[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Frank Gore

broncosn05

What causes people to think that LJ has dropped off or will drop off is beyond me.

History, my good man. History. History is LJ's biggest enemy next year. History has told us that the probability of a RB who has 375+ carries in a season performing at or near that level the following season is extremely low - in fact, it's beyond low and becomes downright improbable, and is almost but not quite impossible.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LJ is a man among boys. He is the second coming of Earl Campbell (hope that doesn't jinx him!). No player has his combination of power, explosiveness, toughness, and football acumen. You won't see LJ run into backs of his blockers. He flows. It looks like he plays effortlessly, until he makes his move and he bowls over a linebacker. He could play linebacker. He is a bad man. Yet, he is no ghetto thug. He comes from a football family. Having a football coach for a father is common for a quarterback, especially the great quarterbacks. But not many running backs come from families where football is their world (though his father also forced him to excel at academics). All his anger and passion is channeled into football. He will always give 100%, no matter if he gets a new contract or is dinged up. Combine this passion with his lack of injury history and he is the most likely running back to be healthy in weeks 14-17. His team also looks like they'll be scratching for a playoff spot. LJ having games where he gets 30-35 carrries at the end of the season is not only a possibility, but a likelihood.

What causes people to think that LJ has dropped off or will drop off is beyond me.

:D

Gore didn't finish higher than the #4 RB in any league that I play in. He was predominantly the #5 RB in the league. He isn't top 3 material yet.

Taking chances is fine, and I'm all for it. Taking chances with a top 2 pick, especially with a guy who has a 1 year track record, isn't something I'm willing to do. By the time we get to pick 4 or 5 I'd be willing to take that risk, given the relative credentials of the rest of the players available.

If you're more risk tolerent, that's cool. That just doesn't seem to be justified by the numbers though. On the other hand, if Gore positively goes off & finishes with better FF numbers than the rest of the RBs in the league, then you'll be proven right & I'll just be an old worried nattering grandma. Such is the nature of the game.

I wasnt saying Gore finished in as the no.3. He was the 4th in my league. What I was saying is that those top three guys LT-Jackson-LJ are not a lock to be a top three.

I wasnt saying Gore finished in as the no.3. He was the 4th in my league. What I was saying is that those top three guys LT-Jackson-LJ are not a lock to be a top three.

No, but in a draft they probably ought to be. There's nothing that qualifies Gore over Jackson right now. The only qualifier on LJ is the exceptional workload last season, and matching that up against Gore's injury history is a close call with an edge to LJ, IMO.

The only qualifier on LJ is the exceptional workload last season,

Not to mention that the Chiefs offense is a complete mess right now. They took almost three full quarters to gain a first down against a not-that-great Colts D in the playoffs, and have lost Will Shields and Trent Green since.

Not to mention that the Chiefs offense is a complete mess right now. They took almost three full quarters to gain a first down against a not-that-great Colts D in the playoffs, and have lost Will Shields and Trent Green since.

Okay, I'll give you that, though RBs have put up superb numbers on shiatty teams (Walter Payton or Eric Dickerson, anyone?) With Herm in charge, I think it's entirely likely that he'll use the running game to try to shorten games. That may not bode well for LJ...

Edited by Bronco Billy

LJ has lost Sheilds, one of the best ever, and a very good qb in Green.

Frank Gore plays behind a beast of a line and a good offense with the potential to be great.

I think that qualifies him to at least be a toss up with LJ in my opinion.

Huard wasn't too shabby when he stepped in for Green.

Also KC's defense showed vast improvement. Even though KC has lost 2 All Pros on OL the past 2 years, I wouldn't write off the guys that were playing behind them. While they're a bit of a question mark, I seem to remember some analysis of KC's run game minus Roaf last year and Green seemed to suffer more than anyone. Shields never missed a game but I wouldn't assume the guy stepping in is a slouch. It's pretty difficult to usurp a future HOFer on the depth chart.

LJ's carries were high LAST year but he's only started 1.5 seasons.

There's no way I'd take Gore over LJ or SJax.

This discussion is starting to get some meat on its bones. Now all we need is someone to step up & throw a wild card into the mix at the top - who's going to surprise & break in?

[putsonorange&blueglasses]I sure like Henry's chances given what's going on in DEN[/putsonorange&blueglasses]

Based on what? LT's four Pro Bowl trips and League MVP vs. Gore's one Pro Bowl season and zero MVPs? Or maybe Gore's two major knee surgeries vs. LT's zero?

Based on everyone eventually falls. Faulk, Then Holmes, than Alexander, Johnson, Tomlinson... No one stays on top for forever.

To use Gore's knee injuries as your primary reasoning completly disreguards the leaps that medicine has taken.

Tomlinson also has a lot of mileage the past few years as well.

As far as LJ's heavy usage not being that big of a deal because he's only done it in the past 1.5 years is nonsense... That much usage in that short of a time has got to be worse than a guy who's been carrying the rock 300 times a year for the past 3-4...

