[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happens "IF" Rutgers beats WVU?

keggerz

This isn't "any" D-I program this is a D-I program from a BCS conference! Boise State doesn't play in a "power" conference which is why the will never get a legit shot regardless of who they beat. That's why there was talk a few years ago of Boise possibly joining the Big 12.

So, you consider the Big East a "power" conference? :D

There is one reason the Big East is in the BCS.................$$$$$ it's that simple. Really, the ACC is also a member and if Duke or Wake went undefeated, your saying they should be in the NC over a 1 loss SEC team?

Boise St. could do very well in the Big East and possible go undefeated any given year in that conference.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year they finished the season as the 2nd best team in the country and brought back their entire offense, they manhandled ND in the Fiesta and played the defending National Champions in their own stadium and didn't even break a sweat whipping them.

The coaches and the AP , along with the computers give OSU credibilty for this. The fact that they were so good finishing the season last year, and have the nations best D against the points this season is proof enough to 99% of the country that they are unquestioned.

If your telling me that Rutgers could play better then .500 ball in the Big 10 or SEC, i can say it's doubtful

STANDINGS

2006-07 Big Ten Overall

Teams W L Pct. W L Pct.

Michigan 6 0 1.000 10 0 1.000

Ohio State 6 0 1.000 10 0 1.000

Wisconsin 6 1 .857 9 1 .900

Penn State 4 3 .571 6 4 .600

Purdue 3 3 .500 6 4 .600

Indiana 3 3 .500 5 5 .500

Iowa 2 4 .333 6 4 .600

Mich State 1 5 .167 4 6 .400

Minnesota 1 5 .167 4 6 .400

Northwstrn 1 5 .167 3 7 .300

Illinois 1 5 .167 2 8 .200

Look at the records in this conference, and this is supposed to be a "powerhouse" and OSU didn't even have to play Wisconsin, the third best team in the conference.

So, you consider the Big East a "power" conference? :D

There is one reason the Big East is in the BCS.................$$$$$ it's that simple. Really, the ACC is also a member and if Duke or Wake went undefeated, your saying they should be in the NC over a 1 loss SEC team?

My point actually isn't whether the Big East is powerful. My point is that the BCS created this monster and now should have to deal with it. If there are only two undefeated teams from their conferences then that's what they end up with and that's who they should have to put in their NC game. For what it's worth, I don't neccesarily want to see OSU/Mich vs. Rutgers for the NC any more than anyone else really, although I've said before that having some new blood would be nice rather than the "usual suspects", but the BCS made their bed and now they should have to lie in it. Although I think this will all be moot after RU plays WVU. Then you can have the Michigan-Florida game that you want on Jan.8 :D

Don't forget though, it's not about whether people "think" Rutgers should be there. Because of the computer portion of the BCS, it's possible that Rutgers gets left out because of the numbers. It doesn't matter if they are a member of a BCS conference. It's just a crappy system.

STANDINGS

2006-07 Big Ten Overall

Teams W L Pct. W L Pct.

Purdue 3 3 .500 6 4 .600

Iowa 2 4 .333 6 4 .600

Look at the records in this conference, and this is supposed to be a "powerhouse" and OSU didn't even have to play Wisconsin, the third best team in the conference.

BTW, records mean nothing. Penn State lost to 3 top five teams and has the #2 SOS in the country. Not a bad win at all if you're Michigan or Ohio State.

My point actually isn't whether the Big East is powerful. My point is that the BCS created this monster and now should have to deal with it. If there are only two undefeated teams from their conferences then that's what they end up with and that's who they should have to put in their NC game. For what it's worth, I don't neccesarily want to see OSU/Mich vs. Rutgers for the NC any more than anyone else really, although I've said before that having some new blood would be nice rather than the "usual suspects", but the BCS made their bed and now they should have to lie in it. Although I think this will all be moot after RU plays WVU. Then you can have the Michigan-Florida game that you want on Jan.8 :D

Muggsy, not sure what side you are on. Are you for or against booting the Big East out of the BCS?

Was the talk about Bosie State joining the Big 12 about the same time BC, Virginia Tech and Miami left the Big East? Those three teams recognized that in order to compete for a NC they needed to play tougher competition on a week to week basis. Is it any coincident that all of a sudden Louisville, West Virginia and now Rutgers are starting to have better seasons win and loss wise now that these 3 teams have left the Big East?

Muggsy, not sure what side you are on. Are you for or against booting the Big East out of the BCS?

I am for booting the BCS and setting up some sort of playoff system where this can be decided on the field like every other sport in the world. Championships should not be decided by computers. Why don't we just break out a PlayStation and have it decided that way?

I'm usually pretty mellow when it comes to "arguing" message board posts but I honestly can't believe the arrogance being shown by a few in this thread. Spewing forth random BS about certain conferences being outclassed and/or not belonging in the BCS is ridiculous. Other than the SEC who is clearly superior with 5 teams in the Top 15, evry other conference has 3-4 that can be considered very good teams. How does that make the Big East an inferior conference? The bottom teams? If you think Pittsburgh or South Florida can't play with Indiana or Purdue you are sadly mistaken.

