[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ware vs. Merriman debate

Cowboyz1

Wrong on both points. You obviously don’t play in any IDP leagues. Forced fumbles, pass defended, ECT do score you points and are quite valuable for DEF scoring. These stats are generally worth more points than tackles are because they are less frequent.

Also, I am most certainly not confusing Edwards for Urlacher in any way whatsoever. Urlacher is a very good LB and I currently own him on my IDP team. He is the equivalent of a top 2nd tier LB. Additionally; he is the 2nd best LB on his own team. Lance Briggs is the best LB on CHI.

Edwards on the other hand over the last 3 seasons is the #1 LB in all of football. Although in certain scoring system he may be ranked #2 to Keith Bulluck. Edwards may be having a slightly off year (so far this season) by his lofty standards and possibly may be ranked slightly below Urlacher so far this season (depending on the scoring system used) but historically he is still the better of the two LB's. Urlacher rank's #20 in my league using a 3 year history and probably no higher than #12 over the last 3 seasons using any other scoring format you would like.

LOL...first I do play in IDP..just a different scoring system..you actually have to recover the ball or intercept to score...knocking it free and defending a pass is not score worthy in our league. Our league is tackle weighted..so I pick tacklers...who may tackle well...but are always tackling guys 4 to five yards their side of the line of scrimmage.

That last sentence is the skinny on Edwards. While he is an IDP stud because of his tackle number and occasional interception....he plays on his side of the LOS. Urlacher makes plays on the opponents side or near the line. I am not even going to have this conversation with you....there is no way a sane person can even say that Edwards is remotely close to a game changer as Urlacher....Fantasy Football aside. And while Briggs is getting more tackles....you don't ask...WHY??? Because Chicago plays the Tampa 2 and the WLB is studly in that scheme. By rights, Urlacher should be less of a factor in that scheme...but he is so phenomonal...he is equally as valuable as Briggs. So, you keep evaluating player worth based upon FF rankings....the rest of the THINKING world will continue to take into account impact and stats you don't see or score as a way to rate a defensive player.

LOL...first I do play in IDP..just a different scoring system..you actually have to recover the ball or intercept to score...knocking it free and defending a pass is not score worthy in our league. Our league is tackle weighted..so I pick tacklers...who may tackle well...but are always tackling guys 4 to five yards their side of the line of scrimmage.

That last sentence is the skinny on Edwards. While he is an IDP stud because of his tackle number and occasional interception....he plays on his side of the LOS. Urlacher makes plays on the opponents side or near the line. I am not even going to have this conversation with you....there is no way a sane person can even say that Edwards is remotely close to a game changer as Urlacher....Fantasy Football aside. And while Briggs is getting more tackles....you don't ask...WHY??? Because Chicago plays the Tampa 2 and the WLB is studly in that scheme. By rights, Urlacher should be less of a factor in that scheme...but he is so phenomonal...he is equally as valuable as Briggs. So, you keep evaluating player worth based upon FF rankings....the rest of the THINKING world will continue to take into account impact and stats you don't see or score as a way to rate a defensive player.

Couldnt have said it better myself. :D

A lot has to do with the type of defense teams want to build. Given today's game, you can only pay about 3 to 5 dynamic, pro bowl caliber, playmakers on each side of the ball as teams are typically hamstrung by the cap. That said, there are considerations that value a very versatile player over a specialty guy. Injuries can kill a defense and the more versatile guys you have the better. Merriman is a pressure, headhunter that makes you game plan around him. But look what happened to their D when he was gone. We just lost Ellis and still played arguably the best O in football to 14 points. Ware had everything to do with that as he was lined up everywhere and did everything well. I can't say that about Merriman. He does not do everything well, yet.......

lets not forget we're talking a Parcells coached Defense either..he's been around the block a time or two...