[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006-07 Bowl W-L Records - Conference Teams

KevinL

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very happy with the Big East. They were favored in all their Bowl games, but there are a lot of teams that were favored and lost. I wish the BE had better tie-ins, it hurt us that Navy was eligible and took the Meineke Car Care Bowl from us. I just hope they get more respect coming into next season. It will be interesting to see where the 3 Big East teams end up in the final rankings.

This year really showed me how amazing college football could be, please keep it up RU.

One simple solution would be to require a team to play two non conference games per year against a team ranked in the BCS top 30 within the last 3-5 years to be eligible. If nothing else, we'd be given a better indication of the relative strengths of the conferences because there would be a more complete sample to judge by. If you want to make sure you're bowl eligible and just schedule cupcakes to make sure you go 4-0 out of conference, that's great. But if you somehow manage to run the table, you can't cry about being left out the big game.

Yes this is a very simple solution, if your goal is to maintain the big 5's monopoly. However, as a college football fan, I am sick and tired of too much being decided by people promoting their own self-interest, with no regard for the game. We added a 12th game to the schedule this year, anyone care to make a list of what team was added last to the schedule of teams from the big 5? Boise State plays the schedule they play; because that is the best schedule they can play. Team from the big 5 have no desire or incentive to play Boise St, and they refuse to do it.

I have been a UT fan all my life, but I am sick and tired of the system. Alabama throws 4 Mil a year at a coach, because they are desperate to win, and because they are an “in” team that can generate the money. So now Stoops will get an automatic raise, then Brown will get an raise, and they we keep sitting down at the table, spending our money, and eating the turd they plop on our plate, just because they tell us it is Prime Rib.

Dollar for Dollar, Boise St. is far and away better than any team in the Big 5. Keeping in mind, that UT and OU pay their head coach close to what the total budget is for Boise St’s whole football program.

Iowa was a 6-6 team (Big Tens 9th place team), going against the Big 12's #3 (really #2) team, a 9 point dog, and playing on the road. If that makes the Big Ten terrible then I guess the Big Ten is terrible. They still got there top 4 teams to go. Ohio State is way too deep for Florida to handle, and already played there national championship game, Michigan vs USC is gonna be good, I think it's a toss up there. I don't think Arkansas can handle the power running game of Wisky. Only real game I'm VERY concerned about is Penn State vs Tennessee. But the vols aren't exactly great, and PSU's stingy D will give them a chance, plus Paterno is a pretty good bet in Bowl games.

Congrats, Iowa did themselves proud. I almost wish they would have won. I am so sick of the blah blah blah rhetoric that comes out fo Browns mouth, and his "I want everyone to feel good" attitude I could puke. He makes almost 3 Mil a year; I think he should expect to have to make hard decisions. He calls Akina a "Co" Defensive Coordinator so he can "feel" good about himself, and the Thorpe award winner looks like crap, along with most of that defense.

I'm very happy with the Big East. They were favored in all their Bowl games, but there are a lot of teams that were favored and lost. I wish the BE had better tie-ins, it hurt us that Navy was eligible and took the Meineke Car Care Bowl from us. I just hope they get more respect coming into next season. It will be interesting to see where the 3 Big East teams end up in the final rankings.

This year really showed me how amazing college football could be, please keep it up RU.

Big East did everything they could in the bowl games. It's just ashame that people like me did not even get to watch Rutgers due to being on the NFL network. That was actually one team I was looking forward to watching against a high profile school. Don't think we learned much by them playing whoever they played I think Kansas State.

Big East did everything they could in the bowl games. It's just ashame that people like me did not even get to watch Rutgers due to being on the NFL network. That was actually one team I was looking forward to watching against a high profile school. Don't think we learned much by them playing whoever they played I think Kansas State.

Most of my friends were furious that we played against K-State and on the NFL Network. I was very impressed to see how dedicated their fanbase was and they were great people. It was a great atmosphere to be in... but the game was not very competitive. BUT it was our 1st ever bowl victory, which we needed more than anything. All we have to do is win the Big East next year, we were 1 catch away from doing that this year against WVU.

RU (10-2) vs KSU (7-5)

Score - 37 to 10

Total yards - 479 to 162

Rusing - 211 to 31

Passing - 268 to 131

Turnovers - 0 to 3

Plus we missed 2 easy fieldgoals (27 and 36)

Yes this is a very simple solution, if your goal is to maintain the big 5's monopoly. However, as a college football fan, I am sick and tired of too much being decided by people promoting their own self-interest, with no regard for the game. We added a 12th game to the schedule this year, anyone care to make a list of what team was added last to the schedule of teams from the big 5? Boise State plays the schedule they play; because that is the best schedule they can play. Team from the big 5 have no desire or incentive to play Boise St, and they refuse to do it.

That's not true. As Rocker pointed out, LSU scheduled Fresno St. a few years back when they were the next up and coming thing. Unfortunately, because these schedules can be made so far in advance, by the time they got around to playing it, Frenso sucked.

Actually, teams would be lining up to play the likes of Boise St, BYU, TCU, etc. because they'd be banking on that very thing. The rule would stipulate that the team has to have been ranked in the top 30 within the last few years. So TCU finishes 20 or something in 2006 and a big school lines them up for '09. If they've fallen off by then it wouldn't be held against the school that played them because they were top 30 recently enough. Of course, that could still count against you in the eyes of the voters if you ended up with the same record as someone who beat some teams that were actually good that year. But I would imagine that fringe schools would get a lot of attention from the major programs if this rule was put into play.

