[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OSU vs Florida

theeohiostate

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, just maybe, OSU didn't look as good as they did all year because they hadn't faced an SEC D all year. Certainly Tressel has to take the heat for preparation and playcalling but when your QB has got a guy in his dish all night long, that will pretty much disrupt things. If your WRs can't get open, that may say a lot about the DBs they were facing all year. I mean, Michigan was ranked among the top in D all year but USC had no problem getting open on them. Perhaps feasting on the Iowas and Northwesterns of the world isn't the best way to get prepared for a game like this.

I understand that you can't blame a team for their competition but I did think that this could come back to bite them if things started going against them. That's the problem with not being battle tested much, you don't learn how to figure out ways to win when someone takes away what you want to do.

Now, I'm not saying that OSU's best was not good enough because that was certainly not OSU's best. However, if you don't assign at least some of that to the fact that Florida didn't allow OSU to be their best, you're missing the point entirely.

If you watched the OSU-Mich game you saw much of the same. Smith was pressured quite a bit during the game. Probably not quite as much as last night, but the OSU offensive game plan was different against Mich. They used a lot of WR spreads, which they abandoned last night. Not sure if that was because of missing Ginn or not, but they still should have spread the FL D out just like they did Michigan ... didn't happen. Too say that OSU's offense can't get it done against a top D is rediculous because they did it against Mich. For anyone to say that OSU was firing on all cylinders last night is crazy. I will grant you that some of it had to do with FL's D ... but not all of it, tell me who you could see visibly showed they wanted to win on OSU's sideline other than Smith.

The playcalling was obvious as heck last night. OSU rarely ran the ball outside of the I-formation. It didn't take a genius to figure out when they were going to run. Again, that was not the case in the Michigan game. I am not sure what the difference is, but I would think it would be bad gameplanning as well as bad execution ... mainly on the o-line, and wr's.

save it, please.

make this quick since your obiviously clueless- obviously Ginn Jr. is a phenom athlete. The Big 10 was bad this year- and Mich OSU showed it clearly. They were overmatched, by faster, more athletic squads on both sides of the ball. You guys need to show some humility, one thing to have Mich/OSU lose hard fought 24-20 games. - but this was embarassing

but anyone who actually knows the game can clearly see they were overmatched by FLA. me, and others have said it all year- Big 10 speed just doesn't match up with the real athletic teams whetehr it be SEC, USC, whoever.

I am not a Big 10 hater, I have no preference whether it be SEC or Big 10. I call it like I see it- The Big was awful, this year from top to bottom. The strength of the SEC was pretty obvious.......

I don't know what color glasses you wacthed this game thru - but get real.

They sure were awful ... 3 teams in the Top 10 of the end of year rankings ... that is pretty pathetic. 4 in the Top 25. Just rediculous. They should pack it in. :D

I don't think that the Big Ten was overall better than SEC, and I have never said so. But to say that OSU and Michigan were not as good as advertised because they were off their game when it was on the line is a stinky pile of manure. Do they have weaknesses, obviously, but yer schtick is off base.

If you watched the OSU-Mich game you saw much of the same. Smith was pressured quite a bit during the game. Probably not quite as much as last night, but the OSU offensive game plan was different against Mich. They used a lot of WR spreads, which they abandoned last night. Not sure if that was because of missing Ginn or not, but they still should have spread the FL D out just like they did Michigan ... didn't happen. Too say that OSU's offense can't get it done against a top D is rediculous because they did it against Mich. For anyone to say that OSU was firing on all cylinders last night is crazy. I will grant you that some of it had to do with FL's D ... but not all of it, tell me who you could see visibly showed they wanted to win on OSU's sideline other than Smith.

The playcalling was obvious as heck last night. OSU rarely ran the ball outside of the I-formation. It didn't take a genius to figure out when they were going to run. Again, that was not the case in the Michigan game. I am not sure what the difference is, but I would think it would be bad gameplanning as well as bad execution ... mainly on the o-line, and wr's.

#1) I specifically said that we were not looking at OSU's best. So why, in your rebuttal, do you bother to mention that anyone who thinks that was OSU's best effort is crazy?

#2) Gee, so you'll grant me that some of the fact that an offense that hadn't really faced anyone not later exposed as not being all that on D was mysteriously held to about 20% of their usual output had something to do with the ball-hawking, speedy, and strong D they were facing that night. How big of you.

#3) Can we officially put an end to the manner in which coaching is separated from the team? OSU is a whole bunch of players plus a guy with a red vest and his assistants. That's the whole package. You wouldn't say, OSU was better but for the fact that they couldn't block or tackle, so why is poor preparation or play calling some mysterious outside influence like officiating or a gust of wind that blows a FG wide. It's not like OSU has done well despite Tressel, he's been given mad props for being the guy who finally ended the Michigan curse and coached them to an upset NC win in '03.

Note, I'm actually not laying #3 on you because you've actually mentioned that execution was also to blame.

