[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andra Davis UPDATE

keggerz

http://admin.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=7240

Davis says he'll play Sunday

Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer

Linebacker Andra Davis has missed the club's last three preseason games with an ankle injury but said he'll be on the field Sunday for the team's season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Head Coach Romeo Crennel said Wednesday Davis took some reps in practice Monday and came out okay. His involvement in Wednesday's practice will be released later.

"I'll be out there. I'll be ready," Davis said. "I'm good. I've been taking care of myself and I'm ready to go."

It's crucial the long-time Brown and five-year starter be available Sunday as the club battles its archrival in the first game of the season.

Davis said Sunday is vital in setting a tone of winning for the 2007 season.

"We all know what's at stake," Davis said. "To get the season started off right would be great. We need to win this game."

Davis admitted the rivalry between the Browns and Steelers hasn't been especially competitive lately, but said he hopes that's in the past now.

As for the game, he said it's a big one regardless of the opponent. The Browns are just 28-52 since Davis joined the club. He said it's time to start winning games.

"We just want to win," Davis said. "We're not in a situation where we just want to pick out one team to beat all the time. We just need to win period no matter who it is. We need to win. Period."

Davis got some additional good news Wednesday, as he was voted a captain of the club along with Joe Jurevicius, Hank Fraley, and Willie McGinest. Steve Heiden and Sean Jones will serve as alternate captains.

With 57 career starts in 73 games, Davis has led the team in tackles three of the past four seasons and has totaled 595 tackles and 8.5 sacks in his career. He has started more games for the Browns since 2003 than any other player on the club's roster.

Meanwhile, Davis, 28, has been an equally influential leader off the field.

"It's a great honor," Davis said of being voted captain. "It shows you your teammates respect you.

"Everybody knows what they're going to get from me. I'm not going to be all 'rah, rah' in their face. I'm going to come out and lead by example, get ready and be a professional on and off the field. That's me."

Andra Davis

Edited by keggerz