Sign in to follow this  
SheikYerbuti

2007 NBA Draft

Recommended Posts

This from Rotoworld:

 

The Portland Trailblazers won the NBA Draft lottery and will have the No. 1 pick in next month's draft.

The Seattle Sonics will pick second with the Atlanta Hawks picking third. The Grizzlies and Celtics come away with the biggest disappointment as they were heavily favored to win either the first or second pick. The Hawks will keep their pick as it was Top 3 protected from going to Phoenix, while also picking up Indiana's No. 11 pick from the Al Harrington deal. The Knicks will give their pick to the Bulls, which turned out to the No. 9 pick. You can go ahead and pencil Greg Oden into a Blazers' jersey, with Kevin Durant likely going to the Sonics

 

I don't understand this at all. If anything it should be the other way around. The Blazers just drafted their "Center of the Future" last year in Aldridge, and although he's not nearly the talent that Oden is, he was first team all rookie this year, and the Blazers have been starting Ime Udoka at SF while waiting for chonic head-case Darius Miles to return from a lingering knee injury. They could clearly use a Kevin Durant type player more than any team in the league.

 

Conversely, the Sonics have possibly the best 3 point shooting SF in Rashard Lewis and have been starting Nick Collison at C all last year, when Collison's natural position is PF. They clearly need a quality C.

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conversely, the Sonics have possibly the best 3 point shooting SF in Rashard Lewis and have been starting Nick Collison at C all last year, when Collison's natural position is PF. They clearly need a quality C.

 

 

Oden will go to Portland and they will be the dominant Western Conference team by 2010.

 

I'm so down on the Sonics, that I can't rationally discuss their future prospects with Durant without the taste of bitterness spewing forth about the ownership group, the arena situation, and the present group of gutless tripe they got on their roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the present group of gutless tripe they got on their roster.

 

Ray Alan excepted, surely? I wish Minnesota could get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from Rotoworld:

 

 

 

I don't understand this at all. If anything it should be the other way around. The Blazers just drafted their "Center of the Future" last year in Aldridge, and although he's not nearly the talent that Oden is, he was first team all rookie this year, and the Blazers have been starting Ime Udoka at SF while waiting for chonic head-case Darius Miles to return from a lingering knee injury. They could clearly use a Kevin Durant type player more than any team in the league.

 

Conversely, the Sonics have possibly the best 3 point shooting SF in Rashard Lewis and have been starting Nick Collison at C all last year, when Collison's natural position is PF. They clearly need a quality C.

 

Thoughts?

 

 

Just moving to Oregon from the Bay Area, I'm excited. The Warriors, my former fan based team will be on national TV more next year, so I get to see them, and now it will be fun to watch the Trailblazers on local TV. Aldridge will make a great PF and it will be like having David Robinson and Tim Duncan together-maybe not quite the talent package. I actually think the more natural position for Aldridge is PF. Oden will help them on defense more than anything. Portland does need a good PG and hopefully will address that in the off season.

 

I love Brandon Roy-he is a leader, smart and articulate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oden will go to Portland and they will be the dominant Western Conference team by 2010.

 

I'm so down on the Sonics, that I can't rationally discuss their future prospects with Durant without the taste of bitterness spewing forth about the ownership group, the arena situation, and the present group of gutless tripe they got on their roster.

 

+1

 

They'll take Oden. I mean how can you pass up on a true center when there are so few in the NBA? Oden is a dominating big man, especially on the defensive end, and he'll pay immediate dividends for the Trail Blazers. Put him along with LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Zach Randolph and point guard Jarrett Jack, and here's the best young team in the NBA. They'll be dominating the West in as little as 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, shocker all around- first few thoughts........ Portland is loaded all of a sudden, and has the look of a team that has some excellent young pieces in place, and should content for the title in 3-4 years. Aldridge? please....... he is not a C and will fit in nicely coming off the bench to spell Randolph and Oden. Things are looking up for Portland.

