[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big 10 vs SEC

theeohiostate

First off not really sure you can call Penn State a big 10. Arn't they the 11th team? :D Enough said.

Ironically Wisconsin has a slight chance of actually losing ground in the rankings after Big 10 homers self proclaimed MONSTER 3 point win. We see it happen all the time when a 6th ranked team manages to escape with a 3 point win over a much lower ranked team who finished their season with 3 consecutive losses. :D Think the oddsmakers had it right by embarrassingly annointing the 12th ranked team a 1 to 2 point favorite over the 6th ranked team.

I see both Boise State & USC jumping the Badgers in the final AP poll.

Arkansas was ranked 12th and the favorite to beat Wisconsin. Any time a dog beats a favorite it's a good win, especially when you beat a team that played in the title game of the greatest conference of all time. Monster win? Nah, don't remember ever saying that. Good win nonetheless. I do agree, USC and Boise could jump them, particularly if Florida somehow upsets Ohio State.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arkansas was ranked 12th and the favorite to beat Wisconsin. Any time a dog beats a favorite it's a good win, especially when you beat a team that played in the title game of the greatest conference of all time. Monster win? Nah, don't remember ever saying that. Good win nonetheless. I do agree, USC and Boise could jump them, particularly if Florida somehow upsets Ohio State.

Not saying the Hogs were a bad team, but the facts are Wisconsin was ranked 6th playing against a 12th ranked team coming off 2 straight losses not on the road but on a neutral field and barely won by a FG. Not exactly in impressive fashion either. Think at one point in the game the announcers said that the Badgers had run 17 plays for a negative 10 yards and no first downs over a period of like 2 quarters. The Hogs season peaked 1 second prior to kickoff against LSU in what arguable was the biggest build up in Hogs football history. I'll give credit to Wisconsin for the win, but it's certainly nothing for the Big Ten homers to be hanging their hats on.

Not hanging my "hat" on anything. Both defenses dominated the game. Outside of 3 big plays, Arkansas only put together one meaningful drive, and had some of the most glorious field position I've ever seen, and only came away with 7 points. It's not like Arkanasas dominated the game. Both defenses controlled the game. And your oddsmakers, the same ones that you believe should determine #1 and #2 instead of the BCS, had them favored to win. An underdog beating a favorite. The weak little Big Ten team beating the SEC West Champion from the greatest conference in the history of the world (just ask SEC homers they'll tell ya) is a good win, and there is no reason to downplay it at all. You're splitting hairs talking about rankings. Wisconsin was ranked #6 and Arkansas was ranked #12. It's irrelevant though. The two teams were evenly matched, and the game played out that way, with both d's stepping it up big time.

Not hanging my "hat" on anything. Both defenses dominated the game. Outside of 3 big plays, Arkansas only put together one meaningful drive, and had some of the most glorious field position I've ever seen, and only came away with 7 points. It's not like Arkanasas dominated the game. Both defenses controlled the game. And your oddsmakers, the same ones that you believe should determine #1 and #2 instead of the BCS, had them favored to win. An underdog beating a favorite.

Apparently from all the post I've been reading Big Ten homers are indeed hanging their hats on winning this game. Admittedly there's nothing else to hang them on, but pleeze a 1 or 1 1/2 point favorite, come on. :D

All I heard all week, not from you, or really anyone other than a couple pac 10 homers, was how the SEC teams were gonna wipe up the poor Big Ten teams. I also remember someone suggesting that Tennessee was as good as Ohio State. So when you have to listen to chirpy SEC fans about how deep and wonderful there conference is, and then they get proven wrong there is some sort of vindication.

All I heard all week, not from you, or really anyone other than a couple pac 10 homers, was how the SEC teams were gonna wipe up the poor Big Ten teams. I also remember someone suggesting that Tennessee was as good as Ohio State. So when you have to listen to chirpy SEC fans about how deep and wonderful there conference is, and then they get proven wrong there is some sort of vindication.

I think I'm the only Vols fan on this board and I never said anything of the sort. I will take the heat for saying that UT, Ark, Auburn, and LSU would win convincingly. I have, however, already conceded as much in a number of posts.

No rocker suggested that Ohio State is on the same level as Tennessee, but that was the only crazy talk I heard from any SEC fan here. On other boards, they were talking all sorts of things. Certainly the Big Ten isn't above this, I'm not suggesting that, but the Big Ten did knock off 2 of the better SEC teams, I think when it comes to the Big Ten vs SEC discussion, the Big Ten fans have a right to gloat, but none of us can say we're the better conference top to bottom. I say that's crazy talk, cuz the SEC has some pretty good mid-pack teams, where the Big Ten has Purdue, Iowa, and Minnesota, all teams with pretty poor seasons to show for.

I'll give credit to Wisconsin for the win, but it's certainly nothing for the Big Ten homers to be hanging their hats on.

So UW was damned if it lost, and now it's damned that it won?

Nice.

No rocker suggested that Ohio State is on the same level as Tennessee, but that was the only crazy talk I heard from any SEC fan here. On other boards, they were talking all sorts of things. Certainly the Big Ten isn't above this, I'm not suggesting that, but the Big Ten did knock off 2 of the better SEC teams, I think when it comes to the Big Ten vs SEC discussion, the Big Ten fans have a right to gloat, but none of us can say we're the better conference top to bottom. I say that's crazy talk, cuz the SEC has some pretty good mid-pack teams, where the Big Ten has Purdue, Iowa, and Minnesota, all teams with pretty poor seasons to show for.

Brian, was that impressive or what? Now do you believe me when I say Ohio State is lucky to be playing the Gators instead of the Tigers from LSU? :D

5-3 is pretty good; 9 total SEC teams in a bowl game. Kentucky was probably the worst of the group and they beat Clemson. UT and Arkansas laid eggs, they deserved to lose. UT was driving late to take the lead and laid the ball on the ground and Penn St. went 80 yards, a close game; Penn St. deserved to win. Arkansas lost by 3, another close game. I don't think you can draw any conclusions other than on that day, Wisconsin was better than Arkansas. And the same goes for all the other games. To say one conference is better than any other based on the play of a mid-level team matchup is crazy. 3 SEC schools were ranked higher than Arkansas. Both the SEC and Big Ten are very strong football conferences, period.

27 point victory in a BCS game? I think Ohio State might be in for a heck of a game, but then again I said it before I hate to count on a Gator to do a Tiger's work. :D

Then, until there is a playoff system, maybe the Tigers should win a 1 or 2 more games during the season.

Brian, was that impressive or what? Now do you believe me when I say Ohio State is lucky to be playing the Gators instead of the Tigers from LSU? :D

Buckeyes don't play 2 loss teams this bowl season... :D

Sorry about YOUR luck.