[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

for those interested...

Bier Meister

Mountains, like this one? :bash:

Or like this mountain or this one.

Well, they are within an hour of Seattle. :D

My mountain is bigger than your mountain.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/...ls.html?start=0

But we are 3 1/2 hours from Portland and 5-6 from the Seattle area.

I'm actually north of Seattle so this is the closest ski area.

So we all agree the Cascade Mtn Range is the best.... :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we all agree the Cascade Mtn Range is the best.... :D

veto. while i can fully endorse someone who drinks on every day that ends with a y, i can't allow such a person to make value judgements as stated above.....

in north america:

vail/aspen

deer valley/park city

whistler

imo

edit:

conde nast

ask men- international... i would move arlberg above zematt, bu tthey are close.

Edited by Bier Meister

veto. while i can fully endorse someone who drinks on every day that ends with a y, i can't allow such a person to make value judgements as stated above.....

in north america:

vail/aspen

deer valley/park city

whistler

imo

Skiing in Colorado and Utah are the best. What it has over Mt. Bachelor is better weather, and I think the Rockies are so beautiful. We looked to retire in Utah or Colorado but couldn't find places that were the right fit. Colorado Springs-too conservative, Denver area-too big and spread out-Boulder-too expensive-Ft. Collins-too far from skiing. I like Park City but it was too snowy for my hubby. Lowlands of Utah too dry and brown, as was western Colorado. Vail and Aspen of course too expensive and probably too pretencious for us.

i've spoken to my austrian/french/italian/german/swiss chef friends and they have told me that colorado/utah have the best snow. we have a pretty long season as well. there are some affordable homes in eagle (about 50 min from vail, 1 1/2 hrs to aspen), but understand about the airs in those towns. i love the variety i have within an hour's drive (summit county).

i have heard great things about hood and bachelor..... just hard to beat the snow we get here

• 1 month later...

well.... i stopped looking for a bit and really enjoyed being the caretaker of my daughter (just turned 1 several weeks ago).... just took a job as a sous chef at a new restaurant. northern italian backbone with other influences thrown in. honestly... most simplistic plates i have done, but everything is fresh/homemade... quality food and very reasonably priced. it's a pretty decent situation (shouldn't burn me out). i'm pretty psyched... i've started to dig back into my northern italian referrences (love learning about regional cuisine)... right now it seems that implementing a lot of what i want to do would be ambitious for the kitchen and staff.. so we'll see what impact i can have on the menu :D

well.... i stopped looking for a bit and really enjoyed being the caretaker of my daughter (just turned 1 several weeks ago).... just took a job as a sous chef at a new restaurant. northern italian backbone with other influences thrown in. honestly... most simplistic plates i have done, but everything is fresh/homemade... quality food and very reasonably priced. it's a pretty decent situation (shouldn't burn me out). i'm pretty psyched... i've started to dig back into my northern italian referrences (love learning about regional cuisine)... right now it seems that implementing a lot of what i want to do would be ambitious for the kitchen and staff.. so we'll see what impact i can have on the menu :D

congrats. :D

Hey MoMo... Whats the name of the rest.??

Congrats on the new, new job! Let me know the name so I can come down and heckle the kitchen, Az, Atomic you in??

Hey MoMo... Whats the name of the rest.??

Congrats on the new, new job! Let me know the name so I can come down and heckle the kitchen, Az, Atomic you in??

any time, any place.

i can't remember the name of the place, but i believe it's on alameda and garrison (b/w wadsworth and kipling)...never been there, but looking forward to giving it a try.

couldn't find much on the place, but here's one tidbit...

3/23/07

Gaslamp Grill

Supposedly the third time is the charm. For restaurants it may take a few more than that. Which is not to say that the cottage-like structure, currently home to the Gaslamp Grill in Lakewood, hasn’t housed good restaurants before. It’s just that it’s been a while, and none of the former occupants, including Garrison Street Station, Garrison Street, and Garrisons, really soared.

Only time will tell, of course, whether the Gaslamp Grill will ultimately sink or swim, but it has a lot going for it that’s been sorely lacking in previous incarnations.

If you ate dinner there in the past, you know that the building was extremely dated, and the attempts by previous owners to gussy the place up amounted to little more than putting lipstick on a pig. The dark ceiling was way too low. The booths, that looked homemade, were tiny and cramped—if you had a bit of girth about you they were downright non-user-friendly. Until the last ownership change, there were no windows. And, whether it was actual grime or just general wear and tear, the place felt dirty.

All that’s changed now. The booths are gone, replaced with comfy tables—mostly four-tops. The ceiling couldn’t be raised, so the new owners did the next best thing, and dropped the floor by six inches—a floor, by the way, that is now covered with oak flooring, and intervening walls have been eliminated, giving the restaurant a more spacious feel. In short, from a physical standpoint, we’re dealing with a whole new room.

The menu at the Gaslamp offers plenty of variety, and more than a few really intriguing dishes. For example, appetizer selections include a crab and cheese blend baked on French bread, Asian-style baked oysters and Thai style spareribs with a chili barbecue sauce and a cilantro-yogurt dipping sauce. The plump mussels we ordered came swimming in a mild sauce of coconut milk and red Thai curry. We could have stopped right there, and just completed our meal with lots of bread to mop up the remaining sauce.

