[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Top 25

billay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean in terms if consecutive basketball-football titles, then I would think that's probably a yes (Unless UCLA won a football championship during those 7 years)

But if you're trying to compare UF to the all time greatest collegiate sports success, then you've got a long way to go before you reach UCLA hoops or UNC women's soccer.

If you mean in terms if consecutive basketball-football titles, then I would think that's probably a yes (Unless UCLA won a football championship during those 7 years)

But if you're trying to compare UF to the all time greatest collegiate sports success, then you've got a long way to go before you reach UCLA hoops or UNC women's soccer.

agreed, I am talking about football/hoops combo. UNC women's soccer :D cmon.

A different time and era with Wooden - it will never come close to happening again, and as incredible a coach as he was, he could not come cose to duplicating that in todays game and country-wide talent, parity.

Florida has become the most dominate NCAA team in the country as far as football/hoops, which is all that really matters anyway.

Florida has become the most dominate NCAA team in the country as far as football/hoops, which is all that really matters anyway.

Granted, Florida won last year, and has a strong team this year, but aren't quite yet enough of a perrennial power to be declared the all-time greatest football/hoops power IMO.

Granted, Florida won last year, and has a strong team this year, but aren't quite yet enough of a perrennial power to be declared the all-time greatest football/hoops power IMO.

All-time? Please show me where I made that claim? Right now, currently they are- and are the best that I think of in my lifetime as far as football/baseltball.

All-time? Please show me where I made that claim? Right now, currently they are- and are the best that I think of in my lifetime as far as football/baseltball.

Well, that's what I took this to mean...

A different time and era with Wooden - it will never come close to happening again, and as incredible a coach as he was, he could not come cose to duplicating that in todays game and country-wide talent, parity.

If you are saying they are the most dominant right now well, that's a pretty easy statement to make, especially considering they just won the national championship in football 4 days ago. :D

Of course, they are looking good these days, but until they win it all again in hoops this year, I'm not totally convinced. They caught lightning in a bottle last year. It happenes, Arizona did it with Simon and Bibby in 1997.

Kentucky made the NCAA tourney as an 8 seed last year, won their first round game against UAB, and took a lead into the final two minutes vs. #1 seed UConn in the 2nd round before losing.

As for underrated teams, how about the unranked Cats? They've won 11 straight games, including a 38 point demolition of South Carolina in Columbia on Tuesday (the Gamecocks' worst home loss in 91 years,) are 4-0 in the SEC, and have lost to two top 5 teams (UCLA by 5 points in Maui and UNC by 12 in Chapel Hill) and Memphis, also in Maui (that game was a letdown after the tough loss to UCLA.) So much for tradition...the #1 College Program of all time can't even crack into the coaches poll after winning 10 straight. It's very likely that the streak will stand at 16 when Florida comes to Rupp Arena on February 10th.....the place will be insane (Lower Level tickets are selling for as much as a grand each.) With Tennessee already sporting 2 conference losses (including one to Auburn) UK and Florida will almost certainly finish 1-2 in the East Division. I've already got my seats for that game and it is highly unlikely that I will be able to speak on Sunday the 11th after screaming "Noah's gay" for 2 hours straight.

Go Cats!!

Well, that's what I took this to mean...

If you are saying they are the most dominant right now well, that's a pretty easy statement to make, especially considering they just won the national championship in football 4 days ago. :D

Of course, they are looking good these days, but until they win it all again in hoops this year, I'm not totally convinced. They caught lightning in a bottle last year. It happenes, Arizona did it with Simon and Bibby in 1997.

What AZ caught in 1997 was more like a gift in a bottle, courtesy of the officiating crew. AZ won the title game vs. Kentucky in OT despite not making ONE field goal in the extra period. I can't remember the FT disparity off the top of my head, but it was something like 51-15....despite the fact that AZ's strength was a the guard position. On top of that, Derek Anderson wasn't playing (despite having been given a clean bill of health.) Man, what could have been....if UK had won that game the 1998 win would have been a three peat.

What AZ caught in 1997 was more like a gift in a bottle, courtesy of the officiating crew. AZ won the title game vs. Kentucky in OT despite not making ONE field goal in the extra period. I can't remember the FT disparity off the top of my head, but it was something like 51-15....despite the fact that AZ's strength was a the guard position. On top of that, Derek Anderson wasn't playing (despite having been given a clean bill of health.) Man, what could have been....if UK had won that game the 1998 win would have been a three peat.

life in the NCAA tourney- you get hot, you can take it all. The best team doesn't always take home the trophy. That team was certainly not Lute's best but they did have an incredible backcourt. Takes me back to UA's team in, I think 1988 - clearly the best team in the country, and due to a 2-14 game out of Steve Kerr, somehow lost to OU in the semifinal game - Stacy effng King. Danny Manning and KU went on to win it all -

