[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the debate continute!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately. That game is likely to be a Sooner Rout, and only die hards like myself will see the 2nd half.

Id love to see OU get a Rose Bowl invite, and play SC. Man Id love that.

Hey don't go messing with my Tigers once in a lifetime chance to go to the Rose. If you watched ESPN tonight it seemed like they were pushing hard for a Florida vs. Ohio State NC. Got to wonder if ABC is giving any advice to those guys as to which Rose Bowl matchup would get the best TV ratings. You would think a traditional Big 10 & Pac 10 matchup is what ABC wants. Personally if LSU wasn't involved I would too. :D

My only question is, if their is a rematch, will the people (like rocker and other LSU fans) that were pro BCS in 2003, be anti-bcs in 2006? To me, it's apples to apples. The BCS seems to be a system that you love it when it suits your team, but its the worst thing ever if it does something you dont want it to do.

Glad to see you are starting to lean towards the points I was making about the 2003. That's why I said the computer part of the BCS formula should never have been reduced. As it stands today the pollsters have way too much of a say, so it becomes less objective than back in 2003.

If the computer part wasn't reduced, the debate would be over, Michigan would be #2, because all indicators say, they will be #2 in the computers. Floridas only hope is that the human polls swing their way.

And I could live with that. It shouldn't be a personality or beauty contest. But now that the BCS has changed so now opinions matter.

See, not me, because computers only look at raw data. They don't know if a team is good or not. All they look at is, Michigan destroyed that 2 loss Notre Dame team, or Florida barely beat the bowl-less Vanderbilt team. Where as a human voter can look at that and know, that Notre Dame is overrated. They know that Ohio State beat a Michigan State team, and know that that actually is more impressive than Rutgers beating a Pittsburgh team, despite the Pitt team having a better record than the MSU team, even though MSU blew out Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.

What I was most impressed with today was the coach from Michigan not pleading like the coach from Florida. Granted not sure if he would have been the same way if the computers had his team behind the Gators and vise versa. But that's exactly the kind of crap you can expect when the subjective pollsters are involved. Not sure if you heard Holtz and a few others say the pollsters will and should take into consideration before they vote the SEC past of being snubbed. To me that's the kind of subjective BS that wasn't there in 2003.

See, not me, because computers only look at raw data. They don't know if a team is good or not. All they look at is, Michigan destroyed that 2 loss Notre Dame team, or Florida barely beat the bowl-less Vanderbilt team. Where as a human voter can look at that and know, that Notre Dame is overrated. They know that Ohio State beat a Michigan State team, and know that that actually is more impressive than Rutgers beating a Pittsburgh team, despite the Pitt team having a better record than the MSU team, even though MSU blew out Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh.

Don't bring up ND. It certainly doesn't help your argument. They are overrated by the pollsters you are talking about. They are the ones overrating them. Computers don't know ND's history.

EXACTLY. They don't know ND's history. They don't know anything about ND, except that they are 10-2, and it makes anyone who beats them (like Michigan) look better. And that's ALL it is. You want to talk about your style points (Which Urban Meyer correctly pointed out sucks basically) there it is. In the computers.

EXACTLY. They don't know ND's history. They don't know anything about ND, except that they are 10-2, and it makes anyone who beats them (like Michigan) look better. And that's ALL it is. You want to talk about your style points (Which Urban Meyer correctly pointed out sucks basically) there it is. In the computers.

Geez...you guys up North must really hate Notre Dame. Coaches poll has them at 12, so that tells me that arn't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. :D

Just like having a female android for a wife. Great idea but in reality just a pipe dream.

Here is where you're wrong. My wife is an android who conistently offers me kinky animal sex. I never have to ask. She also massages my feet, maintains the house, does the dishes and works full time. She tells me how brilliant I am, she has a synthetic Gator tatoo on her lower back, and she thinks Florida should play for the NC. Who am I to argue with aritificial superior intelligence?

Actually they would both have at least one loss, maybe two. Just thought I would throw one more opinion out there based on zero facts.

Opinions is all we can throw out there because the system does not allow for teams to make their case on the field. OSU is a good team. Michigan is a good team. Florida is a good team. LSU is a good team. Etc, etc, etc. How does Florida match up against Michigan? I don't know and no one EVER will because they will not play. Could Michigan beat OSU on a neutral field? We might never know because Michigan might never get the chance? Will OSU destroy Florida or could Florida do what it's been doing most of this season--find a way to win--we might never know.