Entrees include a number of pasta dishes, as well as a nice assortment of seafood, pork, chicken, and beef. All of the pasta at the Gaslamp is house made, so we had to try one. Selecting among the goat-cheese-stuffed tortelli, gnocchi baked in a Gorgonzola sauce, and fettuccini with sautéed mushrooms and garlic, we opted for the pappardelle in a traditional Bolognese sauce of of veal, beef and pork. The flavor was simply superb. This may be the best Bolognese I’ve had. Certainly the best we’ve had in a long time.

The non-pasta selections include items like pan-seared scallops with a pesto risotto and a shrimp buerre blanc sauce, beef shortribs with a molasses-bourbon glaze, and Alaskan halibut in a red curry broth. We opted for the pork tenderloin, fork-tender, crusted in a tasty blend of fresh herbs, and served on a bed of creamy polenta.

When you put it all together, the Gaslamp Grill has a lot going for it—upbeat décor, a snappy new menu, great service, affordable pricing in the high teens, and ample parking. And they’re in a part of town which has desperately needed a restaurant of this caliber.

Gaslamp Grill, 9199 W. Alameda (northeast corner of Alameda and Garrison), 303-233-2346

well.... i stopped looking for a bit and really enjoyed being the caretaker of my daughter (just turned 1 several weeks ago).... just took a job as a sous chef at a new restaurant. northern italian backbone with other influences thrown in. honestly... most simplistic plates i have done, but everything is fresh/homemade... quality food and very reasonably priced. it's a pretty decent situation (shouldn't burn me out). i'm pretty psyched... i've started to dig back into my northern italian referrences (love learning about regional cuisine)... right now it seems that implementing a lot of what i want to do would be ambitious for the kitchen and staff.. so we'll see what impact i can have on the menu :doh:

I suggest grilled horse. (I had grilled horse in a tiny little restaurant near Lugano once and it was delicious.)

Consider checking out the menu's from "grotto's" in the northern lakes region.

And congrats!!! :tup::D

And send me some sample Barolos from the wine list so that I can make sure that they are ok. :D

thanks. sounds like we will be changing the menu up a bit and chef wants input :D so far he has liked a a lot of ideas and shook me off on a few..... we offer a cheese plate.... i thought it would be nice to offer a variety of soft, med, hard italian cheese that are fresh and rippened. i also suggested doing it as a meat and cheese plate and getting a hold of misc regional cured meats....... he wasn't keen on that. we get a lot of older customers, who he says do not have developed palattes...plus i don't think we sell a lot of them.... i want to give it a stronger regional backbone than what he is currently doing. none the less, the food is very good..... and even after getting a little thumping tonight, i am having a lot of fun..... very interesting being part of a restaurant just getting off the ground.

thanks. sounds like we will be changing the menu up a bit and chef wants input :D so far he has liked a a lot of ideas and shook me off on a few..... we offer a cheese plate.... i thought it would be nice to offer a variety of soft, med, hard italian cheese that are fresh and rippened. i also suggested doing it as a meat and cheese plate and getting a hold of misc regional cured meats....... he wasn't keen on that. we get a lot of older customers, who he says do not have developed palattes...plus i don't think we sell a lot of them.... i want to give it a stronger regional backbone than what he is currently doing. none the less, the food is very good..... and even after getting a little thumping tonight, i am having a lot of fun..... very interesting being part of a restaurant just getting off the ground.

Congrats and good luck! :D

thanks all.

some of you know that about 2 months ago my doc told me that my cholesterol was pretty high. to be honest, back in the day (when i was actually in good shape) i know i ate worse then than how i do these days. having a little one tends to make you want to stretch your years out a little more (especially being a slightly older father).... so i began eating much better... darn shame as i love my butter and cream sauces, ribs, etc..... virtually kept my proteins to chicken and fish- i believe i had a small amount of meals that had beef, but watched the technique in which they were prepared. i hadn't entirely given up booze, but really stuck to red wine. doc also put me on zocor.

.... it all worked. at very healthy levels accross the board and dropped about 5-10 lbs. so.... not going to go crazy, but am looking forward to my occational saltimboccas and burgers...... but, a lot of those rich dishes that i loved are less desirable.

Edited by Bier Meister

:D

mutually agreed to part ways...... i was putting in way too many hours for the salary and he wanted someone to do more, despite complimenting my work ethic and knowledge. left on very good terms...

• 3 weeks later...

so.... i was getting a bit frustrated with the denver market- in managment positions you give up you life (and pay is still so-so), or they want to hire at entry level. i felt that if i go mngmt, i wanted more for the sacrifice of family..... if not i was thinking part time..... but couldn't get shifts off that i wanted. i started broadening my search to include wine related jobs to try to gain some knowledge on the sales side. one of the places i contacted is a liquor store (i wanted to conduct tastings)..... i go in to talk to them on wed. find out they are trying to change the concept of "wine store." they want to create a lounge/tavern and provide an atmosphere where someone can relax, study, work by the fireplace and spend some time tasting misc wines available..... "starrbucks of wine bars." the tavern will target happy hour and feature small plates specifically designed to pair with the wines. they want to be able to hold misc pairings, events, special groups, classes (ie: a night in piedmont, corporate functions, etc). i have zero experience selling wine or working retail (i am not worried about either)... they want to groom me into being a culinary laison..... so long term plans for me to contribute to menu development, running events, and doing those nightly tastings you often see..... anyway, most important part is that i can get my sundays and mondays off. couldn't sleep last night thinking about regional food and wines... and flavors of wines from those regions... i am pretty psyched about this... i start on tuesday

Edited by Bier Meister