[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happens "IF" Rutgers beats WVU?

keggerz

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously what happens then :D

The Big East is screwed and some one loss team will play in the Championship game. Yet more derision will be cast at the stupidity that is the BCS.

Perhaps they can play Boise State in a bowl game?

And that is even worse for football in general although probably what the bowl organizers will end up doing. Can't have a couple of no loss teams playing/beating our powerhouses. Although Rutgers still has to get past WVU for that to happen.

If they run the table, I think you have to put them in the BCS championship game. That might not give us the two best teams in the country, but only seems fair. I mean, they are in a BCS conference and they'd be one of only 2 undefeated BCS teams. Of course, they could lay a rather legit claim anyway based on the fact that they beat two teams who were ranked in the top 5 somewhat late in the season. If they didn't it would reveal the whole thing to be even more a sham.

How much more evidence of stupidity do we need to scrap this whole mess?

And that is even worse for football in general although probably what the bowl organizers will end up doing. Can't have a couple of no loss teams playing/beating our powerhouses. Although Rutgers still has to get past WVU for that to happen.

honestly as much as i love FF i really dont follow college football much, but with that said Rutgers did just beat the #3 ranked undefeated team in the rankings....then "IF" they go and beat WVU who just a few weeks ago was also undefeated and ranked #3(i think)...so that means Rutgers IF they go undefeated and beat what was 2 #3 teams they wouldnt be or shouldnt be considered to play in the NC? how many other teams have beaten top 3 or better teams this year?(i seriously dont know)

honestly as much as i love FF i really dont follow college football much, but with that said Rutgers did just beat the #3 ranked undefeated team in the rankings....then "IF" they go and beat WVU who just a few weeks ago was also undefeated and ranked #3(i think)...so that means Rutgers IF they go undefeated and beat what was 2 #3 teams they wouldnt be or shouldnt be considered to play in the NC? how many other teams have beaten top 3 or better teams this year?(i seriously dont know)

In college football, perception is reality. Because of the way the BCS works, the numbers may not stack up for Rutgers to crack the NC game. Especially if they run the table and don't end up ranked in the top 3 of the human polls. I guarantee every member of the BCS committee has got their Rutgers Voodoo Dolls out praying for a WVU victory.

I believe Michigan and OSU are the only other teams able to accomplish this feat. OSU beat Texas and Mich beat ND.

but has anyone else beaten TWO top 3 or better teams?....and yeah i know RU hasnt beaten the 2nd yet but thats why my thread title has a big IF in it

FWIW, it's the Rutgers Strength of Schedule killing them right now. It's currently 62. Only Wake Forest and Boise State have lower ones out of the top 25 teams.

FWIW, it's the Rutgers Strength of Schedule killing them right now. It's currently 62. Only Wake Forest and Boise State have lower ones out of the top 25 teams.

The problem is, IF they go undefeated, they still play in a BCS conference, so how can the BCS possibly justify not giving an undefeated team from ONE OF THEIR CONFERENCES a shot at the NC as long as there are only two of them.

i understand that, and i understand that people say they have played a soft schedule...but evidently that schedule didnt keep them from landing in the top 15 and now they have knocked off the #3 team, an undefeated team too and IF they go and beat WVU on the road they still arent worthy? seems like selective math or whatever to me

nothing will be done, they'll go undefeated like many teams before then, 5 in fact a few years ago, and they won't play in the NC game. They don't play the kind of teams that help them make the case.

and when there were 5 undefeated teams then of course someone gets left out....but if there are only two? and if they dont play the kind of teams then what are louiv and wvu? correct me if i am wrong but those 2 were top 3 ranked teams and aside from those 2 teams they were still ranked in the top 15...their top 15 ranking had nothing to do with games played against Louiv or WVU right?

Edited by keggerz

The problem is, IF they go undefeated, they still play in a BCS conference, so how can the BCS possibly justify not giving an undefeated team from ONE OF THEIR CONFERENCES a shot at the NC as long as there are only two of them.

I'm with you 100%. I think they should boot the Big East out of the BCS. There's really no reason to include them once they lost their top football teams to the ACC. Oh and by the way look how bad those teams are doing in the ACC. Even more proof of how weak the Big East is today.

Edited by Rockerbraves

and when there were 5 undefeated teams then of course someone gets left out....but if there are only two? and if they dont play the kind of teams then what are louiv and wvu? correct me if i am wrong but those 2 were top 3 ranked teams and aside from those 2 teams they were still ranked in the top 15...their top 15 ranking had nothing to do with games played against Louiv or WVU right?

Being undefeated in simply a factor to consider in the BCS process, the polls, the computers still represent who plays. To think that if any D-I program goes undeated and will play in the NC game is very naive. Many programs like Boise St. and possibly this year's Rutgers go undefeated and still don't deserve a shot. Really do you want to see Rutgers-OSU or USC-OSU?

nothing will be done, they'll go undefeated like many teams before then, 5 in fact a few years ago, and they won't play in the NC game. They don't play the kind of teams that help them make the case.

And exactly who, outside of Texas and Michigan, helps OSU make their case? Was it Northern Illinois? Bowling Green? Cincinnati? Mich State? Illinois? Indiana? c'mon the Buckeyes have beat up primarily on pansies all year also.

I'm with you 100%. I think they should boot the Big East out of the BCS. There's really no reason to include them once they lost their top football teams to the ACC. Oh and by the way look how bad those teams are doing in the ACC. Even more proof of how weak the Big East is today.

That's what really needs to be done, but $ will prevent it. The Big East is a solid conference for football but i don't think any of their teams would have a chance at an undefeated season in the Big 4 conferences.

And exactly who, outside of Texas and Michigan, helps OSU make their case? Was it Northern Illinois? Bowling Green? Cincinnati? Mich State? Illinois? Indiana? c'mon the Buckeyes have beat up primarily on pansies all year also.

Last year they finished the season as the 2nd best team in the country and brought back their entire offense, they manhandled ND in the Fiesta and played the defending National Champions in their own stadium and didn't even break a sweat whipping them.

The coaches and the AP , along with the computers give OSU credibilty for this. The fact that they were so good finishing the season last year, and have the nations best D against the points this season is proof enough to 99% of the country that they are unquestioned.

If your telling me that Rutgers could play better then .500 ball in the Big 10 or SEC, i can say it's doubtful

To think that if any D-I program goes undeated and will play in the NC game is very naive. Many programs like Boise St. and possibly this year's Rutgers go undefeated and still don't deserve a shot.

This isn't "any" D-I program this is a D-I program from a BCS conference! Boise State doesn't play in a "power" conference which is why the will never get a legit shot regardless of who they beat. That's why there was talk a few years ago of Boise possibly joining the Big 12.