[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:Drool: Mac at CES launches new products

AtomicCEO

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-fr...e-jobs-keynote/

Apple TV is a direct competitor to Windows Media Center.

iPhone looks like the device of the decade. Have to agree here!!! Awesome design, awesome idea (and I'll probably wait until at least Rev 3 when the price is down and the bugs are worked out).

Edited by AtomicCEO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-fr...e-jobs-keynote/

Apple TV is a direct competitor to Windows Media Center.

iPhone looks like the device of the decade. Have to agree here!!! Awesome design, awesome idea (and I'll probably wait until at least Rev 3 when the price is down and the bugs are worked out).

:D

v2 for me...I don't think i can hold out that long :D

I dig my Treo 650 but this this looks great. Hopefully the HD size is addressed next version since 8GB is pretty small nowadays, especially when you start dumping music onto it. The OS and widgets alone would need a pretty good chunk of the drive as is.

:bash:

v2 for me...I don't think i can hold out that long :D

I dig my Treo 650 but this this looks great. Hopefully the HD size is addressed next version since 8GB is pretty small nowadays, especially when you start dumping music onto it. The OS and widgets alone would need a pretty good chunk of the drive as is.

I rarely go bleeding edge...but for this one I might...

I'm guessing KidCid didn't look.

Anything that puts audio in mpg format is a wast of time in my book and video on anything handheld is worthless as well. The idea of a non-keyboard is cool but I'll wait until it's been proven in teh marketplace. I used ot be a gadget guy but I finally wised up to the fact that I was always re-buying stuff because the stuff I bought wasn't what I really wanted, the next revision was. So I'll wait.

I'm not excited about the convergence of voice, data and video on a handheld device. They can't even get it right on the desktop yet.

Anything that puts audio in mpg format is a wast of time in my book and video on anything handheld is worthless as well.

Ahhh... a purist. :D

Fair enough. I've never minded mp3s at 128 MBps or up. Of course... my hearing isn't that great. My wife is always telling me to turn the TV down when I can barely make out what people are saying.

Makes my old PocketPC phone look like a piece of patooty. Calls were worthless with that thing. This thing looks awesome. I was a Macfanatic back in the day. I switch to the darkside years ago. Apple always has looked cooler. Hopefully this is functional as well; by that I mean hopefully the phone actually sounds like a phone. My PocketPC made everything sound like I was ordering at Wendy's.

Ahhh... a purist. :D

Fair enough. I've never minded mp3s at 128 MBps or up. Of course... my hearing isn't that great. My wife is always telling me to turn the TV down when I can barely make out what people are saying.

Unless one is listening to music with a large range of volumes within the same track (classical is like this), anyone who says they can tell the difference between an mp3 ripped at 192 MBps and a CD is full of crap.

Unless one is listening to music with a large range of volumes within the same track (classical is like this), anyone who says they can tell the difference between an mp3 ripped at 192 MBps and a CD is full of crap.

Not exactly true.

Remembering that mpg3 is a lossy compression algorithm; no matter what bit rate it was originally ripped at, the farther from the source that version is, the less data is actually there. Therefore, the less quality/integrity of the overall sound.

The thing is, there are lossless complression algorithms out there (shorten, FLAC) but for whatever reason they've never caught on.

Like everything else, most people don't give a chit about quality. They only care if something works and is cheaply priced. That's why we still have Walmarts out there.

Remembering that mpg3 is a lossy compression algorithm; no matter what bit rate it was originally ripped at, the farther from the source that version is, the less data is actually there. Therefore, the less quality/integrity of the overall sound.

The thing is, there are lossless complression algorithms out there (shorten, FLAC) but for whatever reason they've never caught on.

It's definitely compressed, but what isn't in this day and age? I can tell when DirecTV or digital cable are using too high of an MPEG compression, but I have experience in digtial video and a trained eye for it. Compression algorythms are pretty good these days to minimize their effect. Some purists think that the mere digitization of audio has an effect (squaring off the audio waves) and that CDs don't sound as good as vinyl.

I would bet that 98% of people wouldn't be able to distinguish between a 128MBps mp3 and a CD if played back to back.

Shorten and FLAC never caught on becaue a 4 minute song is like 50MB instead of 4MB. Size matters (but not to my wife).

It's definitely compressed, but what isn't in this day and age? I can tell when DirecTV or digital cable are using too high of an MPEG compression, but I have experience in digtial video and a trained eye for it. Compression algorythms are pretty good these days to minimize their effect. Some purists think that the mere digitization of audio has an effect (squaring off the audio waves) and that CDs don't sound as good as vinyl.

I would bet that 98% of people wouldn't be able to distinguish between a 128MBps mp3 and a CD if played back to back.

Shorten and FLAC never caught on becaue a 4 minute song is like 50MB instead of 4MB. Size matters (but not to my wife).

+1...

+2 to that part abotu the miss'...

I complain about video compression too, but there I don't have any choice in the matter. I can't pick and choose which television programs wouls have high compression because the Oxygen channel would be compressed at about 95%. In audio I still do. And like you, I've been involved in audio and music all my life, I can hear the difference and it bothers me. Oddly enough, I actually enjoy CD over vinyl.

I can't pick and choose which television programs wouls have high compression because the Oxygen channel would be compressed at about 95%.

I always noticed it the most when watching Six Feet Under, because mpeg compression does a really crappy job on fade-to-white. The compression gets overloaded because every pixel in the image is getting brighter at once.

Not exactly true.

Like everything else, most people don't give a chit about quality. They only care if something works and is cheaply priced. That's why we still have Walmarts out there.

1000000000000% agree and correct.

MP3 is compressed and lossy format. FLAC is an example of a lossless format and the difference is superb. You WILL NOT hear a difference on lets say an IPOD that has stereo output. You WILL hear a difference on a good home theatre/stereo system (esp 5+ channel).

So if you use it just for IPOD or small digital players that usually use poor headsets then MP3 is good. If your an audiophile then you can hear the difference and appreciate LOSSLESS alot more.

IMO I wish FLAC caught on more than the MP3 did. I would rather pay for more storage rather than having crappy compressed music blowing through my sound system at home.

BTW KidCid are there sites out there that have Lossless formats for sale like forexample Itunes sells MP3s?

Watching that video now from CES.

Apple has been sued by Nokia already for using "iPhone".

What is ironic, is that Jobs starts off by playing the Beatles... didn't Apple just finish getting sued by the Beatles record label... Apple Records?

Watching that video now from CES.

Apple has been sued by Nokia already for using "iPhone".

What is ironic, is that Jobs starts off by playing the Beatles... didn't Apple just finish getting sued by the Beatles record label... Apple Records?

actually, it's cisco that filed suit. they say they own the iphone trademark and were working with apple over the name, and apple jumped the gun.

i think the beatles/apple records settled with apple computer. there were rumors that the beatles may make their catalog available on itunes, and the choice of music at the steve jobs keynote got people speculating about that again.