[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the debate continute!

Not attempting to be antagonistic...could you please explain your position. I'm not understanding why you feel the Gator def is only "above average." Clearly, I disagree with you...but I'd like to try and see your point of view.

I think the Gators have one of the top 3 defenses in the country. They have speed to burn, their corners pressure receivers as good as anyone.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Florida defense is good enough, I think the offense is what I think they may have some issues with.

Florida does give OSU a diffrent look with a qb that can move around and a spread offense alot like what OSU runs. I just don't think the Gators will want to get into a shoot out with OSU. Florida needs to control the clock and play possesion football. I do not think that's what Florida likes to do, however they have a month to prepare and I guarantee Tress started getting ready last night knowing Michigan would not be in Championship game.

The BIG TEN needs push back the scheudle so they end just 1 week before the championships or push it back 2 weeks to match the nation. I believe Michigan sitting for 2 weeks did not help their cause.

The BIG TEN needs push back the scheudle so they end just 1 week before the championships or push it back 2 weeks to match the nation. I believe Michigan sitting for 2 weeks did not help their cause.

I said way back after the Ohio State/ Michigan game that the national spotlight has leaving the big ten and moving on to the west coast to cover the ND/USC game. The Big ten peaked at that time. The Big East peaked when Louisville lost to Rutgers.

I think the Big Ten should split into 2 divisions and have a conference championship. I truly believe it helps the conference and every team in it by exposing the Big Ten to other parts of the country. Same hold true for the Pac 10 which has always suffered from an inferiority complex of having a weak conference. The ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big east have their conference championship games and I think it helps their exposure. Big Ten and Pac 10 should join the 21st century and do the same.

I think the Big Ten should split into 2 divisions and have a conference championship. I truly believe it helps the conference and every team in it by exposing the Big Ten to other parts of the country. Same hold true for the Pac 10 which has always suffered from an inferiority complex of having a weak conference. The ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big east have their conference championship games and I think it helps their exposure. Big Ten and Pac 10 should join the 21st century and do the same.

NCAA rules state that a conference must have at least 12 teams for them to do this.

NCAA rules state that a conference must have at least 12 teams for them to do this.

Doesn't Penn State give them 11?

Wouldn't be too hard to find another at large (read ND) school to join the Big Ten.

Same for the Pac 10. Maybe some WAC schools.

Edited by 'canes2004

I think the Big Ten is fine the way it is. And they don't need exposure, it goes without saying, they earn more revenue than any other conference AND, that is all conference championships are made for. Tiebreakeres work fine, and we've been over this in another thread about adding a 12th team.

No surprise I disagree. The SEC is the most competitive conference in America and our conference championship just proves that. For the second time in five years the conference championship has helped get their conference champion in teh NC. Without it neither of those two teams get in the NC.

No surprise I disagree. The SEC is the most competitive conference in America and our conference championship just proves that. For the second time in five years the conference championship has helped get their conference champion in teh NC. Without it neither of those two teams get in the NC.

More of a reason to love the Big 10 and their strength. We go to the NC game without a conference championship. It's a given, if you go undefeated in the Big 10, your probably the best team in the country anyways.

I think the Big Ten is fine the way it is. And they don't need exposure, it goes without saying, they earn more revenue than any other conference AND, that is all conference championships are made for. Tiebreakeres work fine, and we've been over this in another thread about adding a 12th team.

Hmm, they earn more revenue than any other conference. Here's a report from the Equity in Athletics Reports

1) Texas $47,556,281

2) Tennessee $46,704,719

3) Ohio State $46,242,355

4) Florida $42,710,967

5) Georgia $42,104,214

6) Alabama $39,848,836

7) Notre Dame $38,596,090

8) Michigan $38,547,937

9) LSU $38,381,625

10) Auburn $37,173,943

SEC schools take the #2, #4, #5, #6 #9 and #10. That's 6 out of the top ten. Big ten schools take the #3 and #8.

Linky

More of a reason to love the Big 10 and their strength. We go to the NC game without a conference championship. It's a given, if you go undefeated in the Big 10, your probably the best team in the country anyways.

:D

Must come from all the NC's the Big Ten has claimed over the years.

No doubt the SEC risk losing a team in the national championship each year, but that's what competitive means. Risk and reward. LSU beat Tennessee a few years back in the SEC Championship game which knocked the Vols out of the #1 spot thus the NC game.

Hmm, they earn more revenue than any other conference. Here's a report from the Equity in Athletics Reports

1) Texas $47,556,281

2) Tennessee $46,704,719

3) Ohio State $46,242,355

4) Florida $42,710,967

5) Georgia $42,104,214

6) Alabama $39,848,836

7) Notre Dame $38,596,090

8) Michigan $38,547,937

9) LSU $38,381,625

10) Auburn $37,173,943

SEC schools take the #2, #4, #5, #6 #9 and #10. That's 6 out of the top ten. Big ten schools take the #3 and #8.

Linky

Good stuff

I said way back after the Ohio State/ Michigan game that the national spotlight has leaving the big ten and moving on to the west coast to cover the ND/USC game. The Big ten peaked at that time. The Big East peaked when Louisville lost to Rutgers.

Like Michigan got worse/better in the last 2 weeks...lol.

:D

Must come from all the NC's the Big Ten has claimed over the years.

Yeah coming from a Miami fan thats funny. Must be pretty easy runing the table playing in the Big East all of those years, and then missing a tough opponent in your last national championship (Nebraska didn't even play IN their conference championship game, what a joke). Winning a national title takes a lot of luck, something that just doesn't happen USUALLY in the Big Ten, where going undefeated is tough to do, and something that pretty much needs to happen to win it all. And how many years has the Big Ten featured a team that coulda been easily argued to have been the national champion. 1994 Penn State was a dominating team, but didn't even get a split with Nebraska, both were undefeated. 1996 Ohio State had 1 loss, just like the Gators, yet somehow the MEDIA chose the SEC team (there goes your theory that the media hates the SEC rocker). IMO, those are 2 national titles the Big Ten got jobbed out of, which is why I think national championships are pretty overrated when looking at a conferences strength.

Yeah coming from a Miami fan thats funny. Must be pretty easy runing the table playing in the Big East all of those years, and then missing a tough opponent in your last national championship (Nebraska didn't even play IN their conference championship game, what a joke). Winning a national title takes a lot of luck, something that just doesn't happen USUALLY in the Big Ten, where going undefeated is tough to do, and something that pretty much needs to happen to win it all. And how many years has the Big Ten featured a team that coulda been easily argued to have been the national champion. 1994 Penn State was a dominating team, but didn't even get a split with Nebraska, both were undefeated. 1996 Ohio State had 1 loss, just like the Gators, yet somehow the MEDIA chose the SEC team (there goes your theory that the media hates the SEC rocker). IMO, those are 2 national titles the Big Ten got jobbed out of, which is why I think national championships are pretty overrated when looking at a conferences strength.

Are you gonna talk about my mom next? :D

Listen if the Big ten got jobbed out of a couple of national titles, they got one back in OT of the OSU/UM game with that so called "pass interference" call on 4th down. So I guess we still owe you guys one more. :D