[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 NHL Draft..............

wildcat2334

i know the father ( mostly as an acquaintance from business ) of the # 2 pick ..was shocked as i did not even know that his son played hockey ..must be a great feeling to see you son make the big time or at least have a chance to make the big time in pro sports

Hey Hugh, what do you think of this Esposito kid? He was at one time the top prospect but his lack of drive, etc was what made him slip. I love the pick for the Pens. The reward could be hugh. He doesn't have to be a star in Pittsburgh as they have a couple of them already. Another Jordan Staal? Still thinks the Pens need to solidify their D.

Hey Hugh, what do you think of this Esposito kid? He was at one time the top prospect but his lack of drive, etc was what made him slip. I love the pick for the Pens. The reward could be hugh. He doesn't have to be a star in Pittsburgh as they have a couple of them already. Another Jordan Staal? Still thinks the Pens need to solidify their D.

Great pic. The Pens and the Rangers got great talent with later pics. This kid will be a star, and his motivational issues will disappear given the talent he'll be surrounded by. Agree about the defense. They need some shut-down blue liners. I'd love to see them go after Volchenkov, or a guy like that.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AtNd...p&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Rangers solved their problems at center in a big way Sunday, signing Scott Gomez and Chris Drury away from Eastern Conference rivals on the first day of free agency.

:D:D:tup::doh::D:D:clap:

I like what the Flyers have done. Signed Briere and traded for Timonen and Hartnell. I would have liked them to keep Pitkanen for another year or two. I really think he is going to be a good D which the Flyers could use.

Edited by ebartender

This makes me throw up in my mouth.

+1

Poor Buffalo. They lose Briere and Drury. I don't mind the Devils losing Gomez(to NY) and Rafalski(to Detroit) at all. It's the fact that Gomez will still be in the Pens division as well as Drury and Briere. Oh, and f'k the Rangers. :D

(start rant) so a couple of years ago, the owners and the brass at the nhl decided that in order for the nhl to be balanced and equal a salary cap, amongst other items , was needed with not only a limit on spending but also a minimum (so the florida panthers of the world would at least have to try to look like they want to win) in order to try and give the small market teams a fair shot against the evil rangers,red wings, avs,flyers and leafs, who would just spend money wildly on the best , and even some not so good, free agents . the players said they would never accept a cap and the season was lost, heads of the players unions were fired and lawsuits were launched , what a mess. Now fast forward to today , the cap is over 50 million, players that have no reason making 6 and 7 million a year are cashing in again. so what in the hell was the point of the strike. the rangers go insane again, the flyers go insane again. i do not get it, the owners and the league had it right when the cap was 36 or 38 million. i have just about had it with hockey. (end rant)

the rangers go insane again

They let go of their top line center so they can bring in 2 solid centers. Even though Gomez and Drury are making a pretty penny, the rangers are staying under the salary cap and if the other teams aren't spending as much as the rangers are, thats their fault. I don't exactly see how the Rangers are going insane.

They let go of their top line center so they can bring in 2 solid centers. Even though Gomez and Drury are making a pretty penny, the rangers are staying under the salary cap and if the other teams aren't spending as much as the rangers are, thats their fault. I don't exactly see how the Rangers are going insane.

sorry, maybe using the word "insane" was to much, but as a fan , you have no problem seeing gomez making over 7 mil a season for the next 7 years. and a 30 year old drury making over 7 mil for the next 5 years. and briere making 6.5 for the next 8 years? to me, signings like this are the exact thing that got the league in trouble three years ago. i love hockey, been a fan since i was old enough to know what i was watching, but i really find it frustrating to lose one season in order to create a fair playing field for all teams to be competative only to blow it all up in a couple of years so the wealthy teams can again take advantage?

