Sign in to follow this  
twiley

The Wine List and bargain bin

I'm thinking maybe a Shane. Not sure of the street value though. :wacko:

That brings up a good point if looking only at $ numbers: There are often big differences between current value and release price.

That's why I didn't want the dollar value to be to strict. More a guideline. I would way rather get some very cool and hard to find gem than some random cab from Napa that I can find anywhere.

I'd even be up for giving the potential winner (obviously it would be me :D ) a choice of one of three from my inventory.

Maybe there is something that they would prefer.

Just my :wacko:

That brings up a good point if looking only at $ numbers: There are often big differences between current value and release price.

Sine Qua Non is a good example. Relatively inexpensive if you're on the list but crazy expensive if you buy elsewhere.

Sine Qua Non is a good example. Relatively inexpensive if you're on the list but crazy expensive if you buy elsewhere.

Did I tell you how good the Poker Face is? I'll say this: as much profit as I could have made, it was worth drinking.

Exactly right though. Flipping wine continues to turn a better profit than a lot of other investments. It has slowed down a bit lately and this year, we're seeing a glut of mailing list - only wines being dumped near cost (like KB) so I haven't been doing much selling lately. Hopefully it will pick up again down the road.

BTW, QC release party this weekend!

Did I tell you how good the Poker Face is? I'll say this: as much profit as I could have made, it was worth drinking.

Exactly right though. Flipping wine continues to turn a better profit than a lot of other investments. It has slowed down a bit lately and this year, we're seeing a glut of mailing list - only wines being dumped near cost (like KB) so I haven't been doing much selling lately. Hopefully it will pick up again down the road.

:wacko: I can't tell you how many allocated wines I've been invited to buy this year for no good reason at all. I'm not a big restaurant and I don't move a ton of high end juice, so in the big picture, I'm not a player. Funny thing is, back vintages of half these "coveted" wines that are being offered on pre-sale are also on close-out.

That's why I LOOOOOVE being in the private club business . . . . tons of capital to purchase rare lots and cellar them, PLUS I can purchase what I like from the selection! (my first club had a standing inventory of 300k in wine alone . .)

Normally it takes years to build up a decent allocation of rare wines . . . . it is nice to get in a place that has that kinda pull already.

I like Riesling, and Chateau St. Michelle is pretty darn cheap. Around $7 = $8 per bottle. Kendall Jackson is good as well.

AH but nothing beats a Hogue Cellars Late Harvest Riesling...give that one a try and see what you think!!! :wacko:

AH but nothing beats a Hogue Cellars Late Harvest Riesling...give that one a try and see what you think!!! :wacko:

Sounds sweet?

My favorite if Crawford's Riesling. Dry and tasty.

Thanks for the suggestion. Picked up a 2008 bottle this weekend. Didn't like it as much as other Rieslings I've had. Too sweet I think. So far I think I still like Kendall Jackson the best.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

My personal blog has a couple of reviews of wines I've tasted. More will be going up over time. At Least I'm Enjoying the Ride

Sixth Sense Syrah...mmm

Can you tell us anything about it other than it makes you say mmm?

Other than the name, not a lot..it cost's about $16.00. The maker is the same as the 7 deadly zins as was mentioned previously in the thread, I am not a big wine connesuier other than I can tell you I don't prefer very sweet wine so it is very dry and complements any red meat very well. The best red I have tried so far. pinot/cab/syr/etc.

Oh yeah mmm = tastes good...

Great new gem my F & B manager tried and called me in for. "The Crusher" Petite Syrah from Clarksburg, california.

Excellent food wine, solid upfront fruit that has a more depth than I would have expected.

Around here it is about $13.00 a bottle. Fantastic value for the result . . . a solid "mid-week" wine to pair with a bold fish combo like salmon all the way up to a decent steak.

Ahh yes, Michael and David. They're the makers of Seven Deadly Zins. It doesn't surprise me that the Syrah is good as well. The climate in Lodi makes for very ripe fruit that leads to rich, jammy wine with a high alcohol content. this is something that the Syrah grape can benefit from. They also make Earthquake Zin and Earthquake Cab. The Zin is exquisite but the Cab not so much IMO. All the fruitiness of the Cab masks the depth and complexity typically assiciated with this grape.

Arabella Merlot. This is a great South African wine for about $10 retail if you can find it. Rich aromas of tobacco and smoke pair with a very fruit forwad flavor of plums and cassis. A very delightful sipper at a great price.

I've gotten a ton of customers hooked on St. Francis Red. Obviously from St. Francis. 100% Sonoma County red blend. Sells anywhere between 8-12 bucks at Randalls/Tom Thumbs and is the best bang for your buck. I go through 4-6 cases a week at each grocery store. It outsells pretty much any red other than Menage A trios Red.

what can you all tell me about Ferrari Carano Merlot, 2007 Sonoma County?

the wife had a bottle sent to her as a gift from one the Cali salesmen who is 'in to wine'

I love it!...bottle says 'silky finish' and it sure does.

Had a beautiful bottle of Plumpjack Merlot 2005 at Ruth Chris Steakhouse in San Diego tonight . . . . . fantastic bottle

Sign in to follow this