[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

YouTube Videos

keggerz

Haven't gone through the whole thread, but this is one of my favorites;

That was flat-out painful to watch. Then all of a sudden, "He passes it to the man, shoots and boom goes the dynamite." :wacko:

Who posted in: YouTube Videos

Poster Posts

whitem0nkey 50

polksalet 38

TheGrunt 23

Chargerz 19

irish 18

tonorator 12

loaf 12

keggerz 9

CarryTheRock 9

Riffraff 9

Rockerbraves 8

Furd 7

evil_gop_liars 7

dabuffbills 7

Egret 6

DMD 6

max 5

wcd480 5

Chavez 5

SheikYerbuti 5

Codwagon 4

zmanzzzz 4

rajncajn 4

chiefjay 4

Yukon Cornelius 4

Pope Flick 4

SuperBalla 4

Skrappy1 3

'canes2004 3

Timmypg 3

Azazello1313 3

Big Talker 3

Vote Quimby2 3

HowboutthemCowboys 3

PantherDave 3

TimC 3

Cunning Linguist 2

Coffeeman 2

10g_DBA 2

rocknrobn26 2

broncosn05 2

CaP'N GRuNGe 2

Jimmy Neutron 2

AtomicCEO 2

Hitman 2

Trots 2

WaterMan 2

Puddy 2

cre8tiff 2

SeductiveNun 2

Donutrun Jellies 1

MuddyPaws 1

westhemess2 1

The Holy Roller 1

ChuckB 1

isleseeya 1

driveby 1

BeeR 1

KICK A$$ BLASTER 1

budlitebrad 1

Gunther 1

jetsfan 1

tbimm 1

darin3 1

Easy n Dirty 1

Menudo 1

Ramhock 1

skins 1

TitansFan 1

Hugh-mongus 1

Def. 1

joethin 1

Seattle LawDawg 1

crispirons 1

Savage Beatings 1

Jumpin Johnies 1

Vinatieri Is God 1

Kid Cid 1

huskers-n-golf 1

Donny Kerabatsos 1

Ralph Furley 1

i_am_the_swammi 1

H8tank 1

alexgaddis 1

Ursa Majoris 1

Chief Dick 1

myhousekey 1

Dutch Oven 1

Thews40 1

The Hubble in trouble

The European version.

Good old USA version showing how the astronauts train for this mission. Watch this and try and grasp the combined knowledge of all of these smart people from an engineering perspective.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/804226

Link to a Cosmic Origins Spectrograph

http://www.stsci.edu/hst/cos

So I thought this was really cool. The new camera on the Hubble will have 10 times more resolution than the old one. Remember the previous Hubble screwups with quality control?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

Flawed mirror

Within weeks of the launch of the telescope, the images returned showed that there was a serious problem with the optical system. Although the first images appeared to be sharper than ground-based images, the telescope failed to achieve a final sharp focus, and the best image quality obtained was drastically lower than expected. Images of point sources spread out over a radius of more than one arcsecond, instead of having a point spread function concentrated within a circle 0.1 arcsec in diameter as had been specified in the design criteria.[15] More details can be seen in graphs showing the mis-figured PSFs, as compared to post-correction and ground based PSFs.

Analysis of the flawed images showed that the cause of the problem was that the primary mirror had been ground to the wrong shape. Although it was probably the most precisely figured mirror ever made, with variations from the prescribed curve of no more than 1/20 of the wavelength of light, it was too flat at the edges. The mirror was barely 2.3 micrometres out from the required shape, but the difference was catastrophic, introducing severe spherical aberration, a flaw in which light reflecting off the edge of a mirror focuses on a different point from the light reflecting off its center.

The effect of the mirror flaw on scientific observations depended on the particular observation - the core of the aberrated PSF was sharp enough to permit uniquely high-resolution observations of bright objects, and spectroscopy was largely unaffected. However, the loss of light to the large out of focus halo severely reduced the usefulness of the telescope for faint objects or high contrast imaging. This meant that nearly all of the cosmological programs were essentially impossible since they required observation of exceptionally faint objects. NASA and the telescope became the butt of many jokes, and the project was popularly regarded as a white elephant. (For instance, in one of The Naked Gun movies, the Hubble was pictured with the Titanic, the Hindenburg, and the Edsel).

Origin of the problem

Working backwards from images of point sources, astronomers determined that the conic constant of the mirror was −1.01324, instead of the intended −1.00230. The same number was also derived by analyzing the null correctors (instruments which accurately measure the curvature of a polished surface) used by Perkin-Elmer to figure the mirror, as well as by analyzing interferograms obtained during ground testing of the mirror.

