[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One for the fans of lawyers

Ursa Majoris

Well, just keep posting crap, and wait for someone to spoonfeed you some real info. That's what I'd do.

Sorry, Irish... but posting forwarded emails and internet rumors as truth is one of my biggest pet peeves. It contributes very strongly to the dummification of America that folks like yourself will post blatantly false information and believe it without doing any fact checking for themselves.

I hear ya. I'm really bad at researching things on the innernets. However, I would never blatantly post this false trash, trying to pawn it off as fact. Nor did I believe any of it 100% and a couple times I even asked for those that knew better to clarify. So, I need one of those Researching on the Innernets for Dummies. I'm sure in time I'll get more savvy with uncovering info. Points well taken.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just keep posting crap, and wait for someone to spoonfeed you some real info. That's what I'd do.

Sorry, Irish... but posting forwarded emails and internet rumors as truth is one of my biggest pet peeves. It contributes very strongly to the dummification of America that folks like yourself will post blatantly false information and believe it without doing any fact checking for themselves.

If I didnt believe all of the stuff that was emailed to me I would have missed out on all that cash Bill Gates owes me for forwarding on his emails. I cant wait to get that check. I am going to buy a sweet boat.

Dude, someone did and won! I forget where I read it though. Irish, could you back me up on this?

It was actually me! Great work guys, I knew that we could get full circle with this. I'm pretty busy right now, but I'll post the link when I have time. I got the idea from the suit about a guy that used to wiped his ass with a cactus. He sued and got millions. I'll try and find that one too, but I think the case cite is Cliaz v. The Mojave Desert .

Edited by Dutch Oven

It was actually me! Great work guys, I knew that we could get full circle with this. I'm pretty busy right now, but I'll post the link when I have time. I got the idea from the suit about a guy that used to wiped his ass with a cactus. He sued and got millions. I'll try and find that one too, but I think the case cite is Cliaz v. The Mojave Desert .

:D:D:tup:

Sure...you got all those millions now...but you can spend all the money on hookers you want, doesn't do you much good once you've sandpapered your junk off! :D

There is no shortage of stupid lawsuits being filed... there are plenty of stupid plaintiffs out there.

I was thinking last night about the lady who called 911 to report that McDonalds couldn't adequately fill her order for a Western whopper. :D

But of frivilous lawsuits that actually make it to trial, or even more win... I think you'll find few.

:D

There is no shortage of stupid lawsuits being filed... there are plenty of stupid plaintiffs out there.

I was thinking last night about the lady who called 911 to report that McDonalds couldn't adequately fill her order for a Western whopper. :doh:

But of frivilous lawsuits that actually make it to trial, or even more win... I think you'll find few.

A Tort Reform Case Study: Acts of Kindness Should Not Be Punished

By Jimmy Moore

February 8, 2005

A hotly debated issue in state legislatures and in the U.S. Congress is about what should be done with out-of-control, frivolous lawsuits. I'm talking about the subject of tort reform.

While the average American may not completely grasp what tort reform is, most of them would undoubtedly rally behind it if they had an example of why it is needed.

And now we have one out of Durango, Colorado.

Last Thursday, La Plata County Magistrate Doug Walker ordered 17-year-old Taylor Ostergaard and 18-year-old Linsey Jo Zelitti to pay a woman $930.78 for medical bills she incurred after the two girls left a gift of one dozen chocolate chip and sugar cookies on her doorstep with a note stating "Have a great night. Love, The T and L Club" at 10:30 p.m. on July 31, 2004.

At face value, most people would think there has to be more to the story than that. What dastardly act did these girls commit that would warrant such a judgment against them?

Unfortunately, that is basically the substance of what instigated this lawsuit against the teenaged girls.

When 49-year-old Wanita Renee Young alleged she became so terrified by the knock at her door by the girls that she called the sheriff's department, she said the presence of the girls at her door forced her to go to the emergency room at Mercy Medical Center the next day because she allegedly suffered an anxiety attack that she believed was a heart attack because she couldn't stop shaking and had an upset stomach. Young told the court she was assaulted by a neighbor in 1990 and thought that person was back to seek revenge against her.

Ostergaard and Zelliti made nine total deliveries that night along their street and six of them vouched in letters to the court that they enjoyed the delicious surprise from their young neighbors and were not scared when they were delivered. Even still, Young got her medical bills paid for and still blames the innocent girls for what happened to her.

"All I wanted was for those girls to admit they used poor judgment and apologize in person," Young told the Durango Herald on Friday. "If they had done that, I wouldn't have even asked for the money. I just hope they learned a lesson."

Young is exactly what is wrong with our tort system today. Why should she be awarded a judgment for something so frivolous when there are genuine complaints that need to be addressed? And what message are we sending to the youth of our country if they cannot do a simple act of kindness without worrying about the liability involved in doing so?

The girl's parents attempted to settle this out of court with Young by agreeing to pay for her medical bills if she would release them from further damages. But Young refused to sign the release and did not believe the hand-written apology from the girls was genuine because it was not in person.

