[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One for the fans of lawyers

Ursa Majoris

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure if this one is true..I remember reading about the man who was robbing a house that fell through the roof and was injured and sued the owner of the home he was robbing and won..If thats true that one is really beat. McGodtomsatan can you clarify ?

Has anyone produced a single example of a frivilous lawsuit winning yet?

"If I searched, I'd find it."

We're waiting.

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, TX, was awarded $780,000 after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. It was her own son.

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord while he was stealing the hubcaps.

Terrence Dickson was escaping through the garage of a Bristol, PA, house he had just robbed while the family was on vacation, but was trapped due to a malfunctioning automatic garage door opener. He survived for over a week on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food and then sued the homeowner for "undue mental anguish." The jury doled out half a million dollars.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, AR, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next-door neighbor's beagle. It was less than sought since the jury felt the pet may have been provoked when Williams shot at the chained animal with a pellet gun in the owner's fenced-in yard.

Kara Walton of Claymont, DE, was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses from the owner of a nightclub when she fell from the bathroom window and knocked out her two front teeth trying to avoid the $3.50 cover charge.

But... makers of Dorothy Johnson's microwave were found not liable for the death of her poodle after she attempted to dry it after a bath by putting it in for just a few minutes "on low."

:D

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, TX, was awarded $780,000 after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a furniture store. It was her own son.

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord while he was stealing the hubcaps.

Terrence Dickson was escaping through the garage of a Bristol, PA, house he had just robbed while the family was on vacation, but was trapped due to a malfunctioning automatic garage door opener. He survived for over a week on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food and then sued the homeowner for "undue mental anguish." The jury doled out half a million dollars.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, AR, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next-door neighbor's beagle. It was less than sought since the jury felt the pet may have been provoked when Williams shot at the chained animal with a pellet gun in the owner's fenced-in yard.

Kara Walton of Claymont, DE, was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses from the owner of a nightclub when she fell from the bathroom window and knocked out her two front teeth trying to avoid the $3.50 cover charge.

But... makers of Dorothy Johnson's microwave were found not liable for the death of her poodle after she attempted to dry it after a bath by putting it in for just a few minutes "on low."

Are you serious? :D

:D Wait....are you serious?

ETA: Ursa, faster on the draw this time.

Edited by bushwacked

Im not sure if this one is true..I remember reading about the man who was robbing a house that fell through the roof and was injured and sued the owner of the home he was robbing and won..If thats true that one is really beat. McGodtomsatan can you clarify ?

That one? Untrue. :D

Has anyone produced a single example of a frivilous lawsuit winning yet?

"If I searched, I'd find it."

We're waiting.

I should have been more specific...

Has anyone produced a single example of a fivilous lawsuit winning yet... that isn't from the land of make believe? :D

Just stuff I'm reading, let me know...

*Forbes magazine recently reported an incident whereby a man attempted to kill himself by jumping in front of a subway car in New York; however, having failed, he won a $650,000 judgement from New York City because the train hit him.

*Ex-student Jason Wilkins sued the University of Idaho in July of 1994 for $940,000 to pay for injuries he suffered when he fell through a third story window while mooning students. Wilkins had climbed onto a three-foot-high heater to reach the window but claimed the university should have posted warnings.

Edited by irish

How about these 2. I have no idea how the one ended but how ridiculous. :D

Cigar Insurance -- Supposedly True

A Charlotte, North Carolina man, having purchased a box of 24 rare and very expensive cigars, insured them against... fire. Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of fabulous cigars, and having yet to make a single premium payment on the policy, the man filed a claim against the insurance company.

In his claim, the man stated that he had lost the cigars in "a series of small fires." The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason: that the man had consumed the cigars in a normal fashion. The man sued, and won.

In delivering his ruling, the judge stated that the man held a policy from the company in which it was warranted that the cigars were insurable. The company, in the policy, had also guaranteed that it would insure the cigars against fire, without defining what it considered to be "unacceptable fire," and so, the company was obligated to compensate the insured for his loss. Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the judge's ruling and paid the man $15,000 for the rare cigars he had lost in "the fires."

Thankfully but how ridiculous...

However, shortly after the man cashed his check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of arson. With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case used as evidence against him, the man was convicted of intentionally burning the rare cigars and sentenced to 24 consecutive one-year prison terms.

:tup::doh::D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contraceptive Jelly

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - A woman is suing the pharmacy that sold her a popular contraceptive jelly - because she ate the stuff on toast and got pregnant anyway.

And, incredibly, many legal experts are saying she's got an excellent chance of collecting!

"The woman is a complete idiot," said one attorney who asked that we not use his name. "How bright can you be if you think eating a vaginal gel will prevent conception?

"But certain aspects of the case involve truth in labeling and false advertising issues. She may not collect but she'll make a lot of noise and trouble. People are down on lawyers anyway. They think we waste time and money on frivolous lawsuits. This isn't going to help our public relations any."

A spokesman for the unnamed mom-and-pop drugstore says he's shocked and angry that such a case could ever be taken seriously. "All she has to do is open the box and read the directions," says the spokesman. "Next thing you know someone will come after us because they couldn't stick things together with their toothpaste.

"I can just imagine some moron saying: 'It's paste, isn't it? Why can't I glue these papers onto my bulletin board?' "

But attorneys for Mrs. Chyton say she was swindled and lied to by implication and they intend to make the pharmacy pay $500,000 for the hardship the woman will have to endure.

"It says right on it 'jelly,'" says Mrs. Chyton, a former model who was once a cheerleader for a popular professional basketball team.

"And they kept it on the shelf just two aisles from the food section. I know, now, that the directions say it should be used vaginally with a condom.

"But who has time to sit around reading directions these days - especially when you're sexually aroused?

"The company should call it something else and the pharmacy shouldn't sell it without telling each and every customer who buys it that eating it won't prevent you from getting pregnant."

As bizarre as it sounds, the pharmacy could wind up losing the lawsuit. "It's hard for businesses to avoid troublesome lawsuits," said another attorney.

"With the courts bending over backwards to please consumer groups, the temper of the times is perfect for these crackpots to bring legal action against businesses - even a moronic legal action like this."

Yeah! What about the other 50% that is only probably bullschitt! Answer THAT, bushwacked! :D

I'm not challenging if it is or isn't. I'm pretty bad at researching this stuff compared to you guys and I'm amazed at all the stupid made-up stuff. I'm sure that there have been some pretty bad cases that people ended up winning and am just curious as to what they were.

I'm not challenging if it is or isn't. I'm pretty bad at researching this stuff compared to you guys and I'm amazed at all the stupid made-up stuff. I'm sure that there have been some pretty bad cases that people ended up winning and am just curious as to what they were.

Well, just keep posting crap, and wait for someone to spoonfeed you some real info. That's what I'd do.

Sorry, Irish... but posting forwarded emails and internet rumors as truth is one of my biggest pet peeves. It contributes very strongly to the dummification of America that folks like yourself will post blatantly false information and believe it without doing any fact checking for themselves.

I should have been more specific...

Has anyone produced a single example of a fivilous lawsuit winning yet... that isn't from the land of make believe? :D

I've been pretty busy at work, but when I get a chance I'll see what I can find. Although, I've got to say that I think where this whole frivilous lawsuit stuff started was just pointing out certain cases that were won, but only because of the stupid actions of the individual plaintiff. Just because a case isn't frivilous doesn't mean the plaintiff wasn't a complete idiot to cause the situation to occur in the first place.

There is stupid, and then there is a special kind of stupid.