Most of my friends were furious that we played against K-State and on the NFL Network.

I think that was the biggest crime of the bowl season. Six weeks ago, we're talking what ifs and the NC game, next thing you know, they're playing K-State. I thought they did enough to prove they weren't a middle of the pack team but that's exactly what they got treated like.

as we found out, you have to play the game, and they did and went undefeated in 4 bowls. Maybe they are better than advertised. After seeing Boise, Im convinced they would go undefeated in the Pac- 10 and SEC West.

:bash: That would mean that the Sooners could beat USC, Oregon, UCLA and Cal :D:D

Edited by theprofessor

That's not true. As Rocker pointed out, LSU scheduled Fresno St. a few years back when they were the next up and coming thing. Unfortunately, because these schedules can be made so far in advance, by the time they got around to playing it, Frenso sucked.

I recall seeing that game on our schedule and was excited about playing them. They were a team that always gave USC trouble. No question Fresno had to be disappointed with their performance this year against LSU losing 38-6. Their coach was embarrassed and apologized for their performance. He knew it hurt his program big time down the road from getting other SEC schools to schedule them and that hurts Fresno's pocketbook.

Dollar for Dollar, Boise St. is far and away better than any team in the Big 5. Keeping in mind, that UT and OU pay their head coach close to what the total budget is for Boise St’s whole football program.

You bring up a good point: let's consider the 'ROI', or the 'ratio of $ spent/per prestigious win'. In this case I agree that the Broncos win hands down, followed by Rutgers, Louisville, and others. Non-BCS schools and smaller BCS schools would have a big advantage in these calculations, and ND looks worse and worse...

If we have a 12 team playoff, then all the teams in the BCS would get a shot at the NC, and it wouldnt matter SOS for the top 4 or 5 teams. So a team like Boise could win it all, the one year they are great. Instead of getting beat the next yr and people saying see, they lost to such and such they would have lost to such and such last yr as well.

Think most will agree that the Big East is a good conference. Sure they wish they could have demonstrated it by playing bowl games against more high profile teams.

Don't you think they would have liked to?

The BCS is about $ and teams that get good ratings,not about match-ups.

Notre Dame being a prime example.

:D

If we have a 12 team playoff, then all the teams in the BCS would get a shot at the NC, and it wouldnt matter SOS for the top 4 or 5 teams. So a team like Boise could win it all, the one year they are great. Instead of getting beat the next yr and people saying see, they lost to such and such they would have lost to such and such last yr as well.

Here we go Sarge pumping of Boise State? :D

Louisville vs. Wake Forest is another example that proves what you are saying is correct.

That was a game where the BCS had zero choice on who they could select.

I'm fairly certain that either Rutgers or even WVU would have been a better match-up for LSU than Notre Dame.

But that wouldn't have been as good for the ratings.

Edit for brain cramp-I meant Rutgers

Edited by Sox

You bring up a good point: let's consider the 'ROI', or the 'ratio of $ spent/per prestigious win'. In this case I agree that the Broncos win hands down, followed by Rutgers, Louisville, and others. Non-BCS schools and smaller BCS schools would have a big advantage in these calculations, and ND looks worse and worse...

Does Louisville really belong in that group? If nothing else, it appears they've sold their soul to build a strong program by lowering their academic and ethical standards about as low as anyone in the NCAA when it comes to recruits.

I personally don't have the stats to back that assertion up but will differ to a guy locally who is a fixture as a radio guest who runs a pretty stat driven college sports publication. He's a flat out geek for this type of thing and has never, to my knowledge ever been caught wrong on any of his claims. He brought it up a lot leading up to the Orange Bowl as a comparison between Wake and Louisville.

Now you want to talk about bang for the buck. Wake is the 3rd smallest school in all D-1A, let alone the BCS. They lost their starting QB and top 2 RBs this year and still managed to win their conference. Small schools aren't supposed to be able to withstand losses to key positions like that. Mind you, the ACC wasn't all that, but is likely no worse than any other conference outside the BCS and going into Tallahassee and shuting out FSU by 30 should never be taken lightly even in a down year.

Edited by detlef

Congrats, Iowa did themselves proud. I almost wish they would have won. I am so sick of the blah blah blah rhetoric that comes out fo Browns mouth, and his "I want everyone to feel good" attitude I could puke. He makes almost 3 Mil a year; I think he should expect to have to make hard decisions. He calls Akina a "Co" Defensive Coordinator so he can "feel" good about himself, and the Thorpe award winner looks like crap, along with most of that defense.

Thanks rbmc, but I am one of the VERY few Iowa fans that actually want MORE than what we've been getting for, oh, say, my life time. lol. You go 9-4 at Michigan, Texas, USC, Ohio state etc etc etc.... you're pretty much gonna be fired, you go 9-4 at Iowa and you could be governor . The expectations are so low its sickening. But some day, I believe, I will see my Hawks play for something meaningful and win. Wait til next year I guess.

That was a game where the BCS had zero choice on who they could select.

I'm fairly certain that either Rutgers or even WVU would have been a better match-up for LSU than Notre Dame.

But that wouldn't have been as good for the ratings.

Edit for brain cramp-I meant Rutgers

First off I was agreeing with your point about the BCS is all about the money. Believe the Orange bowl did have a choice? Thought they decided to take Louisville over Boise State.