[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, did anyone else have a water main break today?

KICK A$$ BLASTER

I just finished my golf club's member guest tournament tonight and we had a very nice diner to end the event. After a few gin and tonics my wife tells me she is in THE MOOD and we should probably go home. Well we pull up and there is a geyser of water coming out from under my driveway . I turned off the water from our meter and called our local water company...Well it looks like I am SOL...The guy that came out said that 1. Our insurance will probably not cover the break, and 2. It's going to run us $5,000 to $6,000 to get this thing fixed.....

Now not only did I NOT get laid tonight, I will not have any water for up to four days, and my trip to Seattle and Hawaii for two Boise State football games have now been nixed.... :D

F**K!!!!

Carry on...

...The guy that came out said that 1. Our insurance will probably not cover the break, and 2. It's going to run us $5,000 to $6,000 to get this thing fixed.....

Is it the water main or your service line? If it's the main it's not your problem. If it's the service line it is. $5000 seems WAY high to me. I work for a contractor that does all the work for the gas company around here. We do a few water services on the side for people. The last one we did for $300 in about 4 hours. :D

Ask around. If you know a friend of a friend that works for the water company you can probly save alot of money.

Is it the water main or your service line? If it's the main it's not your problem. If it's the service line it is. $5000 seems WAY high to me. I work for a contractor that does all the work for the gas company around here. We do a few water services on the side for people. The last one we did for $300 in about 4 hours. :D

Ask around. If you know a friend of a friend that works for the water company you can probly save alot of money.

I'm sure it's the service line. There's no way a main would be running under his driveway. $5000 doesn't seem unrealistic to me, either. They're likely going to just run a new service line to the house versus fixing the old one. Around here, the city charges $750 just to give you the honor of tapping into the water main with a 3/4'' supply line. It's $1250 if you want 1'' line (as an aside... you DO want 1'' line). Then they have to run it to the house with a special tool to not disturb the yard. With all of the excavation, labor, and material costs, I'm not surprised at a $5000 quote. It does suck, though.

Well, I now have water, thanks to my neighbors, but I will have to wait until tomorrow to see where the problem is. The break is between the meter and driveway. The plumber who came said that if the problem is next to the meter( which he thinks it is) it would be an easy fix, probably around $750 to $1000. But if the problem is under the driveway, it's going to get rather expensive, something in the $4000 to $5000 range. That would also include the cost of the new driveway....

It's nice to be able to use the toilets again. I got busted taking a leak off the deck this morning, my wife has no sence of humor today...

Carry on...

I got busted taking a leak off the deck this morning,

OH HELL NO!!!

That is a mans god given right, why else would we have a hose to use? You need to lay down some man laws around your house.

My whole well and pump system didn't cost $5000!!! HOly schit.

Well, I now have water, thanks to my neighbors, but I will have to wait until tomorrow to see where the problem is. The break is between the meter and driveway. The plumber who came said that if the problem is next to the meter( which he thinks it is) it would be an easy fix, probably around $750 to $1000. But if the problem is under the driveway, it's going to get rather expensive, something in the $4000 to $5000 range. That would also include the cost of the new driveway....

It's nice to be able to use the toilets again. I got busted taking a leak off the deck this morning, my wife has no sence of humor today...

Carry on...

I'm assuming that if you had a break in your line, it is probably an older one, probably made of galvanized. If that's the case, and if you can't do the quick/easy fix at the meter, I would seriously consider just running a whole new copper line to your house. It would probably be a wash in terms of cost, and you'd have a solid copper line that would be far less likely to break in the future. Just my thoughts.

I do this type of work and the price is too high!

They have machines that can navigate under ground by remote and you can have a new line ran from your meter to your foundation or whereever for far less then that.

I'd estimate you should pay no more then $1500 for a new 1" plastic water line to your house. That would be up to 50' worth of line.

Get a few more quotes, more then likely you called a service plumbing company and they are outrageous for work like thiis, call a residential plumibng contractor.

Edited by theeohiostate

I'm assuming that if you had a break in your line, it is probably an older one, probably made of galvanized. If that's the case, and if you can't do the quick/easy fix at the meter, I would seriously consider just running a whole new copper line to your house. It would probably be a wash in terms of cost, and you'd have a solid copper line that would be far less likely to break in the future. Just my thoughts.

Around here the meter is in the basement and there's a shutoff valve at the curb. I assume if the break is under his driveway it's between the two. You should be able to run from the valve to the meter for alot less $$ than was quoted above be it copper or plastic. A hole at the curb valve and a hole at the basement wall and you can punch between the two.

I will be finding out in the am what this is going to run....It's about 40 feet from my meter to my main shut off valve under the house. Also, the pipe that runs into the house is a flexible plastic( that's the best I can describe)

The guy that came today thought it wouldn't be a big job. But if they had to "Jack up" the driveway it would expensive

Around here the meter is in the basement and there's a shutoff valve at the curb. I assume if the break is under his driveway it's between the two. You should be able to run from the valve to the meter for alot less $$ than was quoted above be it copper or plastic. A hole at the curb valve and a hole at the basement wall and you can punch between the two.

In older places (here, at least) the meter is where the shutoff is, usually in the outlawn. That's what I was assuming when I saw this. You're right, though, if the leak is between the meter/shutoff and the house, it should be less than the $5000... for some reason I was thinking they'd have to tap into the main, which they obviously shouldn't.

I will be finding out in the am what this is going to run....It's about 40 feet from my meter to my main shut off valve under the house. Also, the pipe that runs into the house is a flexible plastic( that's the best I can describe)

The guy that came today thought it wouldn't be a big job. But if they had to "Jack up" the driveway it would expensive

As others have said, there's really no reason that they should have to do anything to the driveway. If the break is under the driveway, the best thing to do is to just run a new line, which they can do without disturbing the surface.