[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Wine List and bargain bin

twiley

2006 TORRES CELESTE RIBERA DEL DUERO "7:00 PM"

wow, LOVED this spanish red. loved it the way I haven't loved a fairly cheap wine in quite a while. very fruity (cherry, blackberry, even strawberry?) and yet earthy. they had it on sale for 12 bucks (i think?) at my local licquor store, I may go back and buy whatever they have left.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my current selection of wines $15 and under that I think are palatable. You may be willing to agree or disagree, you choice. However, I think it represents a great place to start for the novice wine drinker and it exposes them to wines from all over the world. I will be amending this in the future as I want to add more whites to this list, but right now, this will have to do. I'll add this to the bargain list post as well.

http://www.corrundum.net/post/The-$15...-wine-list.aspx

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2006 TORRES CELESTE RIBERA DEL DUERO "7:00 PM"

wow, LOVED this spanish red. loved it the way I haven't loved a fairly cheap wine in quite a while. very fruity (cherry, blackberry, even strawberry?) and yet earthy. they had it on sale for 12 bucks (i think?) at my local licquor store, I may go back and buy whatever they have left.

sounds like it would go well with pork ribs. may try to find it today. TY

• 3 months later...

Allegrini + Renacer Enamore

OK, so at $30, it may be a stretch to put it here. But here's why I did. It's basically Amarone, just from Argentina. The guy who owns the Argentine winery went to school with the guy who is currently running Allegrini (among the finest Amarone producers) and his daughter suggested once that they should try to make Amarone in Argentia. So, they sent their winemaker down there and figured it out. Turns out, because it's so dry in Argentia, the grapes dry faster. Regardless, the point of putting it here is that, typically, if you want Amarone, you've got to pay through the nose. "Cheap" Amarone, and by cheap I mean less than $40, generally sucks. This, on the other hand is outstanding.

It's not going to make you forget the last time you had a truly remarkable Amarone, but it's better than anything you'll try of it's kind for the money. If you want to spend any less, you pretty much have to go with Valpo Ripasso, which is nice and has the dried fruit qualities, but not the weight.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wife and I dined at one of our favorite spots Saturday night and split a bottle of Felino 2010 Cabernet. It's from Argentina and we both really enjoyed it, really layered and interesting flavors and very drinkable. Paired perfectly with our steaks. She stopped at Total Wine and found it for $22, a bargain IMO. One of the best wines I've had in a while.

Wife and I dined at one of our favorite spots Saturday night and split a bottle of Felino 2010 Cabernet. It's from Argentina and we both really enjoyed it, really layered and interesting flavors and very drinkable. Paired perfectly with our steaks. She stopped at Total Wine and found it for $22, a bargain IMO. One of the best wines I've had in a while.

I mentioned it in my Argentina recap thread, but Argentine Cab was among the most pleasant surprises while down there. Expected to taste great Malbecs, but was blown away by the Cabs. Virtually every one we tried.

• 1 month later...

cabs:

- frei brothers, around $20

- rosenblum, around $12

- hahn, around $14

- joel gott, around $18

- ramsey, around $12

zin:

- 4 vines, around $12

- sterling, around $14

some other reds:

- raymond R merlot, around $13

- st francis claret, around $20

- markham merlot, around $17

Bier, I am into the Joel Gott, bigtime. It is all I am buying right now as far as Cabs go....

I also like the Sopia Rose chilled (Coppola), very good summer wine.

Bier, I am into the Joel Gott, bigtime. It is all I am buying right now as far as Cabs go....

I also like the Sopia Rose chilled (Coppola), very good summer wine.

If you like the Joel Gott and want to save some jack, he also makes a lower-end Cab called, "The Show" that is a bit of a fruit bomb as far as Cabs go (then again, that's sort of his thing) but delicious and very easy to like.

• 4 weeks later...

These are fantastic wines for the price if you can find them - all suggestions from the top chef in NJ Nicholas Haray who used to be a sommelier for one of the best restaurants in the country Jean-Georges.

They can be ordered on restaurant nicholas's website

2010 Fabre-Montmayou Patagonia Malbec $13.50

2010 Clos Julien Chardonnay Sonoma Coast $15.00

2010 Clos Julien pinot noir $15.00

Domaine de la Citadelle, La Chataignier Rose - $13.00 spectacular in the summer

2010 Farella-Park Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc - $14.00 Best Sav Blanc I've ever had

• 1 month later...

2010 Bila Haut Les Vignes de Bila Haut Cotes de Rousillon Villages

My first Cote de Rousillon. Carignan, Grenache and Syrah. Dark red fruit. Chocolate. Fig. Very earthy. It needs a little more time. About 13 bucks.