UA had I think - 4 NBA players, and Kenny Lofton

Steve Kerr

Sean Elliot

Tom Tolbert

Jud Buechelor

Kenny Lofton -

One could argue that LSU has done quite well of late. Tiger football has finished in the top 5 two years in a row, Tiger basketball had two teams in the final 4 last season, and of course the tradition of LSU baseball. Not bad.

start calling you Bayou Sarge

- LSU?? ehh - I will give you football being consistantly good ? hoops? no way - they got hot last year- but not really on the map nationally the last 5 years or so -

start calling you Bayou Sarge

- LSU?? ehh - I will give you football being consistantly good ? hoops? no way - they got hot last year- but not really on the map nationally the last 5 years or so -

Wow Bayou Sarge now that's hitting below the belt, don't you think? The only thing Sarge and I have in common is that we are both big time homers. The difference if you haven't noticed is that I live in the real world. Rarely if ever do I post total BS like Ole Sarge does. :D

Now getting back to baskets. This year's LSU team is hard to figure out. Granted they are leading the SEC West right now, but are barely squeezing out wins against the Auburns and Rebels at home. As a LSU fan I'm beginning to question if we have what it takes to compete against the better teams around the nation. Obviously the lost of Thomas to the NBA and our 3 pt shooting guard is hurting us right now. Holding out hope though that we will again catch fire when it counts most towards the end of the season.

We'll see and Geaux Tigers!

Signed,

Bayou Sarge :D

Wow Bayou Sarge now that's hitting below the belt, don't you think? The only thing Sarge and I have in common is that we are both big time homers. The difference if you haven't noticed is that I live in the real world. Rarely if ever do I post total BS like Ole Sarge does. :bash:

Now getting back to baskets. This year's LSU team is hard to figure out. Granted they are leading the SEC West right now, but are barely squeezing out wins against the Auburns and Rebels at home. As a LSU fan I'm beginning to question if we have what it takes to compete against the better teams around the nation. Obviously the lost of Thomas to the NBA and our 3 pt shooting guard is hurting us right now. Holding out hope though that we will again catch fire when it counts most towards the end of the season.

We'll see and Geaux Tigers!

Signed,

Bayou Sarge :D

Just playin Rocker- the only thang you two southern hicks have in common is being a big time homer, and working your schools into any topic, any sport, anytime....... :D

From a west coast perspective - always seems LSU has the althetes in hoops, but are never well-coached. Especially last years FF team - they were awful in fundamentals and execution.

NCAA tourney will be ridiculous - so many quality teams that can beat anyone, anytime

Just playin Rocker- the only thang you two southern hicks have in common is being a big time homer, and working your schools into any topic, any sport, anytime....... :D

From a west coast perspective - always seems LSU has the althetes in hoops, but are never well-coached. Especially last years FF team - they were awful in fundamentals and execution.

NCAA tourney will be ridiculous - so many quality teams that can beat anyone, anytime

Brady has coached the team since the departure of Dale Brown. To Brady's credit LSU was on probation for his first few years and he competed above expectations with less talent than the teams he faced. Problem with Brady then and still is today is that he can't get the LSU fan base to embrace his program. The other night they might have had 6,000 in attendance and this is a team in 1st place coming off a final 4 appearance. Can fault the guy for what he's done on the court just seems to be missing that special ingredient that puts the great coaches over the good ones.

Like you I think there are lots of good teams around the country. Heck that team from out in the northwest handled us fairly easy, yet we handled teams like A&M & CT. The most I can hope for is that we hold serve at home and win a couple on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I told you LSU was overrated. :D

You sound like my wife. :bash:

Started having serious concerns about this team after they barely got by Auburn at home. It's become pretty obvious they have no outside game. It's now official the Tigers are no longer even a bubble team for the March tourney. Biggest concern now is how this season will effect recruiting. Got to think even though they are but one season removed from the final 4 that Coach Brady will be under fire from the fans. Basically if you are going to lose at least score more than 50 something points. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading about the Mock NCAA selection process that was done with 20 members of the news media. Thee ACC got 7 teams in that mock (with Maryland just getting bumped out) and still we have 2 teams in the top 25, one of which is Dook, who will be gone come tomorrow.

I hope BC, UVA, and VT all make their way in this week, but I doubt it. UVA had won 7 in a row, but got trashed by VT.

Some goofballs actually voted for NC State last week. Talk about your Rose colored glasses. :D I bet they don't get any votes this week.

Great game out west yesterday - UA v. OU - Chase Budinger is real, real good.

Pac 10 is a lock for 6 - and I think if UW can get to .500 they have a shot at getting in.

They play at Pitt here soon- a W, or at least a tough showing will go a long way.

How 'bout those Mountaineers welcoming Ben Howland back to Morgantown! Hopefully that win will go a long way towards them making the field.