[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

virginia tech shooting

dmarc117

consequences, unfortunately it seems like todays youth has no clue what they are

school fighting seems to just keep manifesting as time goes by...

there used to be fist fights

then there were gang fist fights

then the knife was something that you had to be scared of in a fight

now you have to be scared if you look at someone cross for fear that they will shoot you without even thinking about it

:D

What's the difference in the student-teacher and/or parent-child dynamic that is responsible for this?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the difference in the student-teacher and/or parent-child dynamic that is responsible for this?

imo, 2 income families....long gone are the days of mom staying home with the kids but in the end there is no singular answer...we have progressively become a much more violent society thus leading to unfortunate events like this one :D

teachers cant break up fights now... parents dont give crap and will side with there kid all most every time

JMO, it's a little more than that. When I was a kid, not only could a teacher break up a fight, but then they would drag you by your painfully twisted earlobe to the principal's office....where you would legitimately fear death.

Now the authority figures in schools have been neutered.

imo, 2 income families....long gone are the days of mom staying home with the kids but in the end there is no singular answer...we have progressively become a much more violent society thus leading to unfortunate events like this one :D

That's another part of it, for certain. lack of supervision, and heck, lack of overall priority in people's lives for their children is a big problem.

I wonder why it's so tough to figure out that a kid would rather have a hug and a home made cookie from their mom than every matchbox car ever made.

Pick one (or more)......

School alienation / bullying

Day care / parents working

TV violence

Video game violence

General culture coarsening

Instant gratification

No time for the kids

No fault culture

Feel free to add your own.

I wonder why it's so tough to figure out that a kid would rather have a hug and a home made cookie from their mom than every matchbox car ever made.

That's it. My Mom didn't work until after I was in 11th grade or so. She always had dinner on the table and was there to help. True, we didn't have a hugh house or lots of stuff on one income. Somewhere around the late 1970's-early 80's or so, people decided they had to provide their kids with everything they missed out on when they were growing up. The huge house, the toys, the cell phones, etc, etc. Ask Mom why she is working and you are more than likely to hear that they can't make it on one salary because they want to give the kids everything they want. Parents today think they can buy their kid's love off when all the kids want is someone to be there when they get home from school and spend time with them. I'd bet you'd be surprised how many children would trade the PS3's and huge houses and new minivans, etc, etc for that.

this is weird. just got an automated call from my kid's school that they were initiating a lock down due to a potential domestic dispute. i talked to my wife and she said that she thinks it is due to a divorced parent trying to pick up their kid and being denied because they were not registered to do so. there probably was an incident and they might be afraid of the person doing something violent.

just wondering if the lockdown would have happened anyway of if moving quickly to do it is related to this whole thing ...

this is weird. just got an automated call from my kid's school that they were initiating a lock down due to a potential domestic dispute. i talked to my wife and she said that she thinks it is due to a divorced parent trying to pick up their kid and being denied because they were not registered to do so. there probably was an incident and they might be afraid of the person doing something violent.

just wondering if the lockdown would have happened anyway of if moving quickly to do it is related to this whole thing ...

Divorce could probably be added to Ursa's list as well.

Parents today think they can buy their kid's love off when all the kids want is someone to be there when they get home from school and spend time with them. I'd bet you'd be surprised how many children would trade the PS3's and huge houses and new minivans, etc, etc for that.

I think the motivation is different. I think it stems from a selfish outlook of people to want to succeed at their own endeavors at the expense of the family.

Because of the modern paradigm, I can;t lump this directly on the wimmenfolk, although that child nurturing role does seem to suit women better from a physiological, psychological, and practical standpoint. A full time Dad might be a poor substitute for a full time Mom, but it's still better than nothing. In the end, one of the parents should be making that their main priority rather than persuing career goals. Kids don't care so much about the career goals of thier parents.

That's it. My Mom didn't work until after I was in 11th grade or so. She always had dinner on the table and was there to help. True, we didn't have a hugh house or lots of stuff on one income. Somewhere around the late 1970's-early 80's or so, people decided they had to provide their kids with everything they missed out on when they were growing up. The huge house, the toys, the cell phones, etc, etc. Ask Mom why she is working and you are more than likely to hear that they can't make it on one salary because they want to give the kids everything they want. Parents today think they can buy their kid's love off when all the kids want is someone to be there when they get home from school and spend time with them. I'd bet you'd be surprised how many children would trade the PS3's and huge houses and new minivans, etc, etc for that.

my mom was the same ... didnt work till myself and one other brother were gone and the youngest was in 10th grade..... that little SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!er r got away with stuff i would not have even tried.. :D

I think the motivation is different. I think it stems from a selfish outlook of people to want to succeed at their own endeavors at the expense of the family.

Because of the modern paradigm, I can;t lump this directly on the wimmenfolk, although that child nurturing role does seem to suit women better from a physiological, psychological, and practical standpoint. A full time Dad might be a poor substitute for a full time Mom, but it's still better than nothing. In the end, one of the parents should be making that their main priority rather than persuing career goals. Kids don't care so much about the career goals of thier parents.

i blame reagonomics .... and mtv

Pick one (or more)......

School alienation / bullying

Day care / parents working

TV violence

Video game violence

General culture coarsening

Instant gratification

No time for the kids

No fault culture

Feel free to add your own.

It appears the early target is anti-depressant medication.

im shocked that more schools dont require someone to get buzzed in at the front office. people can just walk right in if they want to in most schools in my area.

hmm i visit a lot of schools and i would say that all of them hear u have to get buzzed or a pass to even get in the door

This is bu||sh!t. There are millions upon millions of examples of kids who don't go on spree killings that had two working parents growing up.

Edited by godtomsatan

This is bu||sh!t. There are millions upon millions of examples of kids who don't go on spree killings that had two working parents growing up.

I'm speaking of the general downfall in society. Latch-key kids grow up without any direction when they are home alone for hours on end. They will naturally lose their own way without the guidance provided by a parent. It doesn't mean a spree killing, but I firmly believe these children are hurt way more than they are helped by both parent's working simply to provide Little Jimmy with anything he wants, the new minivan and 2 extra spare bedrooms.