 

Seallte, wow......... can Durant save the Sonice???? they have many issues but the kid could literally be what Seattle needs in order to stay and turn the franchise around.......... we shall see

 

 

The Western conference is absolutely loaded to dominate the East for years to come.

 

Boston fans, :D first Duncan, and then ten years later shut out on both Oden & Durant. At least you have the Sox/Pats so :D care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't shed a tear for Boston fan. I've been waiting for nearly 30 years for a world championship and hope that the #2 lottery pick helps keep the dysfunctional Sonics at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aldridge? please....... he is not a C

 

I don't agree. Aldridge is one inch shorter than Oden and the same weight. This past year he averaged 11 rebounds and 3 blocks per 48 minutes. If it weren't for Oden eating his playing time next year, I believe he would have improved on these numbers, as he only played about 20 minutes a game last season and never grew comfortable with his point guard, as Jack went back and forth between floor general and bench riding outcast. With a more consistent PG, a more experienced Brandon Roy and job security as the starting center, I think Aldridge was on his way to being a premier center in the next few years. That is, until Portland's ping pong ball shot up the chute. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Seattle would agree that it would make more "sense" for them to get Oden than Portland. Problem is, Oden is marked as the best center prospect in the last 20+ years, so I don't think Portland will take a chance and pass on him. Plus, even though the size may be similar, Oden is a true center and Aldridge is not. The two together would make a very formidable front line. With Roy in the backcourt, look out in 3-5 years. They SHOULD be very good, but it all depends on what other role players (team players) management surrounds them with, IMO. I, personally, don't see Zach Randolph fitting into the mix long-term, but I guess time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Western conference is absolutely loaded to dominate the East for years to come.

 

 

+1

 

Boston fans, :clap: first Duncan, and then ten years later shut out on both Oden & Durant. At least you have the Sox/Pats so :doh: care.

 

 

:clap::clap::clap::D:D:D:D:tup: Tell me about it.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Wilcat said, the funniest part to me is that both guys end up out west. Guess the east will remain inferior for even longer now and as a Heat fan, which is fine by me, but that had to be the league's worst nightmare. I actually feel bad for the Celtics though.

Edited by Jo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Wilcat said, the funniest part to me is that both guys end up out west. Guess the east will remain inferior for even longer now and as a Heat fan, which is fine by me, but that had to be the league's worst nightmare. I actually feel bad for the Celtics though.

 

 

I have already seen conspiracy theories out there saying just the opposite. Portland and Seattle were struggling markets, and owners were threatening to move the teams, etc.

 

Now the franchises are all of a sudden "saved". And notice how you never see the ping pong balls, only the reading of the envelope.

 

Now, I am not saying I am buying that, just that some think it's not the league's worst nightmare.

 

And let's face it....the East dominated the NBA from 1980 or so through the late 90s. Nothing wrong with a shift in power for a while...

 

But to those *cough*bushwhacked*cough* that say that they don't feel one bit bad for the Celtics...go screw yourself!

 

:D

 

Seriously, though...it would be one thing to just have an organization that was eternally mired in sucking, but that's not what keeps happening to us.

 

Major bad luck since the 86 season:

Death of Len Bias

Kevin McHale breaks foot and is never the same player

Larry Bird's back goes to hell in a handbasket

Death of Reggie Lewis

Missing Tim Duncan with the worst record in the league

Paul Pierce stabbed and nearly killed

Major injury to budding star Tony Allen, who will never be the same

Now missing both Durant and Oden.

 

The Franchise has really been getting it left and right for 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree the West is currently stronger I would be a big hesitant to say that will continue considering the age of Free Agency and Salary Caps. Even during this West dominated era the East has won a couple of Championships in the past 3 years. Sure I think they'll be a better conference overall next year and probably for two years but it wouldn't surprise me to see a shift in power by 2009.