The part of me that would like to see the BCS implode would like to see an OSU-Michigan game. I think if the SEC were snubbed twice, the SEC powers that be might make a strong effort to initiate a playoff system. The Gator (and selfish) part of me wants Florida to play OSU. Because of our defense, I don't think the Gators would be destroyed. I think it would be a very close game.

My only question is, if their is a rematch, will the people (like rocker and other LSU fans) that were pro BCS in 2003, be anti-bcs in 2006? To me, it's apples to apples. The BCS seems to be a system that you love it when it suits your team, but its the worst thing ever if it does something you dont want it to do.

This is not true. The LSU fans are not anti-BCS. The BCS is what it is, about the best we can do without a playoff system. The key is everyone knew that this is the system that we have going into the year, so we all should just live with it. When it all comes down to it, the polls are 2/3 of the BCS formula so they will be the deciding factor. In the end, it would settle the debate more if Ohio St. beat Florida to win the National Title. That would clear things up a lot more than another win over Michigan or a loss to Michigan. It would allow the Big Ten to further validate itself possibly beating a tough opponent outside their conference.

It is not who you lost to that is the important factor. It is who you actually beat!

Both are important factors. Michigan beat everyone they played except for the best team in the land. They had one very good team on their non-conference schedule (Notre Dame) and beat them by 26 on the road. They then beat all the Big10 schools they faced until the went to Columbus.

OSU only played one good non-conference school as well (Texas) and beat them handily on the road too. Are you saying OSU doesn't deserve to be number one? Because their schedule was pretty much exactly the same as UM's. And if Michigan didn't beat anybody then maybe OSU's victory over UM really didn't mean that much as the Wolverines were overated. :D

Both are important factors. Michigan beat everyone they played except for the best team in the land. They had one very good team on their non-conference schedule (Notre Dame) and beat them by 26 on the road. They then beat all the Big10 schools they faced until the went to Columbus.

OSU only played one good non-conference school as well (Texas) and beat them handily on the road too. Are you saying OSU doesn't deserve to be number one? Because their schedule was pretty much exactly the same as UM's. And if Michigan didn't beat anybody then maybe OSU's victory over UM really didn't mean that much as the Wolverines were overated. :D

This is what I am saying. Michigan had their chance in their LAST ball game and lost, Florida won their conference championship, Florida played the #1 schedule in the country, Florida has a 6 game winning streak, Michigan lost their last game, and Ohio St. playing a strong team outside of their own conferene will give us a far better measuring stick than playing the same team they just played in their last game!

Like I said in my first post, both teams have a legitimate argument and one team will end the day with a legitimate gripe.

I do not think the fact that UM already played OSU should have any bearing whatsoever. We are trying to determine the 2nd best team in the country to face the best team. Losing to the #1 team on the road by 3 points shouldn't disqualify you from still being the 2nd best team in the land given the fact the other one-loss teams lost to a worse team. Maybe it doesn't mean you deserve a second shot automatically but the fact you already played shouldn't drop you behind other one-loss teams on that basis alone. Florida's argument that they played a tougher schedule may be enough to leap-frog Michigan, or does the fact they lost to a worse team offset that. :D

We'll find out today and the BCS will take another one directly on the chin. :D

Glad to see you are starting to lean towards the points I was making about the 2003. That's why I said the computer part of the BCS formula should never have been reduced. As it stands today the pollsters have way too much of a say, so it becomes less objective than back in 2003.

The computers are completely subjective as well, who do you think enters in the SOS it computes :D

SOS is such a BS factor every year. The SEC proclaims itself to be the toughest conference every season, but i fail to see it when the votes are counted at the end of the year. The computers are no better then the human polls, imo. The simply measure what some :D 's say is so.

Geez...you guys up North must really hate Notre Dame. Coaches poll has them at 12, so that tells me that arn't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. :D

Lets see, ND lost badly to the only Top 10 teams they played and barely sqeaked by G-Tech. Everyone else on their schedule was a joke. Whether it is Michigan, USC, LSU, or UF, ND will probably get dismantled again. The only team that may not dismantle them is UF because of their tendency to play awful for at least 1 qtr.