I watch a lot of college football and trust me, Ohio State is the best team in college football this year. I also don't think Rutgers will win out and finish 12-0, but if they do, there is no way they shouldn't be in the Nat'l Championship game.

I also have a problem with schools (and their fans) preaching that they come from tougher conferences and that is why another BCS school shouldn't get a chance. Then you go and look at the schedules of these schools and see that they only played a handful (if that) of tough games themselves and they are relying simply on the reputation of their conference.

Edited by Muggsy

BTW, records mean nothing. Penn State lost to 3 top five teams and has the #2 SOS in the country. Not a bad win at all if you're Michigan or Ohio State.

What would have made it an impressive win would be if PSU had BEATEN one of those three teams. Florida Atlantic can go out and lose to three top 5 teams.

Big East Standings

TEAM CONF. W-L OVERALL W-L

Rutgers 4-0 9-0

Louisville 3-1 8-1

West Virginia 2-1 7-1

Pittsburgh 2-2 6-3

South Florida 2-2 6-3

Cincinnati 2-2 5-4

Connecticut 0-3 3-5

Syracuse 0-4 3-6

6 of the 8 Big East teams could be bowl eligible

I'm obviously Rutgers/Big East bias, but we were hearing the same things last year before WVU beat Georgia IN Georgia. I think anyone who says the Big East shouldn't be a BCS conference is just being very bitter.

I'll go back to enjoying the great win.

Last year they finished the season as the 2nd best team in the country and brought back their entire offense, they manhandled ND in the Fiesta and played the defending National Champions in their own stadium and didn't even break a sweat whipping them.

The coaches and the AP , along with the computers give OSU credibilty for this. The fact that they were so good finishing the season last year, and have the nations best D against the points this season is proof enough to 99% of the country that they are unquestioned.

If your telling me that Rutgers could play better then .500 ball in the Big 10 or SEC, i can say it's doubtful

um this is college we are talking about right? what does last yr have to do with anything, other then PS rankings when they factor in returnees etc...i mean if OSU lost their last 3 games last yr are you saying they shouldnt be considered #1 this year?

I guess what i dont understand is why a team can be ranked in the top 15 and then if it beats the #3 team and then a week later beats the former #3 team, all being LATE in the season and they finish undefeated how they can be denied a shot at the NC since they are one of only 2 undefeated teams left....

What would have made it an impressive win would be if PSU had BEATEN one of those three teams. Florida Atlantic can go out and lose to three top 5 teams.

Rumor has it that LSU will be playing Penn State in the Outback Bowl on January 1st. The Outback Bowl usually selects an SEC East team to play in the game, but the division is pretty weak this season, outside of Florida and Tennessee. LSU hasn't played in the Tampa game since 1988, when it was called the Hall of Fame Bowl.

Really do you want to see Rutgers-OSU or USC-OSU?

umm yeah i would like to see RU vs OSU and i am sure a large portion of the country would be pulling for david vs goliath...i think it would actually do college football some good and also help the BE too...as for USC-OSU I honestly can say I probably wouldnt even watch...

I guess what i dont understand is why a team can be ranked in the top 15 and then if it beats the #3 team and then a week later beats the former #3 team, all being LATE in the season and they finish undefeated how they can be denied a shot at the NC since they are one of only 2 undefeated teams left....

Former #3 that's silly :D

The point I'm making is that it's about the numbers because that's all that the computers know. I feel that if they run the table Rutgers should be given a shot at the NC. I just don't believe they'll be given that opportunity based on the numbers game the BCS plays.

um this is college we are talking about right? what does last yr have to do with anything, other then PS rankings when they factor in returnees etc...i mean if OSU lost their last 3 games last yr are you saying they shouldnt be considered #1 this year?

Last year is basically how the polls are set to begin the season, so they're VERY important. Teams not ranked high to start the season have a difficult time climbing past those that are. If a top team brings back alot of their players, then they're always ranked high.

The point I'm making is that it's about the numbers because that's all that the computers know. I feel that if they run the table Rutgers should be given a shot at the NC. I just don't believe they'll be given that opportunity based on the numbers game the BCS plays.

To be honest, I'm glad the computers are still part of the BCS selection process. At least it helps balance out some of the prejudices you have in the polls.

STANDINGS

2006-07 Big Ten Overall

Teams W L Pct. W L Pct.

Purdue 3 3 .500 6 4 .600

Iowa 2 4 .333 6 4 .600

I guess your trying to suggest the Big 10 is weaker then the Big East :D

:bash:

:D

FWIW, it's the Rutgers Strength of Schedule killing them right now. It's currently 62. Only Wake Forest and Boise State have lower ones out of the top 25 teams.

Exactly, which is why Rutgers does not deserve the NC game, and won't even sniff it. The Big East, while much improved, and a BCS conference, is not a strong conference. Previous to this game, I think the Big East had 2 wins vs. top 30, and 1 win vs. Top 10, which was UL over WVU, not good at all- until these JV schools start playing someone out of conference they will not be a top tier league- period.