[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 NBA Draft

SheikYerbuti

Aldridge couldn't guard Yao or Duncan with a billy club and a can of mace. Oden will be able to.

That's nothing to be ashamed of. NO ONE can guard Duncan. He's the best back-to-the-basket player of his generation, possibly of all time. And I won't believe Oden will be able to until I see it.

I think my views on this "traditional vs. non-traditional" center thing is being skewed by fantasy sports. I've had great success in the past few seasons in fantasy leagues with PF/C's at the C spot. This past year I rode Boozer and Al Jefferson to a championship as my 2 C's. Having a traditional center translates into championships in the NBA (in recent years Shaq, Wallace, Robinson), which is a different recipe for success than in fantasy basketball. The Brad Miller of 2 years ago was maybe the ideal fantasy center. The same can be said for Mehmet Okur this past year.

Then again, how many "true" centers are there in the NBA? Shaq, Yao, Ben Wallace, Amare Stoudamire. . .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nothing to be ashamed of. NO ONE can guard Duncan. He's the best back-to-the-basket player of his generation, possibly of all time. And I won't believe Oden will be able to until I see it.

I think my views on this "traditional vs. non-traditional" center thing is being skewed by fantasy sports. I've had great success in the past few seasons in fantasy leagues with PF/C's at the C spot. This past year I rode Boozer and Al Jefferson to a championship as my 2 C's. Having a traditional center translates into championships in the NBA (in recent years Shaq, Wallace, Robinson), which is a different recipe for success than in fantasy basketball. The Brad Miller of 2 years ago was maybe the ideal fantasy center. The same can be said for Mehmet Okur this past year.

Then again, how many "true" centers are there in the NBA? Shaq, Yao, Ben Wallace, Amare Stoudamire. . .

I actually think Stoudamire would make a better PF and is the closest person I'd compare to Aldridge currently in the NBA. I guess he's stronger and plays tougher than Aldridge. Didn't Phoenix draft him as a PF? I could be wrong about that.

I actually think Stoudamire would make a better PF and is the closest person I'd compare to Aldridge currently in the NBA. I guess he's stronger and plays tougher than Aldridge. Didn't Phoenix draft him as a PF? I could be wrong about that.

yup., The Sheik was 2 for 4. Amare and Ben aren't centers. Amare is a prototype 4, and Ben is a freak without a real position, but who can play the 4,5, but he isn't a true center either.

uh , negative on the 80's.... looks like 5-5 to me :D

1980 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Philadelphia 76ers

1981 Houston Rockets 2–4 Boston Celtics

1982 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Philadelphia 76ers

1983 Los Angeles Lakers 0–4 Philadelphia 76ers

1984 Los Angeles Lakers 3–4 Boston Celtics

1985 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Boston Celtics

1986 Houston Rockets 2–4 Boston Celtics

1987 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Boston Celtics

1988 Los Angeles Lakers 4–3 Detroit Pistons

1989Los Angeles Lakers 0–4 Detroit Pistons

this decade it is 5-2, soon to be 6-2, cmon. whatchya smokin?

Wow, a whopping 6 teams comprised the entirety of the NBA finals of the 80's. And the Lakers got swept twice.. beautiful

Wow, a whopping 6 teams comprised the entirety of the NBA finals of the 80's. And the Lakers got swept twice.. beautiful

And the Lakers were in the final 8 out of 10 times...gotta give them props regardless of sweeps.

yup., The Sheik was 2 for 4. Amare and Ben aren't centers. Amare is a prototype 4, and Ben is a freak without a real position, but who can play the 4,5, but he isn't a true center either.

Now we're getting some interesting dialogue. According to Magnolias, here are some characteristics that make one more suited to being a PF, rather than a C:

"1. He doesn't defend well inside-needs to bulk up

2. He is more effective as a high post player

3. Runs the floor well

4. Played mostly PF in college"

By saying that Ben Wallace is NOT a true C, you're saying that he "doesn't defend well inside". Ben is a multiple Defensive Player of the Year winner, and it's probably 80% because of his work under and around the basket, namely his shot blocking and low post defense. And "more effective as a high post player"? Ben can't shoot from outside 5 feet. I don't know if Wallace is notoriously slow running the floor, but he seems to move in transition as well as anyone, so I have no stance there. And since Ben went to some junior college in Sheboigan, Virginia, who knows what position he played predominantly? But, I think he should qualify as a "true" center. So Wildcat. . . who else besides Shaq and Yao fits the bill? Seems like we're now just talking about Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and Yao in the history of the game. Maybe Mikan?

Now we're getting some interesting dialogue. According to Magnolias, here are some characteristics that make one more suited to being a PF, rather than a C:

3. Runs the floor well

By saying that Ben Wallace is NOT a true C, you're saying that he "doesn't defend well inside". Ben is a multiple Defensive Player of the Year winner, and it's probably 80% because of his work under and around the basket, namely his shot blocking and low post defense. And "more effective as a high post player"? Ben can't shoot from outside 5 feet. I don't know if Wallace is notoriously slow running the floor, but he seems to move in transition as well as anyone, so I have no stance there. And since Ben went to some junior college in Sheboigan, Virginia, who knows what position he played predominantly? But, I think he should qualify as a "true" center. So Wildcat. . . who else besides Shaq and Yao fits the bill? Seems like we're now just talking about Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and Yao in the history of the game. Maybe Mikan?