 

FA is huge, more so then the draft potentially. The heat will be healthy next year although it won't be known when Shaq could break down.

 

Pistons: Not sure about them next year, need to tweak their roster a bit IMO. They could shed some salary which could mean a big trade. Who knows with them though, could be their last serious run this year with this squad.

 

Cavs: Probably just one FA away from being an Elite team that will contend for the championship and would probably be there if they had Boozer.

 

Wiz: Interesting team, not sure which way they'll go next year and beyond. Up or down.

 

Bulls: Best young team in the league. They need a big man to say the least. Ben is on his last leg (sorry). They have the 9 pick I believe.

 

Toronto: Also some solid potential to take the next step.

 

Remember the EAST had 4 of the top 5 picks in the deep 02 draft. And other then Darko they are all Superstars currently, Lebron, DWade, and Bosh and Mello of course in the West. Darko has potential to help Orlando take the next step also.

 

Should be interesting to say the least.

Edited by chiefjay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FA is huge, more so then the draft potentially.

 

 

I dunno...and honestly last night really rubbed a sore spot for me in terms of the draft.

 

The draft is generally the only way a team is going to get one of the True Great Franchise Players, because in the NBA, a franchise that owns that player and isn't stupid will lock them up for their entire career. Sure, Shaq has moved around, but how many of the other truly great players have moved via free agency.

 

The problem is that, in the NBA an individual player makes up so much more of what a team brings to the table than in any other sport. You could talk about great goalies in hockey or great QBs in football, but goalies can't score goals and quarterbacks can't play defense. In the NBA, that True Great Franchise Player is everywhere.

 

And because of this I totally understand and support the need for a draft lottery, because otherwise we would have teams diving to the floor when a true great looks to be entering a draft class.

 

The problem is that teams that are 'too good' are getting a shot at these players while teams that are 'truly bad' should really be getting the shot at them. So then it becomes a question of where the lines of demarcation should be to determine what teams should get the chance at each draft spot.

 

I would like to see it structured so that only the 'X' worst teams get a shot at the top pick. for the sake of this, call it the three worst:

 

For the first pick: 50% chance for the worst team, 30% chance for the second worst team, 20% chance for the third worst team.

 

For the second pick:

a) If the worst team got the first pick: 50% chance for the worst team left, 30% chance for the second worst team left, 20% chance for the third worst team left

:D If the worst team did not get the first pick: 60% chance for the worst team, 25% for the second worst (left), and 15% for the third worst team left

 

For the third pick:

a) If the worst team left got second pick: 50% chance for the worst team left, 30% chance for the second worst team left, 20% chance for the third worst team left

:D If the worst team left did not get the first or second pick: 60% chance for the worst team, 25% for the second worst (left), and 15% for the third worst team left

c) If the worst team left is still the worst overall team, their chance increases by 10%, and the other teams's chances each decrease by 5%, and then 10% for the second team after the third team reaches zero, until the worst overall team has 100% chance of getting the 6th pick overall.

 

So, this sounds a little complicated, and it also means that the worst team could slide further than it could in the current system. BUT, what it also means is that the 10th+ worst teams no longer get a shot at the top picks. The best pick a team can get a shot at would be their finish order minus 2 (ie the fourth team could only get a shot at the second pick).

 

Now that grouping of three could be changed to four or five...it's just a number I used. I just think that a system like this gets to improve at least one bottom feeder, versus letting a middling team get a hugh boost.

 

etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno...and honestly last night really rubbed a sore spot for me in terms of the draft.

 

 

 

 

I think you're right in terms of the draft v FA. The draft truely is a way to change the direction of your team. My example of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh is a prime example of that. Magic, MJ, Bird, Hakeem, TD, Isiah, and Kobe also support that argument but of course there were Free Agents / Trades that helps those Superstars as well.

 

I guess my point was mainly the shift in power could change because of Free Agents / Trades more so then the draft. Durant and Oden both seem like can't miss prospects but that of course is never guarenteed.