A commission headed by Lew Allen, director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, was established to determine how the error could have arisen. The Allen Commission found that the null corrector used by Perkin-Elmer had been incorrectly assembled. Its field lens had then been wrongly spaced by 1.3 mm.[16]

During the polishing of the mirror, Perkin-Elmer had analyzed its surface with two other null correctors, both of which (correctly) indicated that the mirror was suffering from spherical aberration. These tests were specifically designed to eliminate the possibility of major optical aberrations. Against written quality guidelines, the company ignored these test results as it believed that the two null correctors were less accurate than the primary device which was reporting that the mirror was perfectly figured.

The commission blamed the failings primarily on Perkin-Elmer. Relations between NASA and the optics company had been severely strained during the telescope construction due to frequent schedule slippage and cost overruns. NASA found that Perkin-Elmer had not regarded the telescope mirror as a crucial part of their business and were also secure in the knowledge that NASA could not take its business elsewhere once the polishing had begun. While the commission heavily criticized Perkin-Elmer for these managerial failings, NASA was also criticized for not picking up on the quality control shortcomings such as relying totally on test results from a single instrument.[17]

Brinton Cooper <abc@BRL.MIL>

Tue, 31 Jul 90 22:53:42 EDT

RE Gene Miya's "hindsight" arguments:

I agree that complex projects have "problems" and that many (not

"every") projects involve "compromises." These are EXACTLY the reasons

for ADEQUATE and THOROUGH TESTING. The lack of testing and the

fuzzy-headed thinking that rationalized away the need for testing are

nothing new to observers of the DoD (MY employer, folks). Our systems

have been failing for years because of inadequate independent testing

and evaluation.

I wonder if there's a connection between NASA's increasingly

poor performance and the increasingly large number of ex-DoD types

working there in VERY high places?

"Lastly," we all agree that much "research" ends in "failure"

according to the uninformed definition of "success." But building the

Hubble was no research project. It was an ENGINEERING job.

Needless to say, these opinions are mine and do not constitute an official Army

position, etc, etc.

_Brint

Bryce Nesbitt <bryce@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com>

Wed, 1 Aug 90 00:21:13 EDT

Eugene N. Miya <eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov> writes:

>I worry about the "climate" for any

>research in this country, because research tends to fail 90% of the time (if

>you really need a reference for this I have it)....

>[Perkin-Elmer] is making mirrors and equipment for other project, I would

>worry about Keck for instance.

I agree with your point about research, but I view Hubble as "screwed up

research" instead of "a good try that failed". The mirror was only the latest

serious screwup. I have no inside track on Hubble; that's just an outside

impression.

The Keck mirrors have been a concern. There is a difference from Hubble,

however. Keck uses asymmetrical mirror segments. Each of the 36 segments

is a slice of the final shape. Weights are hung from each segment, the

mirror is conventionally ground, then the weights are released. All this

is very new, and very research oriented. (Perkin-Elmer is not involved,

unless it happens to own Itek, the primary mirror contractor).

Hubble's mirrors are precise, but nothing special. I find it ironic to

go back to some glowing magazine articles about how well the the mirrors

were built... they exceeded spec on several points (including reflectivity).

The builders seemed very proud.

Here’s another not so brilliant moment in engineering history.

"Sensors to detect deceleration on NASA's Genesis space capsule were installed correctly but had been designed upside down, resulting in the failure to deploy the capsule's parachutes. The design flaw is the prime suspect for why the capsule, carrying precious solar wind ions, crashed in Utah on 8 September, according to a NASA investigation board."

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2004/10/...her_stupid.html

My first job out of the Air Force was with a place called Electrac Space System Laboratories in Anaheim CA. It was a small company and they did contract work for NASA. There were about 9 NASA scientists assigned to this one section of a satellite receiving filter, and my job was to test it. This is BC back when circuit boards were laid out by hand, and these filters were all hand wired with the exact same color (fixing the wiring errors was an absolute nightmare). The boards that held the IC’s were about the size of two album covers put together. They took a long time to test, and since they were the prototypes I got to work with these scientists for a few months. At the time, they said the objective of these filters was to receive satellite signals, equivalent to measuring the heat given off of a match lit 10 miles away in total darkness. Anyway, these guys were smart, and there’s a lot of uber smart people working under intense pressure to get the next camera in. I’ll be following the mission.

Our Governor is better than your governor:

Ahnold talks about, uh, bodybuilding....

(not Youtube, if that matters)

Yup...body building, day and night. Puts a whole new meaning to the phrase, "We want to pump you up!"

• DMD unpinned this topic