[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the wierdest yet enjoyable movie you ever saw?

DMD

The movie that first came to my mind for weird and enjoyable was Blade Runner.

The dark view of L.A. in the future set the stage. Then I was intrigued by the concept of replicant technology. Ridley Scott's direction was brilliant and the casting was also perfect...Harrison Ford as the blade runner, Rutger Hauer as the powerful but flawed leader of the replicants, Daryl Hannah as a replicant, and Sean Young ( :D ) as Harrison Ford's love interest.

All in all, a great flick! :D

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harold and Maude - Still one of my alltime faves. So many levels of weird/kooky/odd/dark going on here. Not to mention the great soundtrack....then Cat Stevens goes a little bonkers later in life.

Blue Velvet - Still one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. I have to confess though....I didn't find that one "enjoyable". At the time, I would have sworn Hopper's character was very close to his true self.

Crimes of Passion - Odd movie....strangely addictive. Anthony Perkins' character is every bit as twisted as his Norman Bates.

Seven - I thought all the performances in this movie were incredibly strong.....which made it enjoyable. Even though it's one of the darkest, sickest crime stories ever told. I still find myself watching it a few times a year.

The movie that first came to my mind for weird and enjoyable was Blade Runner.

The dark view of L.A. in the future set the stage. Then I was intrigued by the concept of replicant technology. Ridley Scott's direction was brilliant and the casting was also perfect...Harrison Ford as the blade runner, Rutger Hauer as the powerful but flawed leader of the replicants, Daryl Hannah as a replicant, and Sean Young ( :D ) as Harrison Ford's love interest.

All in all, a great flick! :D

Did you watch both the release version and the director's cut? Different endings, and there were aspects of both that were intriguing.

Some good movies in this thread..

Recently for me there have been 2 movies I keep watching that are both weird and enjoyable and for completely different reasons.

1. Sin City - Love Rodriguez films in general. For me, there is something very dark and entrancing about Sin City. I loved comic books growing up and for me, it is as close to a comic book that a film can get. Mickey Rourke was fantastic in it and Jessica Alba was amazingly hot.

2. Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny - I am a huge fan of Tenacious D the band. If you are not familliar, Tenacious D is a comedic band with Jack Black as the front man. The movie is a fictitious story of how the band was formed. It is a blast! There are some good cameos in the movie and if you like Jack Black's brand of humor, you can't go wrong..

Blue Velvet - Still one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. I have to confess though....I didn't find that one "enjoyable". At the time, I would have sworn Hopper's character was very close to his true self.

Judging by some of the non-mainstream stuff Hopper has done, you may be right. Out Of The Blue is pretty nasty.

I don't know if it is considered a "weird" movie, but I always enjoyed "Papillon" with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. Some deep stuff going on in that movie.

(Judge in the dream)

"You have been found GUILTY---------of a wasted life."

Another weird movie I enjoy is "Strictly Ballroom." A little Australian movie by the same guy who made Moulin Rouge.

Another weird movie I enjoy is "Strictly Ballroom." A little Australian movie by the same guy who made Moulin Rouge.

That movie is good fun - "Son, can I bend yer ear for a tick?"

Anyone mention Eraserhead yet?

Yes, I did earlier.

Conspiracy Theory

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

Snatch

Lock stock and two smoking Barrells

These movies all come to mind that I have not noticed already mentioned.

I don't see anything weird about any of these.

Conspiracy Theory

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

Snatch

Lock stock and two smoking Barrells

I don't see anything weird about any of these.

Conspiracy Theory was pretty much a rote Die Hard-type actioner. Snatch and LSTSB were directed in an unorthodox style, but were basically your standard Tarantino-esque heist flick.

FaLinLV I'd agree was pretty weird. Especially for a mainstream audience. I love the book, so for me it didn't come off as "weird" - more like "faithful."

Has anyone mentioned any Fellini yet? After seeing La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2, I decided I couldn't make heads or tails of them. . .yet, they're somehow entertaining. I think. . . .