 

I'll be interested to see if KG ever moves and to where.

Edited by chiefjay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno...and honestly last night really rubbed a sore spot for me in terms of the draft.

 

The draft is generally the only way a team is going to get one of the True Great Franchise Players, because in the NBA, a franchise that owns that player and isn't stupid will lock them up for their entire career. Sure, Shaq has moved around, but how many of the other truly great players have moved via free agency.

 

The problem is that, in the NBA an individual player makes up so much more of what a team brings to the table than in any other sport. You could talk about great goalies in hockey or great QBs in football, but goalies can't score goals and quarterbacks can't play defense. In the NBA, that True Great Franchise Player is everywhere.

 

And because of this I totally understand and support the need for a draft lottery, because otherwise we would have teams diving to the floor when a true great looks to be entering a draft class.

 

The problem is that teams that are 'too good' are getting a shot at these players while teams that are 'truly bad' should really be getting the shot at them. So then it becomes a question of where the lines of demarcation should be to determine what teams should get the chance at each draft spot.

 

I would like to see it structured so that only the 'X' worst teams get a shot at the top pick. for the sake of this, call it the three worst:

 

For the first pick: 50% chance for the worst team, 30% chance for the second worst team, 20% chance for the third worst team.

 

For the second pick:

a) If the worst team got the first pick: 50% chance for the worst team left, 30% chance for the second worst team left, 20% chance for the third worst team left

:D If the worst team did not get the first pick: 60% chance for the worst team, 25% for the second worst (left), and 15% for the third worst team left

 

For the third pick:

a) If the worst team left got second pick: 50% chance for the worst team left, 30% chance for the second worst team left, 20% chance for the third worst team left

:D If the worst team left did not get the first or second pick: 60% chance for the worst team, 25% for the second worst (left), and 15% for the third worst team left

c) If the worst team left is still the worst overall team, their chance increases by 10%, and the other teams's chances each decrease by 5%, and then 10% for the second team after the third team reaches zero, until the worst overall team has 100% chance of getting the 6th pick overall.

 

So, this sounds a little complicated, and it also means that the worst team could slide further than it could in the current system. BUT, what it also means is that the 10th+ worst teams no longer get a shot at the top picks. The best pick a team can get a shot at would be their finish order minus 2 (ie the fourth team could only get a shot at the second pick).

 

Now that grouping of three could be changed to four or five...it's just a number I used. I just think that a system like this gets to improve at least one bottom feeder, versus letting a middling team get a hugh boost.

 

etc..

 

 

It's an interesting idea, but wouldn't it give teams more incentive to tank? The team that currently has the 4th worst record would have an overwhelming incentive to lose.

 

It's not an easy fix, obviously. The current system has plenty of problems, especially this year since the truly bad teams all got screwed by unusually heavy ping pong balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Seattle would agree that it would make more "sense" for them to get Oden than Portland. Problem is, Oden is marked as the best center prospect in the last 20+ years, so I don't think Portland will take a chance and pass on him. Plus, even though the size may be similar, Oden is a true center and Aldridge is not. The two together would make a very formidable front line. With Roy in the backcourt, look out in 3-5 years. They SHOULD be very good, but it all depends on what other role players (team players) management surrounds them with, IMO. I, personally, don't see Zach Randolph fitting into the mix long-term, but I guess time will tell.

 

 

Zach Randolf to the #3 spot or a great 6th man? Maybe they to trade him for a good PG, although most teams don't give up good PGs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oden is marked as the best center prospect in the last 20+ years, so I don't think Portland will take a chance and pass on him.

 

 

Shaq has been in the league longer than 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree. Aldridge is one inch shorter than Oden and the same weight. This past year he averaged 11 rebounds and 3 blocks per 48 minutes. If it weren't for Oden eating his playing time next year, I believe he would have improved on these numbers, as he only played about 20 minutes a game last season and never grew comfortable with his point guard, as Jack went back and forth between floor general and bench riding outcast. With a more consistent PG, a more experienced Brandon Roy and job security as the starting center, I think Aldridge was on his way to being a premier center in the next few years. That is, until Portland's ping pong ball shot up the chute. . .

