[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Wine List and bargain bin

twiley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I like Riesling, and Chateau St. Michelle is pretty darn cheap. Around $7 = $8 per bottle. Kendall Jackson is good as well.

AH but nothing beats a Hogue Cellars Late Harvest Riesling...give that one a try and see what you think!!! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
AH but nothing beats a Hogue Cellars Late Harvest Riesling...give that one a try and see what you think!!! :wacko:

Thanks for the suggestion. Picked up a 2008 bottle this weekend. Didn't like it as much as other Rieslings I've had. Too sweet I think. So far I think I still like Kendall Jackson the best.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

• 1 month later...
Can you tell us anything about it other than it makes you say mmm?

Other than the name, not a lot..it cost's about $16.00. The maker is the same as the 7 deadly zins as was mentioned previously in the thread, I am not a big wine connesuier other than I can tell you I don't prefer very sweet wine so it is very dry and complements any red meat very well. The best red I have tried so far. pinot/cab/syr/etc.

• 2 months later...

Great new gem my F & B manager tried and called me in for. "The Crusher" Petite Syrah from Clarksburg, california.

Excellent food wine, solid upfront fruit that has a more depth than I would have expected.

Around here it is about $13.00 a bottle. Fantastic value for the result . . . a solid "mid-week" wine to pair with a bold fish combo like salmon all the way up to a decent steak.

Ahh yes, Michael and David. They're the makers of Seven Deadly Zins. It doesn't surprise me that the Syrah is good as well. The climate in Lodi makes for very ripe fruit that leads to rich, jammy wine with a high alcohol content. this is something that the Syrah grape can benefit from. They also make Earthquake Zin and Earthquake Cab. The Zin is exquisite but the Cab not so much IMO. All the fruitiness of the Cab masks the depth and complexity typically assiciated with this grape.

• 2 weeks later...

Arabella Merlot. This is a great South African wine for about $10 retail if you can find it. Rich aromas of tobacco and smoke pair with a very fruit forwad flavor of plums and cassis. A very delightful sipper at a great price.

I've gotten a ton of customers hooked on St. Francis Red. Obviously from St. Francis. 100% Sonoma County red blend. Sells anywhere between 8-12 bucks at Randalls/Tom Thumbs and is the best bang for your buck. I go through 4-6 cases a week at each grocery store. It outsells pretty much any red other than Menage A trios Red.

• 2 months later...
Arabella Merlot. This is a great South African wine for about $10 retail if you can find it. Rich aromas of tobacco and smoke pair with a very fruit forwad flavor of plums and cassis. A very delightful sipper at a great price.

what can you all tell me about Ferrari Carano Merlot, 2007 Sonoma County?

the wife had a bottle sent to her as a gift from one the Cali salesmen who is 'in to wine'

I love it!...bottle says 'silky finish' and it sure does.

Had a beautiful bottle of Plumpjack Merlot 2005 at Ruth Chris Steakhouse in San Diego tonight . . . . . fantastic bottle

Gotta say, Merlot is still a great value and I'm surprised how long it's taking the market to figure it out. The Sideways correction really chased most of the crap out of the market and anyone who continued to make it did so because they care about the grape (when it does what it's supposed to) and continue to make it even though they have to basically give it away. That's good for us. Not exactly bargain bin material, but I'm still getting Northstar Merlot from Washington (a joint effort between some guys from Chat St. Michelle and Antinori of Italy) at $20 wholesale, which is half what it cost 5 years ago. It's insanely good. Deep, ripe, and totally balanced. Anyone used to Merlot being a simple quaff would never pick it out as Merlot.

I'd imagine that my market isn't the only place where they're discounting it so heavily, so it might be worth asking your local retailer.

Edited by detlef

Being unemployed will definitely make you re-assess just how much you "need" to spend for wine. :wacko: Is Boones Farm still .98/bottle??

Also being sold in the grocery store doesn't hurt, like to keep extra trips to the wine store to a minimum.

Someone mentioned Chateau St. Michelle Reisling - slightly sweet for my tastes (well hey it's a Reisling) but agree well worth the mere $7-8. Like Menage a Trois for an inexpensive red blend. Dancing Bull also makes a nice Zin for about $9-10, I think. Used to like several of the Penfolds selections but haven't cared for what I've had the last few times. I also found Jacobs Creek Shiraz for only $6 at the store the other day. I've actually only had it once or twice some time back, but thought it was respectable both times - if that still holds, one helluva deal.

Edited by BeeR

Gotta say, Merlot is still a great value and I'm surprised how long it's taking the market to figure it out. The Sideways correction really chased most of the crap out of the market and anyone who continued to make it did so because they care about the grape (when it does what it's supposed to) and continue to make it even though they have to basically give it away. That's good for us. Not exactly bargain bin material, but I'm still getting Northstar Merlot from Washington (a joint effort between some guys from Chat St. Michelle and Antinori of Italy) at $20 wholesale, which is half what it cost 5 years ago. It's insanely good. Deep, ripe, and totally balanced. Anyone used to Merlot being a simple quaff would never pick it out as Merlot.

I'd imagine that my market isn't the only place where they're discounting it so heavily, so it might be worth asking your local retailer.

thanks for the tip detlef....i'll try it

i don't like dry wines like CS's and such, that Ferrari had a real smooth finish.

Anything else you guys can suggest, i'll try them...don't know much about wine, but not clueless either.

cabs:

- frei brothers, around $20

- rosenblum, around $12

- hahn, around $14

- joel gott, around $18

- ramsey, around $12

zin:

- 4 vines, around $12

- sterling, around $14

some other reds:

- raymond R merlot, around $13

- st francis claret, around $20

- markham merlot, around $17

I have recently gotten a few bottles of a Chilean wine I like, Casillero del Diablo, the Cab Sav 2008 for about nine bucks. I want to try the Merlot next, priced the same. Anyone try this? I'm no wine expert by any stretch, but I like it. Very smooth, heavy cherry and some mocha hints.

Commanderie de Peyrassol 'La Criox de Peyrassol' Rouge 2008

Highlight of the day for me yesterday (among about 50 wines tasted) in terms of value. My wholesale cost is around $9, so expect to see it in stores for the low teens. Something finally clicked for me in terms of when iron tastes good in a wine. Iron on the front and fruit on the back means it tastes like meat, which is obviously a good thing. Iron on the back means it tastes like, well, metal, which obviously sort of sucks. This would certainly be the former and I'm putting it on by the glass. Lush and ripe so you don't have to work at it, but the aforementioned meaty quality means it'll hold up to anything. All this and without a dominant oak presence.

• 2 months later...

Domaine de la Becasssonne: cotes du rhone, blanc- $15

50% roussanne, 30% grenache, 20% clairette. green apple aromas. apricot, peach, honeysuckle, and mineral on the palette. really loved this wine tonight!!!

2008 Vina Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc (Chile) - $7.99

Crisp. Lots of citrus/fruit. I had it with shrimp. I don't think that I would pair it with food other than a mild seafood.

If you're looking for something to chill down for the summer, you could do worse.