Afterwards, Young feigned she was merely protecting the teenaged girls by taking them to court because "something bad could have happened to them."

:D

An argument against this being a frivolous lawsuit:

Seems like some Freepers are really jumping to conclusions.

The original post is just another in a series of knee-jerk reactions that promulgate the myth of "frivolous lawsuits."

Wanita Young:

"We heard this horrible banging on the door, like someone was trying to break it down," she told the newspaper. "I ran upstairs and called out 'Who's there?' three or four times. But no one answered me and when I looked out the window, there weren't any vehicles in sight. But I could see the silhouette of someone on the other side of the window. I got really scared and called the sheriff's department."

Three sheriff's deputies arrived and found the cookies along with a note that read: "Have a great night. Love, The T and L Club." The "T and L Club" stood for Taylor and Lindsey.

The deputies didn't know what the note meant and suggested the Young stay in a motel that night. Young's husband was out of town so she took her 86-year-old mother and 19-year-old daughter to her sister's house in Farmington, N.M.

"Driving down there, I was throwing up and feeling a lot of pressure in my chest," she told the Herald. "I thought I might be having a heart attack."

Young, 49, went to a medical center emergency room the next morning and her hospital bill was more than $1,400. Doctors diagnosed her problem as an anxiety attack.

:tup:

You can call it a fair trial because she wouldn't have suffered "an anxiety attack" if it weren't for the kind act these girls did, or consider this frivolous. But IMO this women should not have been awarded such damages. She freaked out over nothing and blamed someone else for her own issues. :D

But it wasn't a million dollar judgement. I can see both sides of this.

You left this unbolded:

"All I wanted was for those girls to admit they used poor judgment and apologize in person," Young told the Durango Herald on Friday. "If they had done that, I wouldn't have even asked for the money."

As it turns out, she got less than $1000 because two girls were ringing and ditching at 10:30pm, and then refused to apologize in person.

If you knock on my door at 10:30, I answer in my boxers with a baseball bat. My grandmother would be scared to death, and I would definitely make you apologize to her if you did this to her house.

Should it have been a lawsuit? Not to me. But it's a far cry from the "She got millions for some BS" that people are complaining about in this thread.

Edited by AtomicCEO

But it wasn't a million dollar judgement. I can see both sides of this.

You left this unbolded:

"All I wanted was for those girls to admit they used poor judgment and apologize in person," Young told the Durango Herald on Friday. "If they had done that, I wouldn't have even asked for the money."

As it turns out, she got less than $1000 because two girls were ringing and ditching at 10:30pm, and then refused to apologize in person.

If you knock on my door at 10:30, I answer in my boxers with a baseball bat. My grandmother would be scared to death, and I would definitely make you apologize to her if you did this to her house.

Should it have been a lawsuit? Not to me. But it's a far cry from the "She got millions for some BS" that people are complaining about in this thread.

Good point. And you are right, after searching for any and all outrageous frivolous lawsuits there really are not many. But that doesn't mean they don't happen or don't exist. They do happen. In either case, the court system is set up so that you can't just sue anyone because you feel like -- and win. It doesn't happen as often as some would like to think.

However, I'll still suggest the annoyance caused from certain cases where the plaintiff is in the wrong yet somehow gets lucky and causes injury to themself due to the defendants product or action and wins a case. It can get pretty annoying to those that actually suffer. While searching for a frivolous lawsuit I found a close one where a women had stolen about $266 worth of groceries, and was chased out of the parking lot in her car only to hit a tree and kill her child that was in the front seat. She won the lawsuit against the store, but it was her own fault she killed her kid. :D At least in my opinion.

Although I suppose the employees shouldn't have chased her to the extent that they did. In either case, she should have known that her actions when stealing the groceries might create a set of events where she'd be chased.

So I guess there are no ambulance chasers with quacks on their payrolls cashing in on bogus personal injury suits anywhere..Is that a myth too ? Does that ever happen ?

I started to read this thread, and saw the bashing. But when I read Spain talking about having his name "Sullied", I lost it, did a screen spew, and almost herniated myself laughing! :D

Carry on! :D But this thread is dead!

So I guess there are no ambulance chasers with quacks on their payrolls cashing in on bogus personal injury suits anywhere..Is that a myth too ? Does that ever happen ?

I can't remember the exact case, and maybe we were just talking about it during a class lecture, but lets say someone causes a car accident and injures the other person. If that other person is in the ambulance and the ambulance gets in another car accident, the person who caused the original accident is at fault. Not the person who crashed into the ambulance. Not sure if I explained that to its full extent, but I'm pretty sure thats the idea.

A few days ago someone posted something about a man who got fired for visiting adult chat rooms while at work. Then I just read another where he is sueing IBM over his chat room firing for $5 million.

Wow. :D

Wow, full circle indeed. That link is what this freaking thread was originally about. Please tell me that you are joking.

Wow, full circle indeed. That link is what this freaking thread was originally about. Please tell me that you are joking.

No joke at all. That's the... funny part...? :D:D

Although this doesn't mean the plaintiff will win the case. I'll be interested to see where this leads to.