[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So those with recent Drunk Driving experience

CarryTheRock

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total BS. Having a good attorney will bring you the peace of mind that you are doing everything in your power to keep your constitutional rights. What was your BAC? If it was low enough you stand a good chance, with a good lawyer, to get your charges dropped to Reckless Driving. Just remember: this will affect your life for the next 10 years, do everything in your power to minimize the damage. I speak from xp.

Depends on the state.

I haven't read any further than this. Irish, I've seen you in threads wondering why people don't like you......right here is an example. The guy is admitting that he screwed up, do you really think he needs a lecture from you ??? This is not the first time I've seen you attempt to ride in on your high horse. It is annoying.

I'm not saying drunk driving is on par with poor choices made on a message board, but CTR made a mistake and is now paying the price and being remorseful. Irish made a poor choice, apologized and is now paying the price.

---

CTR, bottom line... at very least speak to an attorney to evaluate your case. I know that many DUI attorneys are nothing short of ambulance chasers looking to make a quick buck. But if you find the right one, they can really help with the paperwork and will ensure your rights are given.

It's a horrible lesson to have to endure. The laws (ie, .08 = "drunk") are pretty stupid, but they're the laws. As others (and I believe you) have said, be modest and remorseful and pay the price (both literally and figuratively) and don't do it again. Even if it means waiting the extra half hour for a cab.

you know CTR I gotta give it to you. You haven't once tried to justify the mistake. You are taking full responsibility without even batting an eye lash. Good for you. This just means that it truely was a lapse and not a habit.

do what I said earlier though. when my friend got pinched it helped him out a lot.

Edited by cliaz

Before condemning the man I'd love to know more details. I, and I might get skewered for saying this, think our DUI laws are a joke and over the top. They've been taken to the extreme by groups like MADD because no politician wants to be "soft" on drunk driving. What did you blow? If it was anywhere near the .08 I think you're getting jobbed and have no problem with you getting an experiened DUI lawyer who can work the system to get you off. Of course, if you were upwards of the .10 mark I think you were wrong.

Keep reading...keep reading... you're almost there.

Whatever dude, I give you credit for apologizing. However, apologizing after everyone tells you what a tool you are being is an easy thing to do. Like Darin, I've bit my tongue a few times, and your original two posts really pi$$ed me off.

CTR, I really admire you for admitting to your mistake and trying to do what's right. Sometimes a person's true character comes out when they handle adversity. As for advice, I don't really have any, other than, do what ever is necessary and learn from your mistake. Best of luck to you. :D

Before condemning the man I'd love to know more details. I, and I might get skewered for saying this, think our DUI laws are a joke and over the top. They've been taken to the extreme by groups like MADD because no politician wants to be "soft" on drunk driving. What did you blow? If it was anywhere near the .08 I think you're getting jobbed and have no problem with you getting an experiened DUI lawyer who can work the system to get you off. Of course, if you were upwards of the .10 mark I think you were wrong.

Totally disagree. Getting a DUI is the easy way out. Running over a kid on the side of the road because you're drunk is what happens when a DUI goes wrong, and all too often might I add.

Totally disagree. Getting a DUI is the easy way out. Running over a kid on the side of the road because you're drunk is what happens when a DUI goes wrong, and all too often might I add.

Agreed. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. However, the limits we have are too low. The .10 that most states used to have was just right. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Find me ONE account of someone at .08 running over a kid on the side of the road. You don't see it. Whenever you read about a drunk driver in the paper they're at like .15 or .20, not .08. So treating someone who is .08 like people who are truly drunk is excessive, unwarranted, and unnecessary.

I agree that this is the best I could have gotten. Nobody was hurt, I didn't run into anything or anybody. It has opened my eyes. I'm guilty.

I agree that this is the best I could have gotten. Nobody was hurt, I didn't run into anything or anybody. It has opened my eyes. I'm guilty.

EXACTLY how I felt when it happened to me. I got what I deserved, and in the end, it could have been a lot worse.

I know there's barely any need to say this because the only jerk-off who's given you crap about this has already been piled on but none the less. Most of us fall into two categories, those who get caught driving after one or two too many and those who haven't. I'm in the restaurant biz and see plenty basically good people walk out my door on a nightly basis who'd, at very least would come closer than they'd like to blowing the limit. It's wrong, but any among us who care to throw stones...well they can shut the f up as far as I'm concerned.

This doesn't make what you did any more right and you should feel remorseful. I suppose I just wanted to jump in and tell Irish to piss off.

There appears to be plenty of good advice already offered here. Best of luck.

Edited by detlef

I know there's barely any need to say this because the only jerk-off who's given you crap about this has already been piled on but none the less. Most of us fall into two categories, those who get caught driving after one or two too many and those who don't. I'm in the restaurant biz and see plenty basically good people walk out my door on a nightly basis who'd, at very least would come closer than they'd like to blowing the limit. It's wrong, but any among us who care to throw stones...well they can shut the f up as far as I'm concerned.

This doesn't make what you did any more right and you should feel remorseful. I suppose I just wanted to jump in and tell Irish to piss off.

There has been. I appreciate what everyone has given. I know I was opening myself up to get kicked in the nuts on this and only one took the shot. I appreciate it. I never used the ignore feature until today.

Thanks again everyone for your insight. I know I have my work cut out for me and will take as much of your advice as I can afford to take.