My guess is that some of these guys get caught up in the lingo and don't really consider what it means. You know, I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about but I can't really explain it...:stirringpot:

Anyway, back on topic, I think they should have the worst 10 teams or something like that and weigh them accordingly for the lottery.

3. Runs the floor well

plenty of ways to define it I guess- I think Ben Wallace is kind of unique, and in his own category, and not a Center, per se.

Plenty of true centers, just most of them are no damn good, hence the premium on a guy like Oden

off the top of my head besides Yao and Shaq

Dampier

Diop

Kaman

Bynum

Ilgauskus

Mutombo

Camby

Bogut

Magloire

Pryzbilla

Okafor

DHoward

uh , negative on the 80's.... looks like 5-5 to me :D

1980 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Philadelphia 76ers

1981 Houston Rockets 2–4 Boston Celtics

1982 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Philadelphia 76ers

1983 Los Angeles Lakers 0–4 Philadelphia 76ers

1984 Los Angeles Lakers 3–4 Boston Celtics

1985 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Boston Celtics

1986 Houston Rockets 2–4 Boston Celtics

1987 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2 Boston Celtics

1988 Los Angeles Lakers 4–3 Detroit Pistons

1989Los Angeles Lakers 0–4 Detroit Pistons

this decade it is 5-2, soon to be 6-2, cmon. whatchya smokin?

:D

Way to shift the decades to make your case. I used the kickoff year. 79-80 was part of the 70's in my count. Do the math differently and you get a different answer I guess.

So in your equation, the east was more dominant in the 90's, and also the dominant conference in the 70's. The East has still been the more dominant comference by far in history. Not to mention that my point was that a shift of power was not a bad thing, anyways. And your point was.....to not have a point?

source

:D

Way to shift the decades to make your case. I used the kickoff year. 79-80 was part of the 70's in my count. Do the math differently and you get a different answer I guess.

So in your equation, the east was more dominant in the 90's, and also the dominant conference in the 70's. The East has still been the more dominant comference by far in history. Not to mention that my point was that a shift of power was not a bad thing, anyways. And your point was.....to not have a point?

source

the question is- what in the hell was your point- All I did was point out the West has dominated this decade while, the 90's the East did- and the 80's was even. I could care less what decade shift yer using, I was just makin a point, Yer the one who flew in Swerksi-style calling me out. Now what again was yer point bc I missed it.........

Sure, Detroit is solid, and Miami won last year- but cmon the West has been dominating the East for years, and has won the title 7 out of the last 9 - along with the superior overall quality- I call that dominating......

To be fair.....

90's - Dominated by the East

80's - pretty even....

Edited by wildcat2334

the question is- what in the hell was your point- All I did was point out the West has dominated this decade while, the 90's the East did- and the 80's was even. I could care less what decade shift yer using, I was just makin a point, Yer the one who flew in Swerksi-style calling me out. Now what again was yer point bc I missed it.........

Sure, Detroit is solid, and Miami won last year- but cmon the West has been dominating the East for years, and has won the title 7 out of the last 9 - along with the superior overall quality- I call that dominating......

To be fair.....

90's - Dominated by the East

80's - pretty even....

Whatever helps you sleep at night, schwinkie. I think I made a very polite statement talking about the number of championships before you came in with the 'whatcha smokin' comment. Done arguing with you.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, schwinkie. I think I made a very polite statement talking about the number of championships before you came in with the 'whatcha smokin' comment. Done arguing with you.

People are finally catching on................. :D

cool. whatever-I have zero interest in arguing about this, especially since there is nothing to argue about. Just a comment on NBA East/West after reading recent title winners.

I just get tired of the jerky boys in here whe get off on trying to prove people wrong, and to argue for the sake of arguing it get's annoying. Nothin personal at all.

Back to talking about the Draft.

While severely dissapointed that the Celtics missed out on Oden and Durant I have calmed down and realized that things could work out ok.

There are several players I really like after the big two. I love Brandon Wright and if he somehow falls it would be a blessing. Yi Jianlian is definitely interesting. By the time the draft is actually here I think his stock will be at and all time high and will probably go 4 to Memphis. That leaves three players to look at.

Mike Conley Jr.-Love this kid but Rajon Rondo is going to be a really really good player. Rondo reminds me of Tony Parker in his early years. Not much of a jump shot but runs well and makes good decisions. Still hard to pass on Conley.

Corey Brewer-Whoever gets Brewer will be happy. He has zero bust potential in my eyes. He reminds me of Scottie Pippen. His defense is awesome.

Al Horford-Could be a beast. Very Carlos Boozer esque. He fills a huge need at PF.

If I had the choice right now it would be Brewer. He plays so hard on both ends of the court and is a winner. Something the Celtics are desperate for.

Not getting #1 or #2 also probably means the end of Pierce. :D

I just get tired of the jerky boys in here whe get off on trying to prove people wrong, and to argue for the sake of arguing it get's annoying. Nothin personal at all.

Most dont argue with you, just correct about 90% of what you post

Edited by Sgt. Ryan