 

Thanks for trying to impress us with your per-48 minutes stats, but like Gopher pointed out, Oden is a TRUE center, who could even bulk up and grow in a few years. Aldridge is not a true center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for trying to impress us with your per-48 minutes stats, but like Gopher pointed out, Oden is a TRUE center, who could even bulk up and grow in a few years. Aldridge is not a true center.

 

 

 

Portland has the chance on paper to be very good in the near future.

 

Oden is a true Center, and Aldridge is a power forward. Hell when Zach Randolph was on the bench, they brought in the old man to play C, and Aldridge played PF in place of Zach Randolph.

 

 

This could be a salty team in a few yrs, or could be the clippers when it looked on paper a few yrs back they had a stud at every position. Too much youth can be a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're right in terms of the draft v FA. The draft truely is a way to change the direction of your team. My example of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh is a prime example of that. Magic, MJ, Bird, Hakeem, TD, Isiah, and Kobe also support that argument but of course there were Free Agents / Trades that helps those Superstars as well.

 

I guess my point was mainly the shift in power could change because of Free Agents / Trades more so then the draft. Durant and Oden both seem like can't miss prospects but that of course is never guarenteed.

 

I'll be interested to see if KG ever moves and to where.

 

 

 

The impact FA's will generally go to either where they can get the most money, or to where they can get almost the most money and play with a true franchise player. If they go where they get the most money, that team becomes middling good with a few of these guys. If they go with the FP, they get to win championships.

 

JMO, you don't win championships in today's NBA without having something close to an MVP caliber player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting idea, but wouldn't it give teams more incentive to tank? The team that currently has the 4th worst record would have an overwhelming incentive to lose.

 

It's not an easy fix, obviously. The current system has plenty of problems, especially this year since the truly bad teams all got screwed by unusually heavy ping pong balls.

 

 

:D I don't know that teams would have more of an incentive to tank than they do now. Nothing is guaranteed.

 

And again, it doesn't have to be a 3 team roving set. it could be 4,5, or even 6, and adjust the percentages.

 

And if the 4th worst team is tanking, are the top 3 then going to have a tank race? I just don't see that being much of a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love all the eascoast blowhards crying on ESPN about how sad that Oden/Durant will be banished to the NW :D . Skip Bayless just referred to it as "Southern Alaska" what a bunch of morons.

 

Eff the East coast bloated jackoff media, sick of their BS.

 

West rules, especially in the NBA- NY/Boston are old news. Good things happening out West...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for trying to impress us with your per-48 minutes stats, but like Gopher pointed out, Oden is a TRUE center, who could even bulk up and grow in a few years. Aldridge is not a true center.

 

 

You're welcome. Rather than just re-spout things I hear other people say, I try to bring some stats and research to the conversation. I think that given 35 minutes per game, rather than the 20 he got last year Aldridge could get the job done.

 

And rather than just repeating "player A IS a true center/player B is NOT a true center" over and over again, why not impress us by elaborating what it is that doesn't qualify Aldridge as a "true center". Or is it so blaringly obvious that you can't be bothered?

 

Do you think the Blazers traded up to the 2 spot last year so they could draft a PF who would spend years stuck behind Zach Randolph? Or did they trade up to get help for Jamaal Magloire, who can't stay out of the hospital for a full season and was brought in as a quick fix for Pryzbilla? They drafted Aldridge as a center, and before they won the lottery, they had every intention of him holding down the middle for the forseeable future.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually feel bad for the Celtics though.

Why? They tanked their season 3/4 the way through it. Paul Pierce COULD have played if he had something to play for. Memphis is the team IMO that got snubbed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.