#2) Gee, so you'll grant me that some of the fact that an offense that hadn't really faced anyone not later exposed as not being all that on D was mysteriously held to about 20% of their usual output had something to do with the ball-hawking, speedy, and strong D they were facing that night. How big of you.

I think you missed my point or I didn't make it clearly. OSU "exposed" Michigan's D. Using spread sets and a lot of shotgun formations. That is exactly what OSU's D couldn't handle last night. It is exactly what OSU's offense failed to do. They did not use many spread sets as they did against Mich. There is no excuse other than OSU did not set up to the challenge, but I believe they could have made it a more interesting game if they had shown any desire to win at all.

Jeezus H Chavez- enough of this drivel- you name the Big 10 and Big 12 N ahead of the Pac 10 - effing clueless go back to the NFL posts- you usually know your sh1t - but enough of this garbage- The Pac 10 is clearly ahead of the SLow 10 and Little 12, and it is not even close- get yer head out of the hearltand.

For all the lip the Big Ten gets for being "the Big 2 and the Little 9", the Pac-10 is "USC, maybe Cal and then a bunch of other teams."

For all the lip the Big Ten gets for being "the Big 2 and the Little 9", the Pac-10 is "USC, maybe Cal and then a bunch of other teams."

just not true - once again, I firmly believe the Big is normally very strong thruought. Not this year- it was awful. The Pac 10 was unusually tough from 3- 10, with many more wins vs. quality teams than the Big 10 -

minus Stanford the Pac on a whole was solid, and had tough games week in and week out- not as good as the SEC obviously-

ask USC - I guranteee much like FLA and the SEC..... played tougher teams than Mich in conference- sh1t I watched em play WSU and UA, both were more on their level athletically, and physically than the fat, slow cornfed behomeths from Ann Arbor.

:D

3 teams in the top 8 in the final standings..............how many in the top ten for the pac10 :D

yer a moron -

I don't care about the standings- they obviously are flawed.

USC & CAL both better than OSU/Mich, we know this much - and I think OSU takes out Wisky - ur league was garbage - be a man and admit it for phuccsssss sake

just not true - once again, I firmly believe the Big is normally very strong thruought. Not this year- it was awful. The Pac 10 was unusually tough from 3- 10, with many more wins vs. quality teams than the Big 10 -

minus Stanford the Pac on a whole was solid, and had tough games week in and week out- not as good as the SEC obviously-

ask USC - I guranteee much like FLA and the SEC..... played tougher teams than Mich in conference- sh1t I watched em play WSU and UA, both were more on their level athletically, and physically than the fat, slow cornfed behomeths from Ann Arbor.

Actually, Arizona and Washington both sucked ass in the Pac-10 as well, but who's counting right? :D

Maybe if the Pac-10 got rid of those 2 schools plus Stanford and replaced them with Boise St, Utah and Nevada, the Pac-10 would be a top to bottom conference.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I take great solace in the fact that the two most futile offensive efforts in BCS history now belong to OSU and Oklahoma. The two biggest blowhards on the board root for the two schools have laid the biggest eggs in the BCS era. Way to go, Little 10 and Terrible 12.

I take great solace in the fact that the two most futile offensive efforts in BCS history now belong to OSU and Oklahoma. The two biggest blowhards on the board root for the two schools have laid the biggest eggs in the BCS era. Way to go, Little 10 and Terrible 12.

Oklahoma would have killed OSU last night. :D

these amazing teams in the big 10 like Michigan and Ohio St both get beat like drums in their bowl games. big 10 is beyond horrific. ohio st would be 5-7 in the SEC.

Penn State beat Tennessee :D

yer a moron -

I don't care about the standings- they obviously are flawed.

USC & CAL both better than OSU/Mich, we know this much - and I think OSU takes out Wisky - ur league was garbage - be a man and admit it for phuccsssss sake

I'm glad to see that the namecalling and thinking you are right and everyone else is wrong doesn't just exist in the NFL Forum.

The Standings are flawed, but you are correct, as always. :D

I'm glad to see that the namecalling and thinking you are right and everyone else is wrong doesn't just exist in the NFL Forum.

The Standings are flawed, but you are correct, as always. :D

Yep, yer coming around. Standings are flawed, how many examples of this do you need? OSU running at #1, Mich having a legt claim at #2? all the while beating up on inferior Big 10 teams- you saw the result. The Big 10 played a weak non conference sched, and they got exposed big time. The polls are a joke.

Pretty clear that OUS/MICH were dominated and undermanned athletically and physically be superior teams.

Go back to your Roethlisberger fathead-

Yep, yer coming around. Standings are flawed, how many examples of this do you need? OSU running at #1, Mich having a legt claim at #2? all the while beating up on inferior Big 10 teams- you saw the result. The Big 10 played a weak non conference sched, and they got exposed big time. The polls are a joke.

Pretty clear that OUS/MICH were dominated and undermanned athletically and physically be superior teams.

Despite being a big 10 fan...I have to agree. our conference was overrated and the bowl games IMO proved it.

This is really not a suprise though as my Big 10 and the Pac 10 are usually overrated every year.

winning friends and influencing people :D