Even though KC has lost 2 All Pros on OL the past 2 years, I wouldn't write off the guys that were playing behind them. While they're a bit of a question mark, I seem to remember some analysis of KC's run game minus Roaf last year and Green seemed to suffer more than anyone. Shields never missed a game but I wouldn't assume the guy stepping in is a slouch. It's pretty difficult to usurp a future HOFer on the depth chart.

LJ's carries were high LAST year but he's only started 1.5 seasons.

There's no way I'd take Gore over LJ or SJax.

Larry Johnson carried the ball 80 times more last year than in 05. He only outran his previous total by 49 yards. He dropped .9 yards a carry

If Green and Johnsons production took big hits with the absence of Roaf, what happens when you lose a dominant guard? I bet Shaun Alexander could tell you.

And as far as the guy who's coming in to take over Sheilds spot not being a slouch... Look up Jordan Black. Are you really that comfortable with that statment?

Based on everyone eventually falls. Faulk, Then Holmes, than Alexander, Johnson, Tomlinson... No one stays on top for forever.

Emmitt, Barry, Payton, and Faulk were all still going full-speed at Tomlinson's age.

Tomlinson also has a lot of mileage the past few years as well.

Tomlinson is only 28. Most future-HOF RBs don't begin to see major drops in production until 31 or 32.

To use Gore's knee injuries as your primary reasoning completly disreguards the leaps that medicine has taken.

And exactly what "leap" has medicine taken since Gore has been in college?

Gore has one really good season under his belt, while LT is still in his prime and is already a lock for the HOF. Even in a keeper league, LT is a full tier above Gore.

As far as LJ's heavy usage not being that big of a deal because he's only done it in the past 1.5 years is nonsense... That much usage in that short of a time has got to be worse than a guy who's been carrying the rock 300 times a year for the past 3-4...

Agreed. LJ's problems are going to be due to a lack of supporting cast.

Emmitt, Barry, Payton, and Faulk were all still going full-speed at Tomlinson's age.

Tomlinson is only 28. Most future-HOF RBs don't begin to see major drops in production until 31 or 32.

And exactly what "leap" has medicine taken since Gore has been in college?

Gore has one really good season under his belt, while LT is still in his prime and is already a lock for the HOF. Even in a keeper league, LT is a full tier above Gore.

Agreed. LJ's problems are going to be due to a lack of supporting cast.

I like Tomlinson a lot, but lets tap the breaks a little before we throw his name in there with Emmitt, Barry, or Payton. He's not quite there yet, although he is well on his way.

ACL tears used to take 1 1/2 to 2 years to come back from. Braylon Edwards missed how many games? To say that sports medicine hasnt improved greatly is pretty crazy to me. But hey, everyone's got an opinion.

ACL tears used to take 1 1/2 to 2 years to come back from. Braylon Edwards missed how many games? To say that sports medicine hasnt improved greatly is pretty crazy to me. But hey, everyone's got an opinion.

Braylon Edwards is a receiver and doesn't use his knees in nearly the same way as a halfback. Edge took a full season and a half to get back to normal after tearing his ACL just six years ago. Unless there's some new medical technology that I'm unaware of, that's still the norm.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Based on what? LT's four Pro Bowl trips and League MVP vs. Gore's one Pro Bowl season and zero MVPs? Or maybe Gore's two major knee surgeries vs. LT's zero?

On the certainty that Michael Turner is much more involved with the offense this year.

On the certainty that Michael Turner is much more involved with the offense this year.

There's been a lot of talk about this but I'll believe when I see it.

I can see Turner spelling him a bit more but just because LT is being spelled more doesn't mean his numbers will plummet. Assume LT's 400+ touches is reduced by a 3:1 share (worst case imo)... that's still 300+ touches, ~17-1800yds, 15-20 TDs. In fact, it could work to LT's advantage as he should have fresher legs as the season wears on.

It's not like it should be a full blown RBBC which Norv Turner definitely has no history of implementing.

There's been a lot of talk about this but I'll believe when I see it.

I can see Turner spelling him a bit more but just because LT is being spelled more doesn't mean his numbers will plummet. Assume LT's 400+ touches is reduced by a 3:1 share (worst case imo)... that's still 300+ touches, ~17-1800yds, 15-20 TDs. In fact, it could work to LT's advantage as he should have fresher legs as the season wears on.

It's not like it should be a full blown RBBC which Norv Turner definitely has no history of implementing.

What I said in my first post is that there is no way that you hold Michael Turner with the trade offers they had to have been getting to keep him at the level he was used at before.

This has been a excellent thread fellas.

I have not put much into this thread because I have no faith in Gore whatsoever and everyone is so hyped up on him I did not feel like fielding all the questions as to why I would think that. that being said...I did not have any faith in him last year either and he got off.

After reading all this though I have solidified my thoughts that pickin last in this years draft is a great place to be picking.

Eh it's pretty slim back there. Seems like the Top 3 from last year has spread to more of a Top 6.

Slim?

You can possibly get Rudi Johnson, Ronnie Brown,Clinton Portis and a number of others there.

IMO as much as people are talking about the 2 back rotations this year I think this draft is deeper than last years for RB's.

To me..there is a top 1 this year instead of a top 3. then a bunch of guys who are pretty much even.