Are those casting stones here truly without sin? I seriously doubt it. Lets' be serious and honest here at the same time...

1) Do you have any local attorney friends who can give some free advice first? As a first offense, things may be pretty cut and dried. That is, maybe a lawyer won't do any better than you can do yourself, and therefore a waste of money.

2) More importantly, get help to avoid this ever happening again. The driving drunk part, NOT the getting caught part. Its not easy - I can count the times I've felt buzzed while driving (in 24 years of driving) on one hand, but its still too many. The last time was a year ago, after 9 years of never doing it. Never been caught, but that's not the point - I felt like a total loser, but lucky too.

Not necessarily a full blown AA thing either - I think we can all agree you don't have to be an alcoholic to be an 'ocassional drunk driver', right?! I only drink socially, never at a bar, and only get buzzed maybe a couple times a year, usually at a family member's house.

So the key is promising yourself and someone else (NOT just yourself or God - it must be written and/or spoken out loud to a loved one or close friend!) that you will ALWAYS call for a ride, even when you just feel 'a little tipsy'. That .08 BAC (here in CA at least) can be a tricky, fine line. Or just crash on the couch, if its a house party....

Good luck to you, and to all of us who are honest enough here to be counting on our blessings on this topic.

Would it help if you went to one of the Judges you know well and ask his advice. Let him know you are remoreful and will take responsibility. Ask for his advice on what to do, or is this a totally bad idea?

I would avoid talking to any Judge who might possibly hear the case. Too many bad things can happen. Like others, I advise getting a lawyer.

Are those casting stones here truly without sin? Nope. I seriously doubt it. You would be correct.

Not necessarily a full blown AA thing either - I think we can all agree you don't have to be an alcoholic to be an 'ocassional drunk driver', right?! That however, would be incorrect, according to my aunt any way. An alcoholic cannot make a true determination of whether or not they are an alcoholic and actually need help. Most of the time infact they refuse to think they have a problem and do not want any help. That doesn't seem to be the case here, however, it may not be his decision to attend AA or not to and in the end could be a very insightful experience.

I know there's barely any need to say this because the only jerk-off who's given you crap about this has already been piled on but none the less. Most of us fall into two categories, those who get caught driving after one or two too many and those who haven't. I'm in the restaurant biz and see plenty basically good people walk out my door on a nightly basis who'd, at very least would come closer than they'd like to blowing the limit. It's wrong, but any among us who care to throw stones...well they can shut the f up as far as I'm concerned.

+1...most people here have driven drunk and just not gotten caught...myself included...

I forgot to add - I've also driven many times when I was honestly too tired to do so, for a variety of reasons not related to alcohol. No real stigma attached, but I can tell you I've lost a friend to this a few years ago, and I just had a fender bender last year because of this myself.

So another tip: if you are too tired, admit it and change drivers if you can. If alone, pull over and rest! Its sometimes hard to admit that the business meeting (or just getting home for dinner or your kids' ballgame) is not worth the risk. Because hey, we're not drunk, just tired. Right?! We all know the caffeine, sticking the head out the window, turning up the radio, just DON'T WORK, do they?

I laughed at the truck in the Cars movie who falls asleep on the highway because I've been there. I think we all have - but then I thought how serious this really is. But almost no one talks about it....

well, i kind of agree, but i think it kinda minimizes the seriousness of the behavior to take this "we all do it" stance. if you're talking about something like speeding, yeah, we all do it (except irish probably :D) and the unlucky ones get caught. but getting behind the wheel with a BAC close to or above .08? i would hope most of us are smart enough to avoid that, and anyone who goes ahead and does it on any sort of regular basis whatsoever seriously needs to check themselves no ifs, ands or buts about it. i'm sure it's a helluva tough fine line for you to walk in your line of business.

CTR,

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Although I've never been faced with it, I did learn early in high school not to let it ever get that far.

It might be an expesnive lesson to learn, but getting yourself a lawyer who is friendly and works with these people in the courts and already has a good working relationship with them is going to go a long way in this instance.

Good luck with it all. :D

As far as the penalty goes, it depends on your state laws and probably on the jurisdiction and/or judge.

2 of the 3 judges in the judicial district that covers the city in which I am working right now send people to jail on their first OWI offense. Most judges do not. Judges in your area may have considerable discretion.

You really need a lawyer. It is a serious offense with the potential for wide-ranging and long-lasting ramifications.

well, i kind of agree, but i think it kinda minimizes the seriousness of the behavior to take this "we all do it" stance. if you're talking about something like speeding, yeah, we all do it (except irish probably :D) and the unlucky ones get caught. but getting behind the wheel with a BAC close to or above .08? i would hope most of us are smart enough to avoid that, and anyone who goes ahead and does it on any sort of regular basis whatsoever seriously needs to check themselves no ifs, ands or buts about it. i'm sure it's a helluva tough fine line for you to walk in your line of business.

I wasn't making light of the situation or the crime. However, I do think the illegal BAC level is flirting with a level that is lower than it needs to be. In fact, I think it is very safe to say that there are a ton of people legally on the roads each day that are far more dangerous than a skilled driver with .09 BAC. Of course, that isn't the question because we all know the rules going in.

I'm also not talking about people who do this regularly. I'm talking about people who do "avoid" it. I "avoid" it but I'd be a liar if I said that I never have. I guess that was my point.