[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barbaro

Hugh-mongus

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact of the matter is that breakdowns happen in horse racing every day. Most of these breakdowns are in the lower ranks of claimers that make up over 90% of all races that are run. The type of serious injury that Barbaro suffered would have been a no brainer for any track vet.

It is very short sighted to think that the owners, trainers, jockeys, hot walkers, excercise riders etc. don't get an emotional attachment to these animals. True, they are a way for these people to make money, but to say it is 100% about money is just not true.

For the record, I feel that the over exposure of this has gotten a bit out of hand...very much over the top.

But, for those of us that follow the sport, he was a champion, winning every race he ran, with the exception of the one he broke down. Each year, there is only one Kentucky Derby champion, and you only get one shot at it. If it was all about the money, they could have made millions upon millions if they retired him after that race.

Was I sad? Yes and no. It's too bad he got put down, but I'm pretty immune to the whole dark aspect of that sport by now.

I'm not sure what is funnier.

Grits making himself look like a complete tool or Irish blowing his whistle as the grand marshal of the anti grits parade. :D

:D

I'm not sure what is funnier.

Grits making himself look like a complete tool or Irish blowing his whistle as the grand marshal of the anti grits parade. :D

I must admit I find it humorous how desperately my little groupie, Irish, wants my attention. Trying again and again to get some kind of response from me. Hasn't he learned yet? He's on my ignore list which means I no longer read anything he writes, which obviously does not preclude me from posting on his threads to remind him that I am still not reading any of his posts.

when a poster says they are done with a thread and then repeatedly keep coming back and posting in it...well, I think that's the same thing as putting someone on ignore and then posting that they are ignoring that person after every post that person makes.

when a poster says they are done with a thread and then repeatedly keep coming back and posting in it...well, I think that's the same thing as putting someone on ignore and then posting that they are ignoring that person after every post that person makes.

Get the hell out of here with your logic!

We can all learn a lot from this thread.

Mostly that here at the huddle, for every jerk there's a hundred wise asses.

Who are you Mike Brady ?

Who are you Mike Brady ?

I was merely pointing out that by examining the inner essence of something, you can see how much two things that may appear very different, are actually very much alike.

And again, I blame this entire thread on DMD.

I was merely pointing out that by examining the inner essence of something, you can see how much two things that may appear very different, are actually very much alike.

And again, I blame this entire thread on DMD.

I blame this thread on Michael Vick's inability to throw a pass.

That was some pretty sweet insight on your part!!! Although, I love chatting with you fellas that have common sense and that's why I returned, I am avoiding to post after some others. :D

The fact of the matter is that breakdowns happen in horse racing every day. Most of these breakdowns are in the lower ranks of claimers that make up over 90% of all races that are run. The type of serious injury that Barbaro suffered would have been a no brainer for any track vet.

It is very short sighted to think that the owners, trainers, jockeys, hot walkers, excercise riders etc. don't get an emotional attachment to these animals. True, they are a way for these people to make money, but to say it is 100% about money is just not true.

For the record, I feel that the over exposure of this has gotten a bit out of hand...very much over the top.

But, for those of us that follow the sport, he was a champion, winning every race he ran, with the exception of the one he broke down. Each year, there is only one Kentucky Derby champion, and you only get one shot at it. If it was all about the money, they could have made millions upon millions if they retired him after that race.

Was I sad? Yes and no. It's too bad he got put down, but I'm pretty immune to the whole dark aspect of that sport by now.

:D:D

The voice of reason speaks. Of course owners and jockeys, etc can get emotionally attached to their animals. Only an idiot could think otherwise.