Edited by The Darkside

(start rant) so a couple of years ago, the owners and the brass at the nhl decided that in order for the nhl to be balanced and equal a salary cap, amongst other items , was needed with not only a limit on spending but also a minimum (so the florida panthers of the world would at least have to try to look like they want to win) in order to try and give the small market teams a fair shot against the evil rangers,red wings, avs,flyers and leafs, who would just spend money wildly on the best , and even some not so good, free agents . the players said they would never accept a cap and the season was lost, heads of the players unions were fired and lawsuits were launched , what a mess. Now fast forward to today , the cap is over 50 million, players that have no reason making 6 and 7 million a year are cashing in again. so what in the hell was the point of the strike. the rangers go insane again, the flyers go insane again. i do not get it, the owners and the league had it right when the cap was 36 or 38 million. i have just about had it with hockey. (end rant)

The problem with the NHL is that there are too many teams. There is no reason to have teams in Columbus, Nashville, Florida, Carolina, Atlanta, 3 in Californioa, etc. You can easily cut the league down by 6-8 teams and you would have a much better product. Until they NHL realizes that you will have a watered down product.

sorry, maybe using the word "insane" was to much, but as a fan , you have no problem seeing gomez making over 7 mil a season for the next 7 years. and a 30 year old drury making over 7 mil for the next 5 years. and briere making 6.5 for the next 8 years? to me, signings like this are the exact thing that got the league in trouble three years ago. i love hockey, been a fan since i was old enough to know what i was watching, but i really find it frustrating to lose one season in order to create a fair playing field for all teams to be competative only to blow it all up in a couple of years so the wealthy teams can again take advantage?

The NHL isn't going downhill because teams like the Rangers and Flyers are signing big names for big money. The NHL is going downhill because it keeps expanding into cities that don't care about hockey. This year, after the Ducks won the cup, how many people in California actually cared? Not many, because Bettman is too much of a idiot to realize he is killing the sport. Him, and many other owners, only care about the money, not the game or the fans. To bring this sport back, the league has to contract, not expand, and put someone in charge that actually cares about hockey. People should stop worrying about teams spending too much money and start worrying about putting teams where people would actually care.

i agree, there are to many teams in to many places that do not give crap about hockey. i also agree that bettman needs to be shown the door and a actual hockey person brought in. while replacing bettman might happen, the odds of teams being contracted and folded up i think are slim and none. they will move them from city to city before they ever contracted. i am not versed in unions, but how do you tell say , +/- 125 union players they no longer have jobs? i still beleve that given a chance that a nhl with a cap around the 38 million mark, where it started off, would work, maybe i'm wrong, not the first time , wont be the last, but i do appreciate the back and forth and difference of opinion.

Edited by The Darkside

i agree, there are to many teams in to many places that do not give crap about hockey. i also agree that bettman needs to be show the door and a actual hockey person brought in. while replacing bettman might happen, the odds of teams being contracted and folded up i think are slim and none. they will move them from city to city before they ever contracted. i am not versed in unions, but how do you tell say , +/- 125 union players they no longer have jobs? i still beleve that given a chance that a nhl with a cap around the 38 million mark, where it started off, would work, maybe i'm wrong, not the first time , wont be the last, but i do appreciate the back and forth and difference of opinion.

I agree that teams will be moved from city to city before being contracted because it would be difficult to narrow it down drastically. I think it could be done over time though. I'm not quite sure how exactly it would be contracted, but i figure if the league tries to Josh Gordon out a few teams over the years, it should work out.

how do you tell say , +/- 125 union players they no longer have jobs?

By having the other 500+ players vote on it. If the NHL contracted then the top players would make more money and be on more competitive teams. A lot of the teams in hockey are losing money from what I understand anyway. Nashville draws under 14,000 fans a game. The Flyers' minor league team draws only a little less then that. Have the owners of the teams who would stay, buy out the owners who will be losing their teams. I know this will never happen but in the long run it will help the sport, owners, and players.

I agree that teams will be moved from city to city before being contracted because it would be difficult to narrow it down drastically. I think it could be done over time though. I'm not quite sure how exactly it would be contracted, but i figure if the league tries to Josh Gordon out a few teams over the years, it should work out.

I agree there are certain places where the NHL is doomed to failure. I can see experimenting with one team in Florida, but two? Atlanta had their awhile back with the Flames. I say let Nashville move to Hamilton or wherever in Canada. I feel bad for cities like Winnipeg and Quebec who lost their teams before the cap was started. I think teams in those cities would flourish now with a cap installed. And who the hell decided to put a team in Columbus? I could see Cincy or Cleveland, but Columbus? I think the Canadian cities mentioned above dserve another shot wih a cap in place. Hockey is/was a North American game, mainly Canadian in the early years. Go ahead and move nashville to Hamilton, Pheonix back to Winnipeg and get a team back in Quebec. I can't believe I just said that. :D