[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper a Raider

RaiderSteve

I've never understood this philosophy or agreed with it. Most of the better QB's take their licks for a few games and sometimes a full season but start showing a lot of improvement fairly quickly. McNair and Palmer are two in recent memory that seemed to benefit from watching first but who's to say they would just be further along by now if they were thrown to the wolves from the jump? The Titans might have made the playoffs last year if Young started from day 1. He seemed to show improvement every week. If I'm going to pay a player top 5 money then he needs to be on the field learning not holding a clipboard.

What you said makes sense but it goes back to what Swerski said, which is some quarterbacks can lose their confidence early. I agree with that 100%. Key word though is SOME. The challenge is deciding which quarterbacks would benefit from being thrown into the lions.

What you said makes sense but it goes back to what Swerski said, which is some quarterbacks can lose their confidence early. I agree with that 100%. Key word though is SOME. The challenge is deciding which quarterbacks would benefit from being thrown into the lions.

It worked really well for David Carr.

In addition to McNabb and Palmer, Brees, Vick, and Grossman weren't thrown into the driver's seat on their bad teams right off the bat, either. That probably benefitted them in the long run, as they probably didn't even know the playbook all that well.

Agreed that certain people can do it, but I've always thought that it's best to error on the side of caution.

Yeah but if you're a big time franchise starting QB and you have confidence issues, you're probably not going to make it in the NFL to begin with. I want to see how my guy deals with adversity not what his celebration dance looks like because he tossed a TD. At the end of the day you are who you are. Recent high draft pick guys like Carr, Harrington and Couch sucked because they SUCK.

Finding a stud NFL QB, ain't easy. What is there about 3-5 of them? There is another 5-10 that are good, the rest are average to sucky. I say throw em to the wolves and see what you got. Diapers and training wheels are for children.

What not to do on a booze cruise?

It is a shame that everyone knew he'd be a Raider. I think it speaks volumes about that organization that 150% of the people on this planet (and a few not ov this earth as well) knew as soon as the Fish let him go, he would wind up in Oakland.

Retread City, baby. :cheesyaldavislogo:

Actually, quite a few had him pegged to end up in Jacksonville. Turns out Culp(he's his own agent) wanted more money and a chance to compete for a starting job. The Jags said, "no thanks". So the Jags go out and pick up Tim Couch, only because their 3rd string QB Quinn Grey is banged up. So Couch will be sitting on his namesake again very soon. As for the Raiders and Culpepper? Good luck with that one Al. Just win baby. :D

Actually, quite a few had him pegged to end up in Jacksonville. Turns out Culp(he's his own agent) wanted more money and a chance to compete for a starting job. The Jags said, "no thanks". So the Jags go out and pick up Tim Couch, only because their 3rd string QB Quinn Grey is banged up. So Couch will be sitting on his namesake again very soon. As for the Raiders and Culpepper? Good luck with that one Al. Just win baby. :D

Actually, I think its a good move. CPep might recover a little of his form, and he is a veteran and generally a pretty good team guy. I'd rather have him out there and Jamarcus handling the watch and learn clipboard than throwing Russell to the wolves too soon. And this is not a great Raiders offense. The O-line is ok, maybe even good, and maybe Russell will be a first year phenom (or not), but there is not a ton of talent out there on offense, and I don't want our future potential franchise QB running for his life while his receivers struggle to get open.

Besides, when Tim Couch is getting picked up out of free agency, you know there are not a lot of great QBs available.

The most humorous comment I've heard on this was C-Pep's assessment that the Raiders met his signing criteria when looking for a new team.

Methinks: What, they actually agreed to offer you a deal? :D

I think that they were the only one that would allow him to compete for the starting position.

I think that they were the only one that would allow him to compete for the starting position.

Probably true. Daunte Culpepper still believes he can start in the NFL. And personally I think that is the way I want a QB to feel. The guy was at the top of the NFL 3 years ago. Maybe he can have a good year with the Raiders and get another starting spot next year when the Raiders put Jamarcus Russel out front.

If he proves he's healthy and shows any kind of success he'll get another shot. He's still young and doesn't have a lot of playing mileage. I really don't know whay a team with QB questions like TB or Jacksonville wouldn't take a shot on him. That is unless C-Pep is over estimating his value and asking for too much.

I think he is an idiot, so when Russell is ready to play next year, or this year, Culpepper has to go to another new team and start from scratch in '08.

He should pick a team he could stay with a year get 100% healthy and plan to kick ass in 2008 when they need a new QB.

Ravens, Packers, Panthers, Bears, Bucs, Jags or Chiefs. Some place he has a chance to be the guy again in a year or so.

Basically what Fishy said...didn't see that post.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm