[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happens "IF" Rutgers beats WVU?

keggerz

Last year is basically how the polls are set to begin the season, so they're VERY important. Teams not ranked high to start the season have a difficult time climbing past those that are. If a top team brings back alot of their players, then they're always ranked high.

i know that but beyond that it is by what happens in the games and considering RU wasnt ranked to start the year(that is a guess on my part) then isnt their ranking even more legit?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, which is why Rutgers does not deserve the NC game, and won't even sniff it. The Big East, while much improved, and a BCS conference, is not a strong conference. Previous to this game, I think the Big East had 2 wins vs. top 30, and 1 win vs. Top 10, which was UL over WVU, not good at all- until these JV schools start playing someone out of conference they will not be a top tier league- period.

+1

And they will have to play them on the road since most of the so called big schools won't consider doing a home and away series with a team that historically struggle to fill their 50,000 seat stadiums.

College football has pulled off the biggest heist in America. The funny thing is, they keep doing it. We will never know because the system won't let teams settle anything. Boise State is a good example of a team on the verge of getting screwed by greed. They mooshed Oregon state by like 40 points and in turn, Oregon State beats USC. That is why we need a tourney. Any team has a chance to win a game given a chance. I hate college football presidents and boosters. Fat mutha truckers.

College football has pulled off the biggest heist in America. The funny thing is, they keep doing it. We will never know because the system won't let teams settle anything. Boise State is a good example of a team on the verge of getting screwed by greed. They mooshed Oregon state by like 40 points and in turn, Oregon State beats USC. That is why we need a tourney. Any team has a chance to win a game given a chance. I hate college football presidents and boosters. Fat mutha truckers.

Even if there were a playoff couldn't see Boise State getting in unless than went more than 8 to 12 deep. Records can be deceiving. That's like saying if Ohio State goes undefeated this season they should have a shot at the Super Bowl.

Even if there were a playoff couldn't see Boise State getting in unless than went more than 8 to 12 deep. Records can be deceiving. That's like saying if Ohio State goes undefeated this season they should have a shot at the Super Bowl.

Um, no you don't get it. Ever watch college basketball? Throw out any and all excuses you've been brainwashed by. I am not talking 8 to 12 deep. I am talking a big tourney with at least 30 teams. Use the gay rankings if you want. You play at the home stadium of the team with the better record or use a neutral field.

Um, no you don't get it. Ever watch college basketball? Throw out any and all excuses you've been brainwashed by. I am not talking 8 to 12 deep. I am talking a big tourney with at least 30 teams. Use the gay rankings if you want. You play at the home stadium of the team with the better record or use a neutral field.

When was the last time a basketball team that was seeded higher than 32 win a NC? I'm not looking for a playoff system that produces an occassional upset. No way should they go 30 deep in football. I would think 16 absolutely tops and that's stretching it.

When was the last time a basketball team that was seeded higher than 32 win a NC? I'm not looking for a playoff system that produces an occassional upset. No way should they go 30 deep in football. I would think 16 absolutely tops and that's stretching it.

Agree, 16 teams seeded by whatever formula they care to come up with. That's 4 extra games for the teams in NC game.

BTW the lowest ranked team to even win a basketball NC was Villanova when seeded 8th. That was the year the Big East put 3 teams in the final 4.

Edited by Kid Cid

BTW the lowest ranked team to even win a basketball NC was Villanova when seeded 8th. That was the year the Big East put 3 teams in the final 4.

Villonova, St. Johns, Georgetown and Memphis State were in the Final Fout in 1985.

Memphis State had a last-second basket that denied Boston College from becoming the 4th Big East team to make the Final 4 that year.

Agree, 16 teams seeded by whatever formula they care to come up with. That's 4 extra games for the teams in NC game.

Liked the way you got in that "Big East" plug. Four extra games on top of a 12 game schedule might be just abit too much. Think they could get it down to 8 teams and not have to really worry about leaving any true deserving potential NC out.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Are you a college president? A playoff in college football would produce more than an occaisional upset. Happens in college basketball all the time. The cream of the crop would most likely emerge to the NC if they can win. What is so hard about that? We would get to see great matchups like USC vs Auburn a few years ago instead of a the sooners. This would create parity in college football.

Use the gay rankings if you want. You play at the home stadium of the team with the better record or use a neutral field.

You use the nuetral sites that were previously the home of the minor bowls. You think that the president of the "Emerald Bowl" wouldn't rather host a 1st round tourney game over a meaningless game between two 6-5 teams?

Are you a college president? A playoff in college football would produce more than an occaisional upset. Happens in college basketball all the time. The cream of the crop would most likely emerge to the NC if they can win. What is so hard about that? We would get to see great matchups like USC vs Auburn a few years ago instead of a the sooners. This would create parity in college football.

I am a President but not a college president. Football is not like basketball where they can play 2 or 3 games in a week. Your system of 32 teams would require 5 more games thus 5 more weeks for those teams reaching the NC game.

until these JV schools start playing someone out of conference they will not be a top tier league- period.

OSU's non-conference schedule consisted of Texas :D and then Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, and Bowling Green :D not exactly the cream of the crop there either.

Perhaps they can play Boise State in a bowl game?

+1 - that is absolutely what should happen then - see my post in the other thread...

And whoever wins can be the #3 in the final poll. That should be enough for them and their wannabe fans - asking for anything more is silly...

Edited by Coffeeman

I am a President but not a college president. Football is not like basketball where they can play 2 or 3 games in a week. Your system of 32 teams would require 5 more games thus 5 more weeks for those teams reaching the NC game.

So, they wait for five friggen weeks before they play their bowl games. The tourney starts the week after the the last sheduled game. Why is this so hard to digest? The NFL plays 17 weeks plus playoffs.

I'm curious as to why everyone feels that beating up on the likes of Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, and/or Mich. State is any harder than beating up on Cincy, Syracuse, UConn, and USF.

Edited by Muggsy

So, they wait for five friggen weeks before they play their bowl games. The tourney starts the week after the the last sheduled game. Why is this so hard to digest? The NFL plays 17 weeks plus playoffs.

This isn't realistic because college players, in theory at least, are also taking classes and preparing for finals in addition to training/preparing for games. I like where you're headed though, If you cut the college schedule down to 10 regular season games this would be very do-able.

I agree- 16 is about right- any more is pushing it- this ain't basketball. They are morons because we all kow how awesome March madness is- a 16 team NCAA football playoff would be effing sick- gawd they are missing the boat on this so badly. With scholarship limits, etc the playing field is becoming more even every year. I lost interest in these bu11sh1t bowl games years ago. Gimme some solid games in a playoff system?? I am not missing a single snap........

This isn't realistic because college players, in theory at least, are also taking classes and preparing for finals in addition to training/preparing for games. I like where you're headed though, If you cut the college schedule down to 10 regular season games this would be very do-able.

Whoa there, cowboy. You can't cut down the season by 2-3 games for all 119 Div1A teams to accomodate a playoff system for 8 or 16 lucky ones. That is not fair and the $ lost makes it totally impossible. Come up with another idea...

I'm curious as to why everyone feels that beating up on the likes of Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, and/or Mich. State is any harder than beating up on Cincy, Syracuse, UConn, and USF.

You can't be serious.....

The Big 10 is a bit down this year, but year in and year out it is as deep and tough a league as any. Comparing the quality of the Big East & the Big 10 is an insult to the Big 10 - this year is an exception.

OSU's non-conference schedule consisted of Texas :D and then Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, and Bowling Green :D not exactly the cream of the crop there either.

Anyone who plays a Big 10 sched and goes on the road to play Texas has stones.

The SEC, Big E, etc hardly ever make a trip like that-

You can't be serious.....

The Big 10 is a bit down this year, but year in and year out it is as deep and tough a league as any. Comparing the quality of the Big East & the Big 10 is an insult to the Big 10 - this year is an exception.

+1

Are basketball players students? How about baseball players? Golfers, swimmers...etc... Quit coddling football players. Student athletes are expected to perform both. That is why they are getting a free education.

That and other brainwashing excuses are what college presidents and coaches are programmed to say when questioned about playoff ideas. The big conferences are spoiled and want all the money.

They don't play the kind of teams that help them make the case.

The BCS formula is 2/3 based on polls which completely discriminate against a team like Rutgers that doesn't have a pedigree from previous seasons and doesn't get ranked until late October (and therefore can't overtake all the "power" schools that lose an early game).