you never imagine....anyway...

Another thing is how well qualified do you feel you are? The more confidence you have in how you'll stack up, the more inclined I would be to go with later in the week. You'll stick out more.

But really in the end I think this is a minor consideration. The one that interviews best is the one that will probably get the job.

First, because of something called the primacy effect. People tend to better remember the first "thing" in a list or process or the like than those that occur afterward.

There is such a thing called the recency effect, which concerns the last "thing." However, I would avoid a Friday interview. People think differently on Friday, less on business, more about the weekend.

I'd definitely stay away from the middle days. People more easily forget things that occur in the middle.

Well, just found out I didn't get the job. :D

If the Exec. Director is telling the truth, I was the "runner up" and will get a call if the person they went with doesn't work out. (They could just be saying this; who knows)

So, I don't know if the order of interviewing really mattered or not, but thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Well, just found out I didn't get the job. :D

If the Exec. Director is telling the truth, I was the "runner up" and will get a call if the person they went with doesn't work out. (They could just be saying this; who knows)

So, I don't know if the order of interviewing really mattered or not, but thanks to everyone who chimed in.

That Sucks... so for our unscientific poll here, Did you ask which day the "winner" of the job interviewed?

That Sucks... so for our unscientific poll here, Did you ask which day the "winner" of the job interviewed?

Unfortunately, no, I forgot to ask.

And thanks, Wiegie, for trying to cheer me up. The company probably does suck ass, but when you're sick of the job you have, everything else looks better, at least for a while.