[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:Drool: Mac at CES launches new products

AtomicCEO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1000000000000% agree and correct.

MP3 is compressed and lossy format. FLAC is an example of a lossless format and the difference is superb. You WILL NOT hear a difference on lets say an IPOD that has stereo output. You WILL hear a difference on a good home theatre/stereo system (esp 5+ channel).

So if you use it just for IPOD or small digital players that usually use poor headsets then MP3 is good. If your an audiophile then you can hear the difference and appreciate LOSSLESS alot more.

IMO I wish FLAC caught on more than the MP3 did. I would rather pay for more storage rather than having crappy compressed music blowing through my sound system at home.

BTW KidCid are there sites out there that have Lossless formats for sale like forexample Itunes sells MP3s?

You know, Windows Media Player 9 had links to at least one site that did this. Since I upgraded to WMP 10, I can't seem to find them. All I have is this Urge thing. Lemme check around.

Ok, found it. It's burried under Urge. It's called MusicGiants but they use a lossless version of WMA. I don't know what types of music your into, but if you like live recordings there are artists that allow sharing of these. The list is quite extensive. I find many of them available at bt.etree.org. Most of these are compressed with FLAC or Shorten.

Edited by Kid Cid

Nice It senses when vertical or horizontal too.

Sensors.

The phone does have some pretty cool features, but it's also lacking in other areas.

And the reality slowly sets in about what the iPhone is and is not. Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates. Other unfortunate realities about the device:
  • No 3G.

• No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.

• No expandable memory.

• No removable battery.

• No Exchange or Office support.

On the flip side, the fact that it can use WiFi might make up for the missing feature of 3G service, at least a little bit. :D

The phone also doesn't really need any expandable memory because it already has 8GB.

Overall, I think the most important capability left out is the use of 3G service. Could be an international failure if other international markets don't think the other features are enough to throw down $600.

You know, Windows Media Player 9 had links to at least one site that did this. Since I upgraded to WMP 10, I can't seem to find them. All I have is this Urge thing. Lemme check around.

Ok, found it. It's burried under Urge. It's called MusicGiants but they use a lossless version of WMA. I don't know what types of music your into, but if you like live recordings there are artists that allow sharing of these. The list is quite extensive. I find many of them available at bt.etree.org. Most of these are compressed with FLAC or Shorten.

Thanks kidcid I am going to look into them when I get home.

Lossless WMA is fine with me.

Do you know how much they charge per song of lossless WMA?

The phone does have some pretty cool features, but it's also lacking in other areas.

• No 3G.

• No expandable memory.

• No removable battery.

On the flip side, the fact that it can use WiFi might make up for the missing feature of 3G service, at least a little bit. :D

The phone also doesn't really need any expandable memory because it already has 8GB.

Overall, I think the most important capability left out is the use of 3G service. Could be an international failure if other international markets don't think the other features are enough to throw down $600.

Yes but it's a good start. Other companies should steal borrow many of the features and it may start a new type of phone elsewhere. I'll wait for later apple phones before buying.

Thanks kidcid I am going to look into them when I get home.

Lossless WMA is fine with me.

Do you know how much they charge per song of lossless WMA?

No, I've only done a cursory look at the site.

I read this thread and am glad for it. I feel that much less a nerd because I don't know what the affectionate any of you are blabbering on about.

On a side note the new iPhones look pretty damn cool & if they do what they say they do then I'll have one in my pocket when the price comes down.

I dont see no memory expansion as a flaw since they do give 8gb on board.

No removable battery doesn't bother me as long as the battery is good which it might be. If its good then I prefer it.

No exchange or office support sucks!

And I can see how 3g may bother some.

I wish I had the moolah to buy and test one

• No 3G.

• No expandable memory.

• No removable battery.

I could have sworn he said there was a slot on top for a memory card.

And I'm not sure that other stuff is accurate either. No wifi syncing?

• No 3G.

• No expandable memory.

• No removable battery.

I think time will prove these points to be minimal. Truly, the only large hurdle I see here is the lack of a removable battery, and that is something I would expect to see corrected quickly.

3G...I can't say anything about that except that if this thing sells tremendously well, but in some countries the lack of 3G is holding it back, that will get into the feature list quickly.

If the device runs OS X, then it has the capacity to run apps that OS X runs. That would include office. Perhaps it's not available immediately, but I would be surprised if it didn't develop quickly.

Bluetooth syncing should be available with your host machine, so wifi sync should be no concern.

Removable storage...39 minutes into the keynote he mentions a place for a sim card, but there is no information on that in the tech specs on line.

If the device runs OS X, then it has the capacity to run apps that OS X runs. That would include office. Perhaps it's not available immediately, but I would be surprised if it didn't develop quickly.

Bluetooth syncing should be available with your host machine, so wifi sync should be no concern.

Bingo. Last year, Apple put software developers on notice to start building their apps resolution-free, this is most likely the reason why. The potential is there to run any application on the phone that you run on your tower/book/imac.

Yes but it's a good start. Other companies should steal borrow many of the features and it may start a new type of phone elsewhere. I'll wait for later apple phones before buying.

This is true. I'm actually hoping this phone creates more competition, because in the business world competition drives innovation and higher quality products. It will be interesting to see how other phone companies adapt to the new technology that the iPhone brings to the table. Gotta love the ability to use WiFi. :D

OK, so Cingular has an exclusive multi-year contract to be the only carrier for these new phones... if you do not already have Cingular as you carrier, is this product cool enough to get you to make the switch?

Interestingly, Cingular marketing efforts in Boston have really stepped up...

OK, so Cingular has an exclusive multi-year contract to be the only carrier for these new phones... if you do not already have Cingular as you carrier, is this product cool enough to get you to make the switch?

Not for me, even if I was wowed by